Post your HOA horror stories here

What isn’t reasonable?
You purchase a home in a community with rules and regulations that the majority of residents chose and that you as a purchaser know ahead of time.
It’s exactly why the people decide to live there, like a free people majority rules the HOA.
No different than the majority chooses your local zoning commission and county government, so on and so on.
Your choice of words are actually your behavior deciding what is good for other people leaving solely you to decide how they must live instead of the majority.
I definitely agree people should read the fine print before signing on the dotted line, and most do. Most, if not all people I know who live in HOAs thought the initial concept sounded great at first, but then they come to find out that every breath they take is being dictated, and it begins to wear thin very fast.

What isn’t reasonable?
You purchase a home in a community with rules and regulations that the majority of residents chose and that you as a purchaser know ahead of time.
It’s exactly why the people decide to live there, like a free people majority rules the HOA.
No different than the majority chooses your local zoning commission and county government, so on and so on.
Your choice of words are actually your behavior deciding what is good for other people leaving solely you to decide how they must live instead of the majority.
This is a thread about the horror stories..... The extreme examples. I'm not going to re-read all eleven pages for examples, but one that comes to mind was the guy who got fined (or warned, I don't remember which) for having his garage door open during the daytime while not actively bringing a car in or out of the garage. Now what is the point of a rule that stipulates when a garage door is left open? What if the homeowner is in there sanding some furniture or applying stain, and needs some ventilation? There are rules, and then there are insane stupid rules. Who the heck cares if the door is open? I might be crazy but I kind of like walking around my neighborhood and seeing people out in their yards, on their porch, or (gasp!) even in their garage. Stuff that makes it, you know, a neighborhood.

What isn’t reasonable?
What isn't reasonable is when you have a trailer in the driveway for an afternoon and get a letter of violation for parking a trailer which obviously to any intelligent person means you can't keep it there for days/weeks at a time. But how are you supposed to load/unload/wash it for instance?

I don't understand why someone would buy a house in an HOA without doing their research and talking to a board member or a few neighbors first to determine if their lifestyle is compatible. An HOA is not a good place for people who don't think the rules apply to them. In my neighborhood, we don't want businesses, or trailers, or farm animals, or loose dogs. So we don't allow them. If you want those things, please live somewhere else.
I completely agree. However, here is what I'm facing now. I'm trying to find a house with no HOA or a limited one on acreage in a rural area. Getting the covenants and rules isn't a problem, most are pages long, with confusing additions and subtractions over time, some are unreadable copies, and MANY say, subject to interpretation by the architectural committee. I email, then call them up if no response to clarify what I have and what I may want to do, and get no response. I'm trying to be a good neighbor before I move in, but many can't be bothered. So I don't move there when the house is great, the property is great, and the current houses are all doing what I want to do. The neighbors say, it shouldn't be a problem, but that wont matter in the end.

It sucks when I'm trying because I know the "you should have known the rules and have done your research" will not be a valid defense once I'm locked in.

I completely agree. However, here is what I'm facing now. I'm trying to find a house with no HOA or a limited one on acreage in a rural area. Getting the covenants and rules isn't a problem, most are pages long, with confusing additions and subtractions over time, some are unreadable copies, and MANY say, subject to interpretation by the architectural committee. I email, then call them up if no response to clarify what I have and what I may want to do, and get no response. I'm trying to be a good neighbor before I move in, but many can't be bothered. So I don't move there when the house is great, the property is great, and the current houses are all doing what I want to do. The neighbors say, it shouldn't be a problem, but that wont matter in the end.

It sucks when I'm trying because I know the "you should have known the rules and have done your research" will not be a valid defense once I'm locked in.
Get an attorney to go over the contract with you.

My thoughts exactly. You sign the bylaws when you buy...people need to do their homework.

Rules are removed and added as meetings and votes are called. Except here, they plan these meetings during the week and hours where most people are at work. Then the only ones that show up are the old, retired folks. Another unfortunate event is residents who are closer to the HOA board members and may get a pass when another resident will get a fine.

Or votes and changes are not allowed until the entire subdivision is finished and all residences occupied - which could be years or never.

Some rules are just straight lame and you never think that anybody would actually care or be bothered by it. In my townhouse HOA, there's a rule where you are not allowed to grill out in your driveway. My old neighbors across the cul-de-sac did it here and there but nobody cared about it, not even the president of the HOA who lives right next to us. The old lady that lives on the other side of me apparently does and called it in as well as a picture (that's how everyone knew she was the neighborhood snitch.)

Last edited:
The old lady that lives on the other side of me apparently does and called it in as well as a picture (that's how everyone knew she was the neighborhood snitch.)
I'm surprised Amazon still sells shirts like this. I'm not sure if you're supposed to wear it or leave it as a gift. Probably considered threatening though.

Sure, while I'm writing an offer when time is part of the element.
I don't understand what you're trying to infer. But as I was saying, an attorney will go over any and all contracts with you and make sure you completely understand all the fine print. My gf does this for clients all the time.

It's all good, I appreciate your input. Not really trying to infer anything other than I'm trying to do my homework while I look at houses and consider making an offer. I don't see the value in having a lawyer looking over an HOA agreement that's vague, much less an HOA who won't respond to questions. My whole point is I want to be a good neighbor, but the HOA won't cooperate.

It's all good, I appreciate your input. Not really trying to infer anything other than I'm trying to do my homework while I look at houses and consider making an offer. I don't see the value in having a lawyer looking over an HOA agreement that's vague, much less an HOA who won't respond to questions. My whole point is I want to be a good neighbor, but the HOA won't cooperate.
Time is of the essence as the saying goes. I don't know about your state, but you can have a home inspection contingency and as part of that you can include the condo docs so if you make an offer and you don't like what's in the condo docs, you can back out. Of course having a contingency might mean they don't take your offer. You can also ask the listing agent for a copy of the condo docs in advance so you can review the rules and regulations before putting in an offer. Usually condo or HOA associations don't respond to people who aren't members of the HOA so it's not surprising you're not getting any cooperation from the HOA, the listing agent is the one who should be providing the info to you before you make an offer if they have it on hand. Sometimes they don't have it when they just list the property. The lawyer would review the HOA as part of working on the closing of the property. We're an attorney state so normally you'd have an attorney involved in any purchase anyway although some states are title company states and don't have any attorneys involved.

In our state we do have an HOA document clause, although it is just for receipt of the docs. I'm looking a them beforehand as I look at each property, even before I go to see them in any case.

The whole point I was responding to was to the statement of I don't understand why someone would buy a house in an HOA without doing their research and talking to a board member or a few neighbors first to determine if their lifestyle is compatible. It would be easy for me to say I saw the neighbors doing it so I thought it was ok. I've had a couple of great HOA's respond to me who appreciated I was reaching out beforehand, but when I'm spending a lifetime worth of savings and previous home equity I don't think it's too much for any HOA to say, yes or no you can't build a shop on the property.

What isn't reasonable is when you have a trailer in the driveway for an afternoon and get a letter of violation for parking a trailer which obviously to any intelligent person means you can't keep it there for days/weeks at a time. But how are you supposed to load/unload/wash it for instance?
I would read my HOA documents first to see if they are correct, if they are not ignore it, if they are, go to the next HOA meeting or better yet, run to be on the board. The homeowners are the HOA.
Our HOA allows a reasonable amount of time, we have a boat too. "long term" not allowed, a couple days no one will bother you.

I definitely agree people should read the fine print before signing on the dotted line, and most do. Most, if not all people I know who live in HOAs thought the initial concept sounded great at first, but then they come to find out that every breath they take is being dictated, and it begins to wear thin very fast.
Yes, as you must know since your girlfriend goes over this with people, many people live in a fantasy land when it comes to law.
They "think" that a certain activity will be ok and they not bothering anyone and think just because its in the documents still no one will bother them over this or that silly thing, until they are bothered.
AS she knows, HOAs are the community, members of the board are elected by the homeowners hence HOA = HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION and anyone can run for the board. This isn't some "outside agency" telling them what they can do or not.
In a new community, not yet completed, the developer is the HOA until the community is completed. Everyone gets their HOA documents, they all know the rules, simple stuff until a homeowner realizes he doesnt like a rule and ignores it.

I really like this subject (in case you didnt know*LOL*) because when we moved from another state to where we live now, moving into a community with an HOA was a must have requirement because I have seen communities without one and not the life I wanted nor was paying for.
Yeah, there are always a few in a community that are vocal about the rules, oh well, too bad. The comments from most are, "move"
I think our community is reasonable, exterior of homes must be power wash clean, no overnight parking in street, garbage cans hidden except for pick up day, no commercial vehicles in driveways, no boats or other things parked in the driveway for long periods of time.
Get approval for fencing, no vinyl fencing
ya da ya da.

Last edited:
Everywhere we've lived, there have been city codes that keep the undesirables out, and keep people from being slobs. Mature, educated, and responsible adults don't need Karens dictating their lives as if they were children.

Everywhere we've lived, there have been city codes that keep the undesirables out, and keep people from being slobs. Mature, educated, and responsible adults don't need Karens dictating their lives as if they were children.
Now we do that with price. When the neighborhood is expensive enough, it keeps the undesirables out.

"and it begins to wear thin very fast"
Only for people who made a bad choice for themself and their way of living. The vast majority love their HOA community and that is why they live there and that is why their home values are so high. Also the majority in the community IS the HOA so clearly the ones that are not happy with the majority of their fellow residents.
Almost every expensive community in the country has an HOA to maintain standards and the ones who don like it, we are glad to see leave.
If it wore thin "very fast" resale values and high turnover rates would plummet home values not raise home values.

Reactions: GON
You confirmed what an HOA is, majority rules just like your city codes that you praise. But somehow you don like the idea of mature, educated responsible adults doing the same...
(think about that)
You're sounding like a Karen, one whom wishes that people live as you say instead of a majority of residents in your community, yet its ok for government authority to be your "Karen"

Back