post your latest transmission lubricant change.

Time to swap out another 1.5 gallons of atf in the canyon.

Out: about 1.5 gallons bulk atf with 2.5 gallons of Amsoil FE SS atf mixed in from previous suck & fill

In: 1.5 gallons Amsoil FE SS atf

1717192999092.jpeg

2005 Corolla S, 137K, 5,600 mile OCI, 8 months
Out: 3.2 qts MaxLife
In: MaxLife + Lubegard

2nd service on my grand niece's 1st car. Fluid looked a little dark but OK; I am trying to fix intermittent P0741 trouble code.
Also inspected, cleaned and lubed front brakes. Slider pins were really tight and pads were kinda tight. All's well now.

2006 Saturn Ion Redline 5 spd manual with a Quaife LSD.

out: just under 2 liters of the rankest, murkiest sparkly oil I've ever seen. 50k km on it.

in: AC Delco GL-4, which I think I will change more often now :unsure:

Finally hit 200,000 miles on the kids' 2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS. Original F4A42 transmission.

Hyundai SP III to 90k, Idemitsu Type HK up to 150k, then Maxlife since. I would have saved a bit moving to Maxlife much earlier. Given the anecdotal reputation of this transmission in this model, I generally performed a drain and fill every 10k up to 150k. Since then, I've extended the interval to 15k. It's still overkill, but it's very easy to drain when I do oil, and Maxlife is fairly inexpensive at Walmart or Amazon or from Valvoline direct.

It's a very reliable little box. I just brought one of the kids home from college in Los Angeles in it, and will take it to San Diego next week for the other to come home. The transmission is secure and smooth at California freeway speeds over the grapevine and through the warm valleys.

Last edited:
2013 Acura RDX with 144k miles (we just bought it used and Carfax listed transmission fluid service at 90k)

Drain n fill with about 3 quarts of Maxlife red bottle.

Thank you Honda for putting a proper drain plug and fill plug on your V6 motors. Makes it even easier than a motor oil n filter change.

I paid a local transmission shop to spill and fill with new filter, my new to me 2019 Silverado Custom 6L80 6 speed. It shifts fine but at 70,000 miles a little PM was in order. The owner said the pan was really clean with just some fuzz on the magnet. The shop uses Amsoil but I forgot to ask what flavor. The diff is next.

IMG_1502.jpeg

2017 Honda HRV - 33,000 mi. 4.2 qts Honda HCF2. First CVT drain and fill…maybe not?
Started taking care of this car recently. Only dealer service previously. Had the infamous recall performed to check CVT chain wear.
After watching some pretty weak “how-to” vids I got started. Expecting around 4qts and out comes 6.8 qts. I did notice the engine was a bit oily near the rubber fill plug. Started to put 2 and 2 together and thinking shenanigans at the dealer doing this recall. Anyway, finished up adding 4.2 qts back in, did the level check procedure, got a few oz overflow and sealed it back up. Let’s see what happens.

IMG_2528.jpeg

IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_2548.jpeg

I did a drain and refill on my kids 2011 Optima with around 105k miles. Used Maxlife red jug, around 4 qts I think. I did the first drain/fill around 90k miles. I don’t think the original owner of the vehicle ever serviced the trans, judging from the fluid color. But honestly, changing the fluid made no perceptible difference in shift quality.

2017 Honda HRV - 33,000 mi. 4.2 qts Honda HCF2. First CVT drain and fill…maybe not?
Started taking care of this car recently. Only dealer service previously. Had the infamous recall performed to check CVT chain wear.
After watching some pretty weak “how-to” vids I got started. Expecting around 4qts and out comes 6.8 qts. I did notice the engine was a bit oily near the rubber fill plug. Started to put 2 and 2 together and thinking shenanigans at the dealer doing this recall. Anyway, finished up adding 4.2 qts back in, did the level check procedure, got a few oz overflow and sealed it back up. Let’s see what happens.

View attachment 226977

View attachment 226978
View attachment 226979
2.6 quarts is alittle bit overfilling.

Back