Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

Originally Posted By: dgoldstein
Doesn't in mine. Noisy as can be. Plain old Dex III and no more noise.

The steering doesn't feel lighter? Was Dex III not in there before?

2008 Subaru Outback
30k dealership PSF pumped out with engine running & filled with Valvoline PSF.
I later discovered Subaru specifies Dexron 3 ATF so replaced with Castrol and was surprised to see how much residual fluid had discolored the clear Valvoline.

Last edited:
Hand siphon reservoir x2 replace with OEM power steering fluid

Honda CR-V 1998 LX AWD

Fluid was a bit dark and had a few little dark specks in it

new fluid was a very pale yellow

vehicle is new to me and had an unknown PS service history

Oh, also, my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan had been making a funny sound for many months, couldn't figure out what it was. Siphoned out the PS reservoir replaced with ATF+4 and a little MMO, repeated twice more with no additional MMO until the quart bottle was gone. Funny sound gone.

Last edited:
'05 Envoy - drained the reservoir and refilled with Genuine GM Power Steering Fluid. Started her up, turned the wheel left and right to full lock a couple of times and repeated. Third time round, fluid was clear.

My wife got me a Mityvac for our anniversary. I pumped out the P/S fluid reservoir and replaced with Amsoil ATF. I did this 3 times over the last 2 weeks. The fluid looks nice and red now.

Next up: Brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
2001 BMW M5: 160,000Km, October 20th, 2012.

Replaced Royal Purple ATF with AMSOIL ATF in the PS fluid reservoir.

You notice any difference between the two?

2004 Lexus LS430 w/ 81K

Return line disconnect method using Supertech D6. I swear this is the nastiest fluid I've ever seen. Black discoloration on the reservoir and some trash when I purged the old fluid.
I'm not sure if that's a bad sign but last time I came across bad fluid was in my new to me 91K 2002 chevy silverado, I've replaced/rebuilt the steering hydraulics, added filter and currently running Supertech Dex6.

Why mfgrs don't spec PSF fluid replacements especially when people hold the steering wheel to lock at extended periods of time dumbfounds me. /rant

I might post another PSF change after the new PSF cleans the Lexus PS system of nasty sludge.

Pentosin 11s in a 2006 Saab 9-3. Then Maxlife Dex/Merc in a '02 Mercury Cougar. Same day.

Replaced PS fluid in 2007 Honda Pilot today.

Turkey baster out of the reservoir, fresh fluid in, pull the return line and raise in the air and turn the wheels (not running) until clean fluid comes out.

Out Honda Fluid, In Clean Honda Fluid. About 2 years old. Approx. 23,000 miles.

Did two drain/fills on the Corolla's P/S with Amsoil ATF. Also did a one man brake bleed, which was my first time doing so and super easy!

2000 Dodge Durango w/245K miles. Got the old out via the return line and replaced the power steering pump and resevoir. New fluid was Valvoline PSF.

Had some Valvoline PSF left over so used a Mitivac to pump out the fluid in a 1994 Chevy C1500 and 2002 Cadillac Seville STS. Will probably two them again in a couple of weeks.

Did it last week, but my wife's 2002 Honda Civic LX with about 65K miles.

Previously added Honda PSF to top off from the min line to the max line and that quieted the power steering whine until I had the time to do a full purge.

The only tools needed were 1/2" O.D. flexible vinyl tubing and pliers. Optionally I used my baster to suck out the initial contents of the reservoir and some tape to tape down the bottle to the inside fender and to tape the tubing to the bottle (it can shoot out). Removed the return line with very little spilling out. The tubing was the perfect size but had to be wedged in there and didn't need any tape.

So start the engine and I can see the brownish fluid coming out. Turn lock to lock a few times and even more came out. No massive groaning sound. So once it's almost all out I stop it, put everything back in place and fill the reservoir with Honda PSF, starting with the initial fill above the max line. About 2 more times and there's no air in the fluid and the level is stable at the max line. It self purges itself of air quickly as long as there's no leak in the seals.

All in all less than 2 12 oz bottles of Honda PSF and costs less than $10 in parts (tubing is cheap although the OEM PSF is kind of pricey). A dealer or shop might charge anywhere from $40 to $100 (or more) to do this.

If I had to do it again, I'd have an assistant hold the tubing and bottle. The fluid doesn't come out with a whole lot of force (service manuals show an open wide jar for collection), but the tubing can shoot back and spray the fluid. The tubing partially shot out but stayed in the bottle.

F 150

4 10 oz. drain (transfer pump) and fill. Maxlife ATF

Man does 150K mile PS/ATV stink. Had darkened, but still red....ish

Back