Power of Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a good washing of dawn remove something like NXT 2.0? I ask because I want to wax/compound/polish my car today, however I will be putting on a sealant in a month or two and want to make sure I can get all of the NXT off. I would rather just be able to clean/clay the car when I go to do the sealant.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

I'm pretty sure it'll strip it off. Try Meguire's forums to be sure.....

Thanks guys. The reason I'm compounding now is just to get some of the work done, because I figure the more I do in advance the better it will come out. I know I have to/should do good prep right before I apply the sealant - I just want to get swirls and stuff as good as possible now, so that most of the work on the day of sealing will not be spent on removing major issues. Not that I don't anticipate more compounting on that day, but I wanted to get the winter damage off of the finish now and save a few hours later.

Thanks tpitcher, Ill see what I can see over there.

NXT 2.0 IS a sealant even though it's called Tech Wax. If you are going to use a heavy polish/compound everything will be removed anyway so there's no reason for a Dawn wash. You're missing a big step leaving out claying the paint after the initial wash (with car wash soap).

Interesting. I didn't know NXT was that robust - I have the clay too. I was just going to wash, polish as needed, and clay before the rejex or other sealant I was going to purchase. Is claying supposed to be an every-time thing? I was just washing and using the nxt all last year. I meed an education on this I think.

Just before you put the full whammy on it is when you need to use the clay. Wash, clay, polish, Sealant. Wait 12-24 hours if you want to use wax (real carnauba, no cleaners)after wiping down the sealant.

A few good rainstorms will remove NTX. NTX is not "robust" on the durability scale. Dawn will for sure remove it. But like others have said, if you are going to compound or clay anyway, it will strip everything.

Dawn will take it off, but don't use it because it is harsh on the paint. If you will clay anyway this will take off the wax/sealant.

Originally Posted By: joaks
If you will clay anyway this will take off the wax/sealant.

What part of the claying process removes wax? I've heard lots of people say this, but never observed it to be true. Unless, of course, the wax on your car is on top of a heavy build up of contaminants which gets removed by the clay. If your wax is applied after claying and the coat is maintained, I don't see why clay would remove wax.

Last edited:
The dragging the clay across the surface removes the wax. Sometimes the lubricant used will cause water to bead for a short while after application in case that is what you are refereing to. (so you get beading with no wax). The clay removes nearly everything on top of the paint.

El_Schaf said:
Will a good washing of dawn remove something like NXT 2.0? I ask because I want to wax/compound/polish my car today, however I will be putting on a sealant in a month or two and want to make sure I can get all of the NXT off. I would rather just be able to clean/clay the car when I go to do the sealant.

Any guidance would be much appreciated! [/quoteThe

The ONLY time I use Dawn is when I do my spring detail other than that use a good car soap. I also mix Dawn with water in a spray bottle as a lubricant spray for my clay then re-wash with Dawn. Next I determine what level of polish I need then finally a coat of protection. I've been using ADAMS Machine Super Wax and Love it!

Works for me!!
thumbsup2.gif

Dawn is a dish detergent. It is very good at cutting greasy food. On your car, it will cut road grime and tar, bug juice and dirt. I have not seen it cut through even the cheapest wax I have ever used. You would probably have to wash your car many times to wash off wax using Dawn dish washing detergent.

What I have tried that WILL cut through wax on the first try is Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar. I was skeptical but it super cleans my paint including old wax and polish.

What I do is wash my car if it is real dirty, then Ice Liquid Clay Bar, then Dawn or other car wash soap to wash off a little residue that the Ice Liquid Clay Bar leaves. Then I have a perfectly clean surface to apply wax or polish to. If the car is not super dirty, you can start with the Ice liquid clay bar step first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back