Post your latest FrankenBrew

A jug containing 50% Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 and 50% Mobil 1 5w30 plus one quart of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck . Just for fun I had a VOA done when I mixed up the jug of the 50/50 concoction and used 1/2 of it last summer. Here it is.

6E5229E6-8A81-40BD-A1DA-B3F8294D75FB.jpeg

E1110D8A-235E-4956-926E-57CD7D3F7780.jpeg

Last edited:
That bucket contains motor oil that leaks at work. Instead of tossing it in the recycled oil container, I take it. Consider it recycling. All the oil in the picture was purchased on clearance for $4.77 per 5qt and $0.97 a qt (The Mobil 1 was given to me). I have a Ford 4.6 2v and I live in a hot climate. It just needs clean oil, and enough of it.
08FEBD51-0C56-49C6-9AD9-AAA7E75F633E.jpeg

I had the thought of using a frankenbrew as a short OCI rinse before putting in the oil that I REALLY want in there. Somewhere between 100-500 miles, dump, then put your good oil into a freshly rinsed engine. 🤷‍♂️

One of my friends just acquired a 99 C2500 pickup.

I borrow his garage to do my maintenance and because both of our cars don't use a full 5 quarts I give him whatever is left over to put on the shelves. My car alone leaves .8 quarts or so behind and I have plenty of top off at home. He decided to put it in the truck. He had about 7 or 8 quarts of mixed new oil, since he didn't want all the 5qt jugs taking up space. We figured out it had -

Castrol Edge black bottle
Castrol Edge gold bottle
Pennzoil Platinum
Valvoline Advanced
Rotella T5
Rotella T6
Mobil 1

Most 5w30, but some 10w30 and 10w40 mixed in.

Shook it all up and put it in with an M1 filter. Wonder what that add pack looks like? I know a lot was Castrol gold and black bottle from me, but a good amount was all the others. I told him just think of all the benefits that little small block is getting if you read all the marketing from all those products!

Last edited:
I made a frankenblend of 50/50 Rotella T6 0W40 and Rotella T4 15W40 for a mower, I had about 4oz left I used as top up in a 2008 Malibu, I also used the less than 8oz of RT6 0W40 that were left to top up the ecotec along with some 5W20 Pennzoil HM, the car has M1 0W40 in it, but I decided not to waste any of my valuable quarts that I have left unopen and just topped up with random stuff I had open.

For the last 2 changes, I've been using 4 qts Fram 10/30 syn oil, 1 qt 20/50 store brand oil, and top it off with store brand 10w40, in my '02 ford Explorer. Car has a minor oil leak that's cheaper to add oil to,than to fix. It's got 250k on it, and it's quite and runs smooth as butter.,,

1 qt Valvoline VR1 20W-50 from the WOOT! clearance sale...
1 qt "Harvest King" 15W-40 HDEO ($10/4 qts jug)
3 qts Rotella "Gas Truck" 0W-20 from AutoZone clearance

= 7W-30 :LOL:

The usual Valvoline + Magnatec. This time it was 4.5qt Valvoline EP 0W20 + 1/2qt Magnatec 5W30

I intended to use just the Valvoline without blending, but engine ran noise and the dipstick read LOW - even though 4.4qts is SUPPOSEDLY the capacity on the redesigned Subaru 2.5 D.I engine. With 4.5 qts in there, the DS was reading near the bottom dot so I added the 1/2 qt of the Magnatec.
I didnt want to add one whole litre ( the described volume between fill dot and FULL dot ) As I don't know if the Owner's Manual reported fill qty is incorrect or the dipstick calibration is wrong. the DS curves goes in to the sump at a severe angle, so it may just be a flaky design.
Thanks yet again Subaru, for the mystery DS readings.

Not really a “brew” but in sonata I put in 4.8 qts of m1 ep 5w20 (after running .2 through the engine) and .8 of a qt m1 ep 5w30… that’s all I can handle haha

I've joined the dark side...

'21 Tucson 2.0:
Mobil Super SB 5W-30 (3.2qt),
Mobil Super Syn 0W-20 (1qt)

CRV got a mix of Castrol Edge, Kendall GT-1 Max, and some Pennz Plat.
The Odyssey got 5qts of 5w30 Valvoline EP and like .4qts of 0w20 Kendall.

Not that I make this a practice anymore as I once did about 45+ yrs ago when money was tight. However, I'll do it now and again with more compatible oils that I have laying around from our own vehicles. And not that I believe that this is an optimal way of doing an OCI but, I also don't think it hurts anything and I have my own proof of this. Lots of it!

In my distant past, I've used 5-6 different grades of oil, each being a different brand as well and my engines(placebo) seemed to run better/smoother/stronger than with the required/recommended oils. :unsure:
This ^^^ nowadays I tend to use up 1 to 3 stray quarts from the same company … but try to not go over a quart otherwise (no science - just an attempt at logic) …

Not happy with the shear of T6 5w40 in my motorcycles ..... I mix it 50/50 with T6 15w40. Seems to make it a wonderful 10w40.

Reactions: SR5
Back