Preference: Charcoal or no?

I'm running one now and it doesn't seem to reduce smells at all. I still get fumigated by old diesel trucks for example.
That's a shame to hear. I didn't pay a lot for it so it doesn't bother me that much. I'm gonna install mine around July.

We didn't need no CAFs in the past and almost all of us survived.
They can keep their ashtrays too. I grind my cigarettes out in my wife's eye....and she's grateful for it.
We used to climb trees and jumped down and sought to land on our heads, we didn't need no helmets.
Didn't need no nanny state. neither.
Also, ban power steering. It'll take a lot of women off the road.
Let 'em steal my cat. I bypassed it years ago. I have a stockpiles of leaded fuel. leaded paint and asbestos sleepwear for the kids!

Seriously, just keeping the old grouchy ones happy.

Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again...

I'm surprised they're effective for that long but it sounds like they make a difference.

So how could that work? They would have to absorb or adsorb the relevant organic chemicals, then slowly release them at a rate that is imperceptible. Otherwise they would just stop working after a few minutes/hours/days.

I'm not a big fan of hog odours. We visited a communal farm some years ago and they really wanted to show me their hog operation. The smell was so bad I couldn't get through the door. And my down filled jacket was intolerable for months afterwards.
The Purolator Boss (has a carbon layer) is pretty effective but you need to change your cabin filter about every six months or so in my opinion.

So bye bye "once a year and it's done".

On the upside, if any trash falls into the filter, it won't just sit there and accumulate for long.

I use carbon where specified by the manufacturer, but the charcoal does seem to lose its effectiveness very quickly based on this and the referenced study

They seem to recommend a filter that has a separate carbon element, but I am not aware of the existence of any such filter.

They seem to recommend a filter that has a separate carbon element, but I am not aware of the existence of any such filter.

Me neither. Worth noting that that site is tailored towards building indoor air quality and those air purifiers do use a separate carbon filter.

The referenced cabin filter study is neat though. I found it interesting how ineffective the aftermarket filters were at adsorbing VOCs compared to OEM filters, I assume due to the amount of activated charcoal? The blue micronAir lookalike filters were not comparable either. But on the other hand, the activated charcoal doesn't last very long so it seems like a moot point, unless you're changing cabin filters annually or live in an area with high VOCs in the environment.

I use the factory cabin filter as I wouldn't want to increase the restriction on the AC system and cause premature wear.

I have been using activated carbon CAFs for twenty years. I have never noticed them not eliminating or at least reducing odors. I'm talking mostly about being stuck in traffic behind a Diesel. It can get dusty here and who knows what spores grow in the pleats especially during the rainy season? That's why I replace the CAF every spring.
I just read my own earlier post and noticed I left out "not." Inserted in bold as it completely changes the meaning. Proof? I have an activated carbon Hengst CAF in there right now. Also, I can't say I have noticed activated carbon CAFs lose their effectiveness in eliminating odors throughout their service life.

Back