pre-fill filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a 1990 Ford F-150 4.9L

I know that pre-filling the filter is a good idea to reduce the amount of time the engine runs with no oil pressure on that first start up. I just changed the oil in my truck today (started the first Auto-RX rinse phase). I'm using Shell Rotella 15w-40 and I know that the thickness of the oil is contributing to the length of time with no oil pressure. That's why I want to pre-fill the filter next time to avoid this. Once I'm done with the Auto-RX, I'll probably starting using Rotella synth. 5w-40, which will aid with the dry start.

Anyway, here's my question...The filter mounts horizontally on the side of the block, not on an angle or anything, it just sticks straight out from the side of the block. Is there a way to pre-fill the filter that I won't have all my fresh oil spilling all over me and in my drain pan? The filter holds a quart of oil, and I don't want my nice expensive synthetic oil going to waste, but I also don't want a dry start either. Any suggestions?

Changed oil today and did prefill the filter about half full. And to my surprise it did not leak out spinning it on. When I fired it up, the oil pressure light was on for about 2.5 seconds, not quite ready to say 3 one thousand, and heard no audible valvetrain clatter. Never have on this engine.
cheers.gif
driving.gif

I pre fill my filter, but I dont fill it to overflowing. I fill a dry filter about half to three-quarters of the way up, and then turn the filter so that the oil coats the media all around. Doing this 2-3 times leaves no noticable oil in the filter, but obviously it has whetted the media, which is the important part.

It will o on cleanly and easily at that point, no worries. My oil pressure light doesnt even stay on 3 seconds when I do this - usually after a good, thurough oil change, it barel stays on any longer than if I was just starting the engine - i.e. barely.

JMH

thanks for the responses. my problem is that when i change the oil with a dry filter, there is a good 10 seconds of severe engine knock (my neighbor came out to ask if the truck blew up today, there was that much noise...) I know that it's because of the large capacity of the filter and the thickness of the oil (it doesn't do it for nearly as long when using a 5w oil or the slightly smaller ST filter). I guess maybe I will try to fill it up about half way to minimize spilling. I guess it's got to better than nothing in there at all.

I know this will sound strange but you could use a smaller filter. It will fill up faster. I use a smaller one on my I.H. to stop the rattles.

IMO the rattling does much more damage than a slightly smaller filter would.

The ST16 will work where the #8 does.

I do like those above did.
Fill half full, tip just enough so oil 'almost but not quit' runs out center hole, and rotate so media soaks up a bunch. Oil the gasket, maybe put a bit more oil in filter and carefully and quickly thread filter on.
If drain back valve is working(never missed yet) you shouldn't spill any oil.
Pressure is there in a second or two.
Secret is to hold your mouth just so and close your left eye.
laugh.gif

just a suggestion. pour that last quart in as you start the car so that there is oil there to coat as it drains down.

I had an '84 with the 4.9.
Pre fill the filter 3/4 full.
Then drain oil and comence with what ever you need to do.
The oil will soak in the element buy the time you need to install it.

I always pretty well fill to the top (with Delvac 1
wink.gif
) the two filters that spin on to the side of our Nissan diesel block and hardly lose anything when spinning them on.
One is a standard 3/4" thread, the other 1".

Some cars with fuel injection (you will have to check this) shut off the gas if you floor the gas pedal. If this is true of your ford you can floor it and then crank the engine until the oil light goes out. Make sure you stop cranking before letting up on the pedal or it will start. Good Luck, RW

Didn't we talk about how some oils/containers are dirty right from the factory and prefilling(bypassing the filter media)is not a good idea?

If its dirty from the factory, no matter what you do its going to be putting dirt into the engine if you add oil via the sump or pre filling it. Doesnt make a difference.

Quote:

I know that it's because of the large capacity of the filter and the thickness of the oil ( it doesn't do it for nearly as long when using a 5w oil or the slightly smaller ST filter). I guess maybe I will try to fill it up about half way to minimize spilling. I guess it's got to better than nothing in there at all.

Thanks for proving that I'd be using a 5w oil EVERYTIME.

If its that slow to pump up when dry, your not doing the engine ANY good durning normal starts.

Use a 5w-30 oil and get the oil moving quicker thoughout the engine durning EVERY start.
thumbsup.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

I not only don't prefill my oil filter, I don't even pour oil into the crankcase. ('Course when I start my little Hyundai V6, people in Canada stop what they're doing, cock their heads southward, look up, and ask, "What's that noise, eh?")

If you know how the oil goes into and exits the oil filter, it does not make total since to pre-fill your filter.

If you change the oil and filter within a reasonable amount of time, the oil pump will still be primed and the engine coated with enough oil to protect your engine while the oil filter fills.

Quote:

If you know how the oil goes into and exits the oil filter, it does not make total since to pre-fill your filter.

If you change the oil and filter within a reasonable amount of time, the oil pump will still be primed and the engine coated with enough oil to protect your engine while the oil filter fills.

Agreed!

My knowledge of internal engine oil plumbing is severly lacking, so having said that: Is there something in the way of the new oil getting into the filter by gravity?

Both of my vehicles have the filter at the bottom of the engine, won't the oil just flow down into them as the new oil is added?

If I understand your statement, Tempest, the answer is no.
The oil pump is what pushes the oil through the filter, it would be a 'block' to any crankcase oil getting in there without the engine running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back