PP mileage question , NO I'm not a Newbie lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I haven't logged in since the last K-Mart $4/gal deal a couple of months ago lol. I have so much oil, I really haven't been looking for deal...I haven't been bitten by the "stash" bug. Anyway to my question and I need some clarity on this.

My GS has 113k; I purchased it in May/11 with 78k. I used to do a lot of commuting when I was living in Alabama (around 75 miles per day). Since moving from Alabama (5/12) to Houston, I've put 4800 miles on my car to date. 800 of those miles was the drive to Houston. I've been blessed to find a great job near the River Oaks area and I live 10-15 minutes away which is great...no more commuting, well until I look for a home!

Before I moved to Houston, I changed the oil and put PP and used a Fram XG filter. My question is, will ths oil last between 7-8k oci with approx. 80% city driving and 20% highway? This engine is the I-6 and I've added about .5 qt of syn oil during this time frame. I typically don't use the highway in Houston until the weekend. I'm new to syn oil and I know that PP is a great oil, but I'm typically just a dino 5k oci guy. Even my stash I picked up from K-Mart is mostly dino with a sprinkle of syn oil that I could find.

Any thoughts on this will be helpful. Side note...I really hate that I have all of this oil and no place to change it yet. I couldn't find a decent apt that had an attached garage, which sucks.

Not sure exactly what oil you have stocked up on, but as most of your driving is in city I would class your use as fairly near the severe service end of things. This means it would be best to change oil twice as often as recommended until a UOA proves you can increase the interval.
I've seen some bad UOA results from cars that are used mostly in town, even with a top quality fully synthetic oil, but if you do what I do and just change oil twice often it will offer much better protection to the engine.
In general terms for an engine in good condition that is subject to severe service conditions and doing half recommended OCI's there is no real need to change the oil filter before the normal service interval, so if your car has a recommended service interval of 10K miles, then I would change just the oil at 6K and then do a full oil and filter service 4K later, as that compensates for the increased residual oil in the filter.
Dirty filters work better than new ones until they block, so it helps not to change filters too often, BUT always use a top quality filter as a bad one can cause real harm.

Last edited:
I think you will have no issues whatsoever runing PP for 7-8,000 miles using a good name brand oil filter like PureOne, WIX etc. My driving pattern is approx the same for my CX7 turbo Mazda and several UOAs demonstrate that 6-8K is very doable. Ed

Last edited:
I use PP for a goal of 7500 OCIs on my Jeep GC. Unless I find some PU. I will pull a UOA on my Jeep GC soon as the reman engine will finally have enough mileage so break-in will be complete.

Great. Thanks for the responses. I thought that it was ok, but wanted to get thoughts from people who actually use this oil. I planned on keeping it in until 7-8k

Engine smoothness and short term fuel mileage might be one indicator of the oil still being healthy when you get start to eclipse the 6K mark. When the add pack gets used up the engine will get rough and noisy. Maybe get a home TBN test kit and check at 1k interval when you get past 5K.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Engine smoothness and short term fuel mileage might be one indicator of the oil still being healthy when you get start to eclipse the 6K mark. When the add pack gets used up the engine will get rough and noisy. Maybe get a home TBN test kit and check at 1k interval when you get past 5K.

Never hear of a home TBN kit. I assume its more than litmus paper? Please expand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back