Power Steering Fluid Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC

OK, due to my ride I've been suffering the equivalent of Ren & Stimpy's "Space Madness" lately...at least for a few minutes or so. As you know, Dexron III superceded Dexron II some years back. The manual for my 2002 Mitsubishi-built Mopar requires "Dexron II" fluid for its 1.3 qt power steering unit. Pennzoil's data sheet on their Dexron III/Mercon fluid states "...can be used in passenger cars...and power steering systems which require Dexron, Dexron II, Dexron IIE, or Dexron III fluids."
http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/D...DexronIIIMerconAutomaticTransmissionFluid.pdf

But Chevron states about their comparable ATF, "Some recent Japanese and European made vehicles currently specify a Dexron-II product (for their transmissions). In these instances a Dexron-III product would NOT be suitable."
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/faq.shtm

So, Pennzoil says their D-III/Merc is OK for D-II power steering systems, but Chevron says their D-III/Merc is NOT OK for some D-II transmissions (and presumably power steering systems as well..?). Like I said, a bad case of Space Madness is setting in. What gives with the 2002 manual's Dexron II specification? I'm thinking -- or at least hoping -- that a rare topping off with D-III/Merc will not be of any significance in this ride, but still wonder what the rationale is behind stipulating the old spec'd fluid in the manual.

[ February 11, 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

TC, I have used Mercon/Dexron II, IIE, and III, interchangably in my Jeep and Ford power steering systems with no problems at all. I don't think it matters much in power steering pumps, as it would in automatic transmissions.

The part of your 2002 manual on PS fluid specs may have been written before the M/D III came on the market, and Mitsubishi didn't bother to change it....? I wouldn't worry at all about substituting the M/D III for the II.

quote:

Originally posted by TheLoneRanger:
TC, I have used Mercon/Dexron II, IIE, and III, interchangably in my Jeep and Ford power steering systems with no problems at all. I don't think it matters much in power steering pumps, as it would in automatic transmissions.

The part of your 2002 manual on PS fluid specs may have been written before the M/D III came on the market, and Mitsubishi didn't bother to change it....? I wouldn't worry at all about substituting the M/D III for the II.

Not too sure about that LoneRanger. Especially if TC's power steering is rack and pinion. It might be "sensitive" to the exact chemistry of the ATF. For example my 1996 Ford Contour uses Mercon in the tranny, yet the power steering uses the old style Ford Type F ATF. It would be a lot cheaper and easier for Ford if the PS could use the Mercon. Of course the difference between Dexron II and III maybe not be significant. But since he only uses 2 quarts tops why not go to the dealer and see what they give him. If it's Mopar's own brand ok, it's not a lot of money for only 2 quarts. If they give him 2 quarts of "off the shelf Dexron III", say "oh I already have this at home, thanks, bye". Then go home and crack open a beer to get rid of that "space sickness"
wink.gif

Whimsey

Thanks for the feedback, guys. After a lengthy search, I came across an interesting article that sheds some light on the matter:
"Some disagreement currently surrounds the fourth generation of Dexron fluids. Dexron-III was introduced in 1995 to supersede previous Dexron varieties. GM considers Dexron-III a fill-for-life ATF for some late model transmissions, and it has a couple of notable features. It greatly improves seal life and resists oxidation better than previous fluids...GM says that Dexron-III is backwards compatible with all GM automatics built since 1949. Other carmakers aren’t so convinced...Many Asian carmakers continue to call for Dexron-II and specifically say not to use Dexron-III because of some reported shifting problems. Time and aftermarket economics will sort it out."
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cach...ine+fluid+atf+motor+oil+dexron&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Since Quaker State and a few other firms currently offer what's typically called "Special Import" Dexron II (old spec'd) fluid, there's something to the claim of NOT using Dex-III in Dex-II spec'd equipment. But, good or bad, I tend to interpret spec sheets literally, and both the Pennzoil and Shell (related firms) DexIII/Merc spec sheets specifically claim their ATF are appropriate for "DexII" power steering units, so I'll probably just take them at their word and use Pennzoil. Just hope that Pennzoil ain't pullin' a fast one on this issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back