Post your latest small engine oil change

Looks like I'm just a month shy of a year on my Husqvarna DRT900. Thinking 12 to 13 hours of use. It's still pretty new so I was willing to give it a change. I had it tilling for just under 2 hours in our outdoor arena today.

Out was PYB 5w30 and in was Co-op DMO 10w30. The oil was not overly dark but there was still some glitter.

2005 grasshopper 928 with Kubota d1105e diesel.

Out: unknown nasty looking stuff and a Baldwin filter

In: Kirkland 15w40 and a fram ultra.

Cub Cadet XT3 with a Kohler Command Pro CH680
92.6 hrs on the engine, and 40 hrs this OCI.

Out: Royal Purple 10w-40 w/Synerlec and K&N HP-2009

In: Royal Purple 10w-40 w/Synerlec and Wix 51348

I have quite literally never seen Rotella T5 15W-40 on a shelf around me and I saw one gallon of 10W-40 once several years ago.

How's that Yamaha doing?

Walmart here actually had about 6 jugs of it on the top shelf when I was looking at oil Saturday. I'd never actually seen it before either. They also had T6 15w40.

If it were me I would up the oil to T6 and drop the filter back to TG, but to each his own.
Good thoughts. Next oil purchase for this mower will be T6, but for the first two break in changes I'll be doing I chose T4 since I'll be short changing it.

The Ultra should be less restrictive than the TG and since the 3614 is not the actual "spec" filter I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting too far off the reservation and I'll use the Ultra for multiple OCI's anyway.

Honda Harmony push mower. This is a vintage model with the GCV160 having manual throttle and choke. It has over 500 hours on it.

Out: A variety of Mobil1 drip oils
In: 15w-40 Rotella T6

This is the first time I have gone thicker than 10w-30 spec on a Honda engine. Thus far I can see no difference in the performance, as should be expected with air cooled OPE.

IMG_2193[1].JPG

Craftsman YTS 3000 riding mower
Briggs and Stratton 21 horse engine
Out: Old Formula Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30, Fram Extra Guard PH3614 filter
In: Castrol HD 30, Supertech ST3614 filter

John Deere 165 Hydro with 12.5HP Kawasaki FB460V

Out: 1.5 qts. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, no oil filter

In: 1.5 qts. Amsoil Outdoor Power Sports 0W-40
Also put on a new set of Predator “Gator” style blades for the 38” deck

Echo 4000 inverter gen with 212 china engine. 5 hours total run time

out what ever the shop filled with, dark and metallic looking

in Havoline 10/30 syn

Will run 5 more hours and change again. Will do this till oil si cleaner looking after 5 hrs. Shop where I bought from said run 5 hrs change then
follow 100 hrs. After clear I will follow max 50 hrs and switch over to M1 HM 10/30.

My log splitter with the cheaper black Honda engine. I did a break in last year and went to 0w40. Didn’t like the shavings I saw so I filled with a clearance 10w30 boat oil and ran for an hour or so. Did this twice.

Refilled with 0w40. We shall see how it goes. It’s a low hr engine. Maybe 15 hrs at the most.

I recently picked a Lawnboy push mower from the neighbor's curb. It started right up but the deck has tons of rust.

The unknown oil I drained out actually didn't look that bad, it was probably changed in the spring.
Anyway, some leftover RGT 5w-30 went in.
Now, to fix that deck......

Craftsman DGT 6000 48” lawn tractor with the 27HP Kohler engine

Out: mystery blend, definitely had some 5w20 in it as that’s all I had on hand to top it up, red purolator filter

In: Shell Rotella T4 15w40 and a Fram Ultra filter

Champion 1400 watt genny
dumped around a .5 quart of unknown weight/brand oil. Oil still looked good not really dark
refilled with .5 quart of Pennzoil 30 wt.
Genny sat for 2 years. Yes it had fuel in the tank. Dumped old fuel. Replaced cracked fuel line. Carb in bad shape. Cleaned it with a Berrymans soak and no luck. Put in the sonic cleaner and still a no go. New carb arrived today for 17 dollars. Will update on how it goes.

Back