Off: Fram XG w/ 11k
In: Mobil 1 AP 5W30
On: STP XL
Attempted upgrade to metal cap - seal cut/leaked
Installed composite cap w/ old seal

IMG_9115.jpeg
IMG_9116.jpeg
IMG_9119.jpeg

While I'm generally a fan of using the biggest that will fit, that looks like it sits kind of low and might make the oil filter much more likely to be damaged by road debris, I'd probably stick with a fl-910\3614 equivalent
Yeah it does hang a bit low. Not too worried about it since our son only drives around here locally and never off road. Maybe on the next one. The FL400S looks like it might be the perfect size in that spot.

While I'm generally a fan of using the biggest that will fit, that looks like it sits kind of low and might make the oil filter much more likely to be damaged by road debris, I'd probably stick with a fl-910\3614 equivalent
Yeah it does hang a bit low. Not too worried about it since the Highlander is pretty high from the ground and our son only drives around here locally. Never off road. Maybe on the next one. The FL400S looks like it might be the perfect size in that spot.

So the STP o'ring failed? I'm sure you lubed it before installing. Glad you caught it. Any pics of the damaged seal?
Yes - the one pictured on the aluminum cap - it was cut plum in half - as you know they fit tight in the composite cap - noticably bigger groove in the metal cap … Put fresh oil all over it …

Car - Honda Civic MK9 1.6 I-Dtec

Oil Out - Some Honda dealer C3 oil.
Filter Out - Genuine Honda oil filter.

Oil In - Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W30 C2/C3
Filter In - Genuine Honda oil filter.

Undertray was a pig to remove. Felt like the tiny cross head bolts had been rattle gunned tight by the Honda dealership previously. No anti-seize or signs of worn bolts being replaced at all. Hence my total reluctance to ever use main dealers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230923_140201_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230923_140201_Gallery.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 22
Back