Potential Issue with KYB Preassembled Strut

I installed part numbers SR4245 and SR4246 in Feb/Mar 2022. I did not notice anything abnormal after install or during the post-install test drive.

Fast forward to today, the vehicle was at another shop and they noticed this “peculiarity” with the front struts.

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg
image000002.jpeg
image000003.jpeg
image000004.jpeg

Driver does not notice any abnormal behavior or noises related to this, but I did see this review on Amazon:

1686251659636.jpg

Good thing I still have the old parts. Looks to me like the spring has moved.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of preassembled except as last resort..
Threw on a set(forget the brand) on the 2010 accent and it was "OK" not great not as good as new.

What a shame :(

KYB is a major OE supplier to Toyota and should know better than this. They absolutely deserve to be called out. :poop:

Monroe's quick struts for this car seem to have much better reviews and no complaints about not even fitting properly.

Mando also offers quick struts for the third gen Prius, and claim to be the OE supplier, but I'm not sure about Mando being the OE supplier here. :unsure:

Quick struts are a lazy shop's way of doing a strut replacement. The springs rarely wear out even over 300,000 miles. And the same model car may have been equipped with three or four different spring rates depending on which suspension it has and the tire size. No quick strut manufacturer is going to have the specific spring in it's quick strut that matches oem perfectly. Either the ride height is off or the firmness of the ride.

Looks like the spring perch isn’t in the right spot.

The spring will sit different when the car is on a lift.

Would they call the w126 spring peculiar?

IMG_4232.jpeg

There’s some nice curve there.

I just don't use quick struts. I reuse my springs and shaft boot, or i would buy oem springs. I don't even like after market strut mounts, especially for the front of fwd.

Those springs just look wonky.

That spring wasn't seated correctly on the spring seat. The spring is supposed to be rotated until its last rung is up against the stop.

Back