PP Burning off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else notice that PP tends to burn off more than other oils which leads to more topping up?

I am noticing on my 2005 300c HEMI that I have had to top up over a liter over the past month or so. Seems to happen when doing highway driving. Oil has 4300 miles on it.

It didn't happen at all with the Motormaster 5w20 Synthetic which is a Shell product through two oil changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been noted before that Pennzoil Platinum is more likely to do this the first time it's used in an engine. It happened on our van, which used a quart on the first sump full of Platinum. This only happened with sustained high speed highway driving. This same engine hasn't consumed any oil during the 2nd through 4th changes with PP (23,000 total miles). I don't think it's ever been determined why PP is more prone to doing this.

Like Samilcar said, my DD had a little more burn-off with PP the first time or two I used it, but now it burns very little...car has 150,000 miles on it and has always used a little.

I've used PP 5W-30 in my Montero, and never had to top up in the 6,250 miles that it was in service. I suppose driving style has a role to play as well.

I'm hoping you meant Forty three HUNDRED miles and not Forty three THOUSAND.

If it has been in there for 43,000 miles no wonder you're burning oil, it's more than likely the TBN has hit 0 and the protective/anti burn off qualities have completely stopped working.

If it has been in there for 4,300 this must be your first change with PP, it is well known to burn through a bit on the first change.

Had a similar experience with PP on a Ford Five Hundred I used to own. First time using it I actually had it seeping from the valve cover gaskets, do not remember having to top it up though. I kept using it and cleaned the motor up and it stopped seeping after the first oil change. My mom has the car now and still uses PP and has not had any issues. Give it a chance to do it's thing before deciding to switch to something else. Sounds to me like it is a decent oil for the money. I have no complaints about it.

Originally Posted By: Scorch
If it has been in there for 4,300 this must be your first change with PP, it is well known to burn through a bit on the first change.

Definitely not saying this is not possible, but I switched from PYB to PP in my 2008 Acadia and never saw an increase in oil consumption (unless this a "Pennzoil only" thing?).

But then again I recently did a 7500 OCI with PU in my FX4 with zero consumption during that OC.

There may be something to this.
We've all read before that an engine may see higher than typical consumption on its first couple of runs of PP.
Having previously used PP in both Accords, I dismissed this as an old wives tale.
Then, I tried PP in our Impreza.
I changed the oil with PP at 127.4K, and dumped in four quarts.
I had to add a quart after 1500 miles, and another 1500 later.
When I drained the oil at 131.4, I got back nearly four full quarts.
I then filled the thing with another four quarts of PP.
After 2400 miles, it had barely used a quart, so consumption does appear to be slowing.
Strange!
We'll see how the next run of PP goes in this thing.

Sorry guys, it was 4300 miles with a lot of them in the city. But the consumption occurs after a lot of highway driving.

So the first sump of PP is known to burn a bit? That's different. Does anyone know why?

Potentially getting more dirty due to cleaning? Viscosity loss?

I think this is the second sump full for this car. The first was in the winter run and it didn't burn a drop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlazerLT

It didn't happen at all with the Motormaster 5w20 Synthetic which is a Shell product through two oil changes.

You might as well change back to that then.

Yep, my crown vic uses more PP than motorcraft. Not sure why, never cares as the wear numbers on the UOA come back execellent with the PP. I really don;t care as long as the car does not produce smoke.

I am not a fan of oil burning in either context. I picked this oil up at Walmart on special and I hope it isn't a [censored] product.

I might try out Castrol Syntec 5w20 and see how it does. Anything I should worry about with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back