Preference: Charcoal or no?

Bought a Fram Fresh Breeze with charcoal when they first came out, hated it. It cut the flow so much after about a week. I keep teeling people the Midwest fine farm dirt particulate clogs filters of all sorts really quickly. You should see what comes off a vinyl LP, after 30 minutes of playing a record cleaned right before you played it.

I just replaced mine with OEM whichbis charcoal imprenated. The KIA OEM is surprisingly well made and about the same price, same with the engine filter. The parts counter guy gave me a 15% discount. I can tell you the oe caf fit way better than the fram and had more pleats, I wish I would have taken a pic.

Charcoal. Just "why not" for the same or close price. The ones I've used don't stop skunks though.
Mostly, we don't smell many trucks or bad cat cars.
Of course, not smelling things while driving doesn't mean the filter filtered them out! Maybe they weren't there. Lack of evidence proves it works = NOT. ;)

Not all charcoal filters are the same. The quality of activation of the charcoal is key. This is not straight charcoal, rather it must go through and extensive "activation" process that increase to pores and cavities of the charcoal particles to make it capable of adsorbing the pollution. I cam across this article, it is quite interesting https://pureflowair.com/blogs/post/what-is-activated-charcoal

Toyota charcoal is ridiculously expensive, so I used EP Auto from Amazon.

Bosch HEPA is very restrictive from the start.
Mann Frecious Plus, in my experience is also very restrictive, not as much as Bosch HEPA, but noticeable compared to regular Mann Charcoal.

While the carbon/charcoal filters do reduce odours and increase filtration compared to regular media.

They don't last as long as the increased pressure drop results in a noisy fan with little air flow.

Non, mostly because it's not my car and what she doesn't know won't hurt me. ;)

Since we don't park outside now I'd be tempted to get charcoal next time, it probably will last and not make me that sad to replace. Park outside and/or drive during heavy pollen season and maybe that'd be different--as would if rodents were a problem.

Fram for the Outback. Mahle or Mann for the E350. The Mann and Mahle are both OEM, and thus are charcoal. But I don't go out of my way to buy charcoal.

My expectation for cabin filters is that they capture the bugs, dust, and sand. I am also very skeptical that a charcoal infused filter media, exposed in a relatively open environment, will not become absorbed in a very short time.

Toyota charcoal is ridiculously expensive, so I used EP Auto from Amazon.

Bosch HEPA is very restrictive from the start.
Mann Frecious Plus, in my experience is also very restrictive, not as much as Bosch HEPA, but noticeable compared to regular Mann Charcoal.
How is the fitment of the EP Auto compared to the OE?

I notice the pleats are much thicker than OE, this will induce restriction?

How is the fitment of the EP Auto compared to the OE?

I notice the pleats are much thicker than OE, this will induce restriction?
Works just fine. Toyota does sell charcoal filters also, but I'm not paying $50 for a cabin filter from the parts dealership.

The charcoal element does induce restriction restriction, but no where near the level of a Bosch HEPA or Mann FresciousPlus filter.

Works just fine. Toyota does sell charcoal filters also, but I'm not paying $50 for a cabin filter from the parts dealership.

The charcoal element does induce restriction restriction, but no where near the level of a Bosch HEPA or Mann FresciousPlus filter.
Exactly. Although I get them at discounted price, it is still, much expensive compared to the EP Auto.

The fitment on the OE is not 100%. There is actually a tiny gap at the end.

Although the OE filter is very thin (less restriction).

Charcoal filters last at most a couple weeks as far as being effective and I think I am being generous in saying that. Kind of like putting nitrogen in your tires... if it makes you happy so be it, it also makes the manufacturers happy.

Back