Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

Used the squiter from a windex bottle to suck about 1/3rd of a quart of dirty, brown 'fluid' out of the PS resevoir in the Tribute.

It was already low, so I replaced it with about 1/2 a quart of new ATF. I'll do it again in a couple of weeks. BUT, it did make the steering noticeably quiter with just this change!

I changed the ps fluid in a 2003 Acura MDX with a battery tester instead of a turkey baster because the neck of the reservoir is so narrow the turkey baster will not reach the bottom. After seeing how dirty the bottom was, decided to replace the reservoir as well. Original factory fluid was completely dark, like motor oil. I went through 5 bottles of genuine Honda fluid and 3 of Honda equivalent fluid from Advance Auto Parts. Also went through 2 more bottles of Amsoil synthetic ps fluid. After all that, which took half a day, the fluid is finally fairly clean at least in appearance. Will be adding magnefine filter as soon as it arrives.

Turkey baster change every oil change with Redline power steering fluid.

1998 Buick LeSabre. The RL PS fluid very soon quieted a noisy PS pump.

2006 Ford Mustang GT: Same as above except it's a low miler so pump was never noisy. However, I read that 'stang's fry a lot of pumps so I figured I should start with the better fluid.

Better, IMHO. Can't prove it.

Micke

1993 Toyota Tercel

Turkey baster method every oil change or two using whatever Dex III equivalent I have around. Usually Quaker State or some sort of Mobil 1.

Got the time to do a complete flush on the 02 Silverado PS system. Got my bro to help me has he cranked the engine (used the starter to turn the PS pump) and turned the steering wheel.

Out: PSF Crud

In: Wolf's head syn ATF with magnefine filter. Added 1-2 oz of LG Platinum.

Yes, ATF. ATF in a GM PS system. Note it does not have hydroboost.

Last edited:
Out, old ATF+4, in, extra ATF+4 from my transmission service.

Car is a Dodge Stratus. Loving using ATF this way, the half quart bottle I have leftover from a transmission service always has a home now
laugh.gif

Changed out the fluid in my LLV today. Did a full flush (on jack stands, engine running and turning the wheels back and forth with an assistant's help).

Out: Whatever type fluid Midas put in 60k miles ago for the previous owner.

New: Redline Power Steering Fluid and a Napa Premium power steering fluid filter.

A past work order sheet from the previous owner stated the steering box is worn, so I figured might as well try using the Redline and a good filter to see how that helps (steering hasn't really given me issues prior, so any improvement would be nice!)

Last edited:
Powersteering flush done on PT cruiser used old intercooler pump mounted in tackle box to.extract old fluid filled with Wolfshead Synthetic ATF used about 2.5 qts total till fluid started coming out clean
Edit: unknown what type of ATf was in system before flush

Last edited:
I replace fluid, mini measure pump method, at every oil change and use the Prestone brand. The van still has the original pump with 251,000 miles

Just changed the PS fluid on my 97 Accord wagon.

Out: no idea, since the car is relatively new to me. It was definitely black and gross.

In: Supertech PS fluid.

First used the turkey baster to remove excess from the resevoir, then disconnected the return line and turned the wheel lock to lock. Found out the hard way that the fluid comes out of that line with some force...Ugh.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Just changed the PS fluid on my 97 Accord wagon.

Out: no idea, since the car is relatively new to me. It was definitely black and gross.

In: Supertech PS fluid.

First used the turkey baster to remove excess from the resevoir, then disconnected the return line and turned the wheel lock to lock. Found out the hard way that the fluid comes out of that line with some force...Ugh.

I bet it was original...

Used a windex squirter to take another 1/3 quart out of the Tribute's PS sytem, still dark brown and gross looking.

Added some more ST fluid to it. Will be keep doing this every week until it looks cleaner.

Deep reach suckout with spray bottle pump:

1997 Camry w/175,000 miles.

Out Amsoil ATF
IN: Amsoil ATF

2000 Saturn SL2 w/52,000 miles.

Out Amsoil ATF
IN: Amsoil ATF

'02 Ford Escape (110,000 miles).

Drain 'n fill PS with Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I do this every year.

Used my windex squiter to take about another 1/4 quart out of the Tribute's PS sytem, fluid is starting to look not SO bad.

Level was a bit low, so ended up adding about another 1/3 quart of ST ATF to the system. Will do this again in the next couple of weeks, when time permits.

I use this syringe looking thing with 6" plastic line attached to draw out the reservoir. works great. Did 4runner change today and Lexus last week. Used Castrol ATF

Had a full PS system flush done along with other work at my work today (CT). System now full of Motomaster 'multi-vehicle' ATF and a Wynn's system treatment.

It was recommended, I trust the guys in our shop, and I realized that my suck-n-fills were going to take forever to clean out the system.

Back