Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

I screwed up didn't even change mine in a 1997 Infiniti Q45. Now at 86K miles I need to install a PS pump along with a couple of hoses. I think back now and I should have changed out at 50K miles.

Originally Posted By: Chadwilliam1
I need to change mine, has anybody installed an inline power steering filter? I have one for my tranny. its a 15$ wix filter.

Haven't yet, saw one at NAPA Sat AM. May wanna post a seperate thread on it...

Originally Posted By: Chadwilliam1
I need to change mine, has anybody installed an inline power steering filter? I have one for my tranny. its a 15$ wix filter.

I did...used an inline Magnefine on my Forester.

I also installed a full sized PH-8A equivalent on the PS system in the truck in my signature...

Last edited:
Did another (4th) suck-out with the tall shampoo bottle pump. The fluid still had a tinge of brown in the red.

Out was a mixture of 12 year old original GM PSF + 3 recent suck-outs & fills of Amsoil ATF.

In was a fill-up with more Amsoil ATF.

I did my E-150 last time I changed the oil [December 2011]. I have a small pump I used. I did 2 qts worth, the fluid that came out appeared to be in perfect condition. I used Type-F fluid.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Did another (4th) suck-out with the tall shampoo bottle pump. The fluid still had a tinge of brown in the red.

Out was a mixture of 12 year old original GM PSF + 3 recent suck-outs & fills of Amsoil ATF.

In was a fill-up with more Amsoil ATF.

Oops, forgot - this was done on the Saturn.

2005 Toyota Camry XLE V6 ~71k miles.

I changed the fluid with the turkey baster method using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I may change it once more in a couple weeks when I change the oil.

2000 VW Beetle with 110K miles. I've recently sorted out some problems with this car, so it looks like it will be around a while. I decided I should change the power steering fluid, as I'm sure it's never been changed.

VW has a weird spec for their power steering fluid, like seemingly all of their fluids.

NAPA carries a Pentosin hydraulic fluid/power steering fluid that meets the spec. I picked up a quart at my local NAPA for $23 after tax.

I only did a turkey baster refill of the reservoir, but it's pretty good sized. It took about half the quart.

IMG_7996-1200-800.jpg

On my neighbors 6/99 Durango I put a p/s pressure hose on.
his owners manual AND Amsoil site called for ATF +3 (I put +4). steering was bad, very bad! I checked Alldata, it said after june it used mineral based power steering fluid. Otherwise, before atf+
I siphoned out via turkey baster the atf +4 and fed it 2/5qts of pyroil p/s fluid. After 5 turkey baster siphonings, I got it as flushed as it was gonna get.
Steering's been fine since.

'07 Mazda 6 Wagon

Out: FF, about .5 L
In: Mazda M-V Transmission Fluid, about .5L (Petro-Canada Bottle Style, Mazda Canada)
Apparatus: Turkey Baster, from P/S reservoir

1998 S10 4.3L
150,246 mi.

Full blown system flush & refill using BG P/S flush kit. Had it done here at work (GM dealer).
Last time done was around 90,000 mi.

2002 Nissan Maxima, 117,000 miles
Out: Who knows, perhaps factory fill
In: Spectrum ATF Type F, $2.25 at KMart

Extracted with a 60cc syringe. Perhaps 8oz removed from reserviour and replaced with new. Going to repeat after about (2) weeks and so on until the quart of ATF is gone.

Saturday, 11 February.

1. Full flush of 2005 Buick Park Avenue with 60,000 mi.
Out: Mix of factory fill and a few yearly reservoir siphon-and-fills of STP, Valvoline PSF, Mobil 1 ATF, and ATF+4. It was clean and working fine, but who knows if that mix was OK for the long run?
In: GM power steering fluid. Used 2 qt to flush fully.

2. Full flush of 1998 Dodge B1500 van with 50,000 mi.
Out: Mix of mostly factory fill and one siphon-and-fill of whatever I had at the time. Fluid was dark.
In: GM power steering fluid. Used 2.75 qt to flush fully.

BMW 325xi, out, whatever it was..
in M1 ATF.

Prius, No PS fluid. All electric.

4runner, out, godawful whatever it was
in M1 ATF

TB for all.

Last edited:
Car is in signature below.

Drained reservoir with siphon.

Out: Original fluid (Black, nasty, smelled burned out)

In: Amsoil full synthetic ATF (Red and smells good)

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
Car is in signature below.

Drained reservoir with siphon.

Out: Original fluid (Black, nasty, smelled burned out)

In: Amsoil full synthetic ATF (Red and smells good)

Wow, that's bad for 35,000 miles. Good job getting that junk outta there & getting the good stuff in!
thumbsup2.gif

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The P/S pump was whining, and putting in LG additve only temporarily solved the problem. So:

Rebuilt P/S pump, system filled with Valvoline PSF and LubeGard P/S additive.

Back