PP in new jug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hav

Is the PP in the new jug a little thinner that the old one. I am using 5W30 for my 1MZFE and i have my oil light staying on a little longer at start up (1-2 seconds) after I changed to the new PP. Using a Pure one filter.

sometimes i hear a little noise in the morning during the first startup

If you changed to a new brand/type of filter at the same time that you changed the oil I would tend to suspect the filter rather than the oil. Perhaps you got one with a weak anti-backflow valve.

As to whether PP in the new bottle is thinner than prior PP, I would highly suspect it is not, but to be sure you'd have to look at an old vs. new datasheet or a set of VOAs from the same lab. In any case, it is not obvious to me that slightly thinner old is going to pump up to the pressure required to turn of the light slower than slightly thicker oil. If anything the reverse might be true. I would expect a slightly thinner oil to pump to pressure a little quicker but the peak pressure would be slightly lower.

then maybe the drain back valve on that filter is not functioning properly. I just had that happen recently on a white can for the first time.

Allright, then should I change the filter or leave it like that?
Too bad that a good filter like pure one has poor quality control.

I changed it when mine did that. I just dont like to hear that dry start noise,that bothers me. BTW,good idea using Synthetic in that motor. They had sludge issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: engineerscott
If anything the reverse might be true. I would expect a slightly thinner oil to pump to pressure a little quicker but the peak pressure would be slightly lower.

That's what I was thinking. It sounds like there's a bad ADBV in the filter. Changing the filter would certainly be the easiest and probably cheapest first try. Especially if you've used PP in this same grade before. I suppose it could be that the oil was reformulated a bit to meet GF-5 specifications, but again, I don't think that'd have any bearing (so to speak) on startup noise.

So, +1 (or 2 or 3) on the filter.

Thanks a lot guys!
I will try getting the filter changed today.
I know of this motors reputation as a sludger and hence use only synthetic with 5K intervals. Oil comes out clean at the end of OCI even after 175,xxx miles

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hav
Thanks a lot guys!
I will try getting the filter changed today.
I know of this motors reputation as a sludger and hence use only synthetic with 5K intervals. Oil comes out clean at the end of OCI even after 175,xxx miles

Good to hear! Other than that,their good motors. keep the pcv in check as well. you`ll be fine.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
might as well get an oversized filter =)

Yeah,that doesnt hurt either probably. I just use the stock size on my 330. the 01 RX300 I had prior I used the oversize filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back