"Power Saver" Fraud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
The #1 power consumer in almost every household is the HVAC. The #1 power waster is whatever causes the HVAC to run more often.

I have to laugh at the recommendation to clean the indoor coils on your A/C or Heat Pump. I requested that service when my house was new-to-me and 3 different HVAC techs told me it was impossible without a pump-down, an entire teardown and a thousand dollars.

When I had a gas furnace added to my Heat Pump to cure its heating inadequacies, curiously the indoor coil was found to be completely clogged with lint. No one diagnosed that despite my many service calls, but they were happy to sabotage my Heat Pump with too much refrigerant and bandaids like starting capacitors. Plus tell me to save my money for a new system, I'd need it soon.

Once cleaned, my Heat Pump works GREAT and I only need the gas furnace in weather like, well, this, single digit temps. It's been 10 years since then and it still works great because I don't allow it to be serviced by idiots.

So while people are wasting time saving pennies buying energy star appliances, switching off lights or changing out to CFL's, their inefficient, badly installed, clogged, untuned, tract home discount special HVAC unit is burning energy to the tune of thousands of dollars a year.

HVAC is the most crooked trade out there.

But many on here wi get on your case if you dare ask why they charge $200/hr to do a benign job. After all, they have to maintain their service vans and go pick up the parts they're going to install... Lol.

Okay, maybe I'm just not getting the full gist here. I assume we are talking about all power saving items?

For the most part, I leave things unplugged when I am not using them so they do not ghost energy. Also use my A/C and heat less when I can.

But I do have a few "power saver" strips for my TV and computer stuff. The kind that turns everything off when the main item goes off...and I did notice a good size drop on my bill...

Now if it is the "we can save you money" junk, then I agree....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Okay, maybe I'm just not getting the full gist here. I assume we are talking about all power saving items?

For the most part, I leave things unplugged when I am not using them so they do not ghost energy. Also use my A/C and heat less when I can.

But I do have a few "power saver" strips for my TV and computer stuff. The kind that turns everything off when the main item goes off...and I did notice a good size drop on my bill...

No..as usual the thread has gone off track! Read the article to understand.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
The #1 power consumer in almost every household is the HVAC. The #1 power waster is whatever causes the HVAC to run more often.

I have to laugh at the recommendation to clean the indoor coils on your A/C or Heat Pump. I requested that service when my house was new-to-me and 3 different HVAC techs told me it was impossible without a pump-down, an entire teardown and a thousand dollars.

When I had a gas furnace added to my Heat Pump to cure its heating inadequacies, curiously the indoor coil was found to be completely clogged with lint. No one diagnosed that despite my many service calls, but they were happy to sabotage my Heat Pump with too much refrigerant and bandaids like starting capacitors. Plus tell me to save my money for a new system, I'd need it soon.

Once cleaned, my Heat Pump works GREAT and I only need the gas furnace in weather like, well, this, single digit temps. It's been 10 years since then and it still works great because I don't allow it to be serviced by idiots.

So while people are wasting time saving pennies buying energy star appliances, switching off lights or changing out to CFL's, their inefficient, badly installed, clogged, untuned, tract home discount special HVAC unit is burning energy to the tune of thousands of dollars a year.

Yep! We live in A/C down here. Some indoor HVAC systems are installed to make service a nightmare. That's a HUGE disservice to their clients. The evap. coil will get dirty no matter what filter you use as most ductwork is poorly sealed. Over time, its ability to absorb heat is greatly compromised, causing liquid to be returned instead of vapor which can cause problems long-term, depending on the system.

There are a lot of knuckle-draggers in the A/C service business. I had one who said they have to report all leaking systems to the EPA. I'd called him to fix a leaking valve. He promptly let gas escape instead of capturing it. I was outside, watching him the whole time, to be sure he didn't cause something that he would thus need to fix. He was also trying to sell me a new system...my guess is he was on commission. That's a conflict of interest!

Down here, unless an expansion valve is installed a clogged evap core will turn into a solid block of ice due to the humid indoor air and the clogged coils inability to absorb heat.

Caveat Emptor!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Ah, I missed the link in the post. Makes sense now..thanks!
smile.gif

Are you all talking about the Green Plug devices? I heard the help on some loads like a washer or gas dryer that just drive the device. Not a refrigerator or freezer.

What article? You mention these "energy saver" devices to be garbage.

All Im saying is that playing power factor corrections, if youre paying for KVA-hr vs kW-h IS indeed a savings... And the reactive power does create I^2R losses at minimum, which equate to more fuel being burned.

So there is a technical truth to this... The claims absolutely being inflated.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

What article? You mention these "energy saver" devices to be garbage.

The underlined link is in my original post just above the quoted section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back