Power Push Mower:FWD vs RWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advantage? FWD seems to be cheaper than RWD. I'm sure in the twisties the RWD is more fun to walk behind and the FWD will get me out of the snow/ice better. (j/k)
wink.gif

Seriously though, is it just simpler/cheaper to engineer the FWD push mower?

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
....Seriously though, is it just simpler/cheaper to engineer the FWD push mower?

I think that's it in a nutshell.

In thinking things through, if the mower is a rear-bagger, RWD would be somewhat better since as the bag fills, the weight transfers over the drive wheels.

I've had FWD mowers only and never really noticed a problem with traction as the bag fills, though. And FWD has the advantage of letting you keep the drive engaged while changing direction by lifting the front of the mower and swiveling it on the back wheels.

I think FWD are overall easier to use. You can keep your hands planted on the handle and change directions since you don't have to let go of the drive bar.

FWD is typically found on the cheaper mowers.
For flat lawns, they are probably a bit simpler, but I don't think that means RWD are difficult in the same situation. I mow a level lawn with a RWD and don't really notice. It's probably beneficial in the early Spring when I mow tall wet grass. I don't think a FWD would "pull" me through the grass as well.
If up are going up hill with a FWD and a full bag, expect to help push it up. I've mowed hills with my 20 year old Honda and it's nice to have the mower poll me op the hill.
after a couple years, it'll probably fail anyway.

I had a FWD Troy Built, and got a RWD Lawn Boy when I moved to a sloped lot. The RWD was much easier to manuver in my experience.
good Luck

i work at Lowes in the mowers and everything said here is correct. The biggest difference is cost and the advantage RWD has with the bagging and mowing on hilly areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back