Post your HOA horror stories here

Like this? *do-do-doo lookin' out my back door.*

Walked outside to snap this for you, @DriveHard it's a lovely day. We did what you state. People sometimes just do it anyway? I don't know? Sometimes, I believe I see this. Guy in a black Jeep appears to be self-appointed HOA rat, most likely fancies himself one that would do a citizen's arrest. Always be careful who is watching. OK on with the pic.

The HOA hasn't been hassling us ever since a certain someone maybe stopped feeding the birds outside. I expect a post-Labor Day intensifying of that Safety and Compliance vehicle running around again. When you are on their radar, you will know and take note of who makes it a point to observe your house.. got questioned when a family member's brand new vehicle was over 20-30 minutes for some laundry.. that guy staight up acted like Neighborhood Watch or LEO.. I didn't answer his final question and made it a point to give him a quizzical look.. I do believe he got the message.. hasn't bothered us since.

Always wondered which neighbors have set up cameras. Life is good right now. If they decide to have a revenue push.. all of a sudden, maybe the side grass is too brown? On the side between the two homes... totally not our fault.. but.

If you have a GOOD HOA? Give thanks.

And I don't fish nor have any interest in that so this sign doesn't offend me. There is a pool to swim, I will not use it because apparently I need to be supervised. Hard pass.

View attachment 112787
...lookin' out my back door.
View attachment 112792
I like the catch and release rule (y)

I've lived in several communities with HOA's. Golf course, waterfront, mountain side, and such. Very nice places to live. It seems for the most part that those who hate HOA's are the reason HOA's exist.
I feel HOAs are for people who like "apartment life", but want a slightly bigger living area. I know people who love that kind've living environment (apartments, condos, and HOAs) because you don't have to maintain anything. You can just come and go, eat and sleep without any worries. But man the people I know who live in those things (apartments, condos, HOAs) constantly live walking on eggshells. No thanks!

Rental house on a small cul-de-sac, 2 houses and then the 5 on the circle. Rental is 3rd on left going in so 1st house on the circle. Homeowner nazis are constantly sending letters complaining. Land behind house is undeveloped so nobody to see or complain back there. One letter was for one missing slat in the 6 foot wooden fence along the side dividing yard with side neighbors yard about 2/3 of the way back along fence so from the road you couldn't see a missing slat. One 3.75" wide slat. Tenant runs a custom cooking business from a smoker pulled behind his truck. He takes it to the house to unload/load/clean before taking it to put away in a storage facility. Have had several letters saying no trailers allowed. Power wash this. Power wash that.

I understand standards must be maintained and want that but within reason. And it's a freaking small cul-de-sac with only 9 houses total. Nobody drives on that street unless they live there or know someone. I don't know who or why but their inspector seems to have an issue with my rental. I'm going to sell it and be done with the jerks.

Having the mental capacity to understand another creature's pain is what separates us from the animals.
I don't fish and I don't feel a need to dictate what other people do that enjoy it. You can take it up with them.

I feel HOAs are for people who like "apartment life", but want a slightly bigger living area. I know people who love that kind've living environment (apartments, condos, and HOAs) because you don't have to maintain anything.

The last place I lived, the only thing the HOA maintained was the parking lot and common grounds. My driveway, my house, my yard, were all my responsibility to maintain.

My brother closes on a condo in an addition next week with a HOA. His neighbor is on the board and embezzled a decent sum of cash without going to jail.

My in-laws HOA adopted a rule that no vehicles in driveways could have company advertising on them. The neighbor had a truck that wouldn’t fit in the garage that the company provided for him with company decals on it. Don’t know what ever happened with that.

My brother widened his concrete driveway to park a 3rd vehicle. The HOA had a rule that driveways could only be a certain width. A busy body ratted my brother out (it was 2 feet above maximum width) so he had to have his concrete driveway saw-cut to reduce its overall width.

Last edited:
I don't understand why someone would buy a house in an HOA without doing their research and talking to a board member or a few neighbors first to determine if their lifestyle is compatible. An HOA is not a good place for people who don't think the rules apply to them. In my neighborhood, we don't want businesses, or trailers, or farm animals, or loose dogs. So we don't allow them. If you want those things, please live somewhere else.

I feel HOAs are for people who like "apartment life", but want a slightly bigger living area. I know people who love that kind've living environment (apartments, condos, and HOAs) because you don't have to maintain anything. You can just come and go, eat and sleep without any worries. But man the people I know who live in those things (apartments, condos, HOAs) constantly live walking on eggshells. No thanks!
It's tough living in a community with an HOA. The 1/2 acre manicured lawns are a bit cramped and the 30 minute boat run to the Gulf of Mexico does limit our access to loads of Red Snapper and Grouper.
20210809_062237.jpg

Yes they are terrible. They only let me keep four cars or trucks in my driveway.

Last edited:
So my dog that use to howl and the neighbor complained to the HOA board has finally gotten comfortable that I will come and walk him first thing in the morning and so he has stopped howling early in the morning.

And the ticket the dog warden gave me because my neighbor call the dog warden was dismissed for unknown reason.

I don't understand why someone would buy a house in an HOA without doing their research and talking to a board member or a few neighbors first to determine if their lifestyle is compatible. An HOA is not a good place for people who don't think the rules apply to them. In my neighborhood, we don't want businesses, or trailers, or farm animals, or loose dogs. So we don't allow them. If you want those things, please live somewhere else.
My thoughts exactly. You sign the bylaws when you buy...people need to do their homework.

Exactly
Reading the posts in here, I find it interesting that some have an issue with an HOA. If they do have an issue, why did they buy into a community with one?
For the others, why comment on the way other people chose and agree to certain set of standard rules for living in a community?
Its those comments which dictates why I wouldnt live in a community without a strong HOA ;)

Last edited:
Exactly
Reading the posts in here, I find it interesting that some have an issue with an HOA. If they do have an issue, why did they buy into a community with one?
For the others, why comment on the way other people chose and agree to certain set of standard rules for living in a community?
Its those comments which dictates why I wouldnt live in a community without a strong HOA ;)
Because some nazi groups go FAR beyond reasonable in their actions most likely. If they were reasonable there would be no issues.

Because some nazi groups go FAR beyond reasonable in their actions most likely. If they were reasonable there would be no issues.
What isn’t reasonable?
You purchase a home in a community with rules and regulations that the majority of residents chose and that you as a purchaser know ahead of time.
It’s exactly why the people decide to live there, like a free people majority rules the HOA.
No different than the majority chooses your local zoning commission and county government, so on and so on.
Your choice of words are actually your behavior deciding what is good for other people leaving solely you to decide how they must live instead of the majority.

Last edited:
Back