Powerflo - Are they same as Purolator Plus???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing at oil filters today at GI Joes. They're lineup is Purolator Plus at approx. $3-5, Pure One at about $6 and Powerflow at about $2.50.

Powerflow appears to be made by Purolator. Are they the same internally as a regular Purolator? Has anyone disected one? t seems like good value if it's really a Purolator Plus with a different name.

The good news is that GI Joes seems to be reducing shelf space allocated to Fram. The prominant filter lineup seems to have shifted from Fram to Purolator.

Sometimes, the off brands made by Purolator have less filter media than the Purolator Premium Plus. In order to know for sure you would have to cut up a Powerflow and compare it to the Purolator. Sometimes if you call the mfg they will tell you the filter area for a particular model filter. Champ will. Fram won't. I have not tried Purolator. Check the who ya gonna call thread.

the Power-Flo I cut open to look at, looked identical to the same Purolater ## except it had the what "I consider better" bypass at the theaded end like the FL-400s Motorcraft's that are also made by Purolator.(the one's I have cut are all of the FL400s ### application) I do not like Purolator's bypass design but like everything else about them and buy Motorcraft FL400s's for that reason (would buy the Power-Flo ## instead if need be-the Pureone I cut open actually had a bypass sticking open in it)

I asked Purolator if Powerflo was the same as Purolator Plus. This was the email response I rec'd:

"The efficiency of the Powerflo oil filters is identical to the Purolator
Premium Plus brand. However, the Purolator Premium Plus filters have more
volume of filter media per filter with the result that the Premium Plus
brand has a higher total capacity than the Powerflo brand."

Yep probably similar to the total grip filters, a premium plus with much less media. I'd pony up the extra buck in your case. I get my PPPs for around $2.66 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back