Poyal Rurple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dragged my step dad to PepBoys with me today to find an exhaust flange gasket. To my surprise there was Royal Purple 5w-30 on the shelf for $3.99. At first I thought it must be a misprint but the cashier confirmed it was correct.
My step father looked at me like I was nuts when I got all giddy over the price and grabbed two cases of it.
I run 5w-30 in my Silverado, but I've been trying to figure out which grade of RP I can run in my BMW Z3 with a 1.9L high revvvvving 4 cyl. I'm currently using Mobil-1 0w40. The owners manual has a goofy oil temperature chart that makes it look like it will chew up 5w-30 unless it's very cold out; it's supposed to be A3/B3 rated. The only A3 rated 5w-30 I've ever seen is BMW's own brand...

~Sail

You will do just fine with Royal Purple.

Unless you are at the Daytona 500 running 9000 RPM's for 3 hours straight......no need to worry if it isn't A3 rated.
smile.gif

I know what you mean. My '82 320i had that same chart (I just looked at it a few minutes ago) and about all it made it seem like I could use was a 15W50!!!!

I always used 10W40 Valvoline in it, BTW.

My dad ran it in his F-250 5.4L until it was demolished by a garbage truck that got carjacked in downtown and was currently involved in a police chase. I wish I was making this up.

Back on topic. With 105K of heavy duty towing, it seemed to run like new. He kept 5,000 OCI but never did any UOA's. Just my .02

Every vehicle is different. Just remember that RP shears a little more than usually, but still better than most conventionals.

Hello, SailSkiDrive. You can use the RP 5/30 in your BMW and sleep well at night. I use it in my 518i, but also in my 1.7cdi diesel-engine with 125 horsepower. It is the best oil I have ever used. I do 18000mile OCI in my cdi-engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back