Running on 9 1/2 year old gas.

'94 Cadillac Fleetwood has been parked at least 6 years although I try to start and run the engine for a minute every 4-6 months. This morning I threw a battery on it and it started in 10 seconds. Lowered tire pressures from storage pressure and drove it home 60 miles with no problems. Checking my file and see the last time I filled up was October 28, 2014. Cant feel anything unusual in how it drives. Maybe because it was premium gas? My Saturn Ion which had 5 year old regular had some pinging until I used up that gas and refueled. So does premium degrade less than regular over time? I'm at a quarter tank and want to burn off as much as I dare before filling it up again.

I let a BMW sit for about 14 months.
Dumped 5 gallons of new gas to go with the maybe 5 gallons in it.
It ran ok
After a week and a few tanks, fuel pump died

Photos of a carb set on a Yamaha XS-1100. Pure gas (not ethanol) that had sat for about 5 to 6 years. The bike was leaned up against a shed wall; so two of the carbs (high side) drained out and the two low side carbs filled up with gas that turned very funky over the years.

Z

CCD7301F-019C-4265-922E-621593431DD1.jpeg

DFD37801-5C05-47D5-8E63-60E93F26E005.jpeg

My little 9.9 hp outboard probably burns a gallon of fuel a year. Every year I add a little new gas/oil mix to what’s in the tank but that means there’s a least a little bit of gas in that tank that’s 10 years old now. It still seems to start and run OK every year.

As much as you want to get it out of there, I'd throw at least the same amount thats in the tank now, then do it again at quarter tank. Then change the fuel filter!

There was a local junk yard owner who would get mostly older cars into his business. He would drain the old gas and put it in his work truck. That truck came into the local shop because it had a couple of stuck valves. So the shop took the heads off, went through them, had the valves ground, put them back on and sent him on his way. Six months later, his truck was back again for stuck valves. The truck owner tried to get the shop to pay for the rework…until the shop owner took the truck’s gas cap off and had him sniff the varnish fumes coming out of the gas tank. The bad gas residue was building up on the valve stems and would make the valves stick open. Was that 100% of the problem? I don’t know, but the truck had no problems after that when the owner was using fresh gas.

Why has this vehicle been sitting around that long ?
About 6 years ago it started making a rattling noise from under the hood. Sounded like the water pump impeller was loose and scraping the housing. Just parked until I had more time to deal with it. Last week I took the cover off the pump to check the impeller and it was good and tight, and it's not making that noise again. Put it back on the road for a Cadillac show tomorrow.

Lowered tire pressures from storage pressure and drove it home 60 miles with no problems.
What storage pressure do you recommend? I have a 1988 Chevy S10 4.3 that sits in the garage a lot, rarely ever driven.
It has several year old old 87 E10 gas in it, starts right up and idles smoothly.
(Only has 101,000 miles, bought it new in '88. I have "Classic Antique" registration $50/5 years with the original 1988 issued license plates ☺)

What’s it like to drive being that long? All the ones I’ve seen in the UK are the later ones and they rust to bits.

Back