Fighting HOA - anyone have any luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I want to move there.

Come on down. Land is cheap and homes are probably a fraction of the cost of yours. $250K buys A LOT here. Bonus, if there's more people like you here, that means it's that much less likely Mr. alarmguy will be my neighbor. Besides, we don't need alarms here...

Hey, South Carolina is still the land of the free as well!
New home, 3 times the sq footage of the New York home, one half the purchase price, Property taxes in NY 400% higher too.

As far as crime rate, well, you would need to look at the facts.
Property crime rates in Oklahoma are among the worst in the country, SC too, but means nothing, we like you are more rural, we have open land and free space.

Source - Click

Like anything, security systems are options for people, like guns or any self defense device and Oklahoma has just as many alarms as any other state in the country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Most of Oklahoma is a 2 horse town.

You say that like it's a BAD thing...

01.gif

Hmmmm. My HOA bills $200/year for maintenance on the roads, and $80/ 6mo for trash. Other than that, they mandate community standards (no homes under 1600sf, no homes nearer than 50ft to adjoining property, no building on lots smaller than 5 acres, etc. Basically good stuff that maintains our land values). I am lucky with my HOA I guess. They have greatly benefitted me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dailydriver
^^^OK, but do they tell you that you CANNOT work on your cars, IN YOUR VERY OWN DRIVEWAY,EVER?!?!?
Exactly like he implied. Follow the money.

^^^OK, but do they tell you that you CANNOT work on your cars, IN YOUR VERY OWN DRIVEWAY,EVER?!?!?

My brother got a warning because he was adding wiper fluid and HOA communist in golf cart snapped a photo with the car in driveway and hood open.

These are houses starting at $600K.

I live in a condo complex which is-of course-governed by an HOA.

Everyone who lives there is either a student or what I'd call a young professional. Frankly, no one has time to go around looking for nit-picky violations.

The dues pay a management company, which takes care of general external upkeep. They mow, pressure wash the sidings and decks, and maintain all the landscaping, parking area, etc. including snow removal in the winter. I don't want to live there forever(it works for me now) but for the time being it suits me and there are a lot of things I don't have to worry about.

Probably our single biggest issue is that we have to "fire" the management company every few years and hire another. Generally, for the first year or so, we get great service from a management company and then after the "honeymoon" stuff starts getting neglected. Picking a new management company is always a fun job, as we don't want to go with the lowest bidder, but raising dues is a last resort(although unfortunately inevitable every few years to keep the place functioning).

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

My brother got a warning because he was adding wiper fluid and HOA communist in golf cart snapped a photo with the car in driveway and hood open.

These are houses starting at $600K.

600K houses don't have garages?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Hmmmm. My HOA bills $200/year for maintenance on the roads, and $80/ 6mo for trash. Other than that, they mandate community standards (no homes under 1600sf, no homes nearer than 50ft to adjoining property, no building on lots smaller than 5 acres, etc. Basically good stuff that maintains our land values). I am lucky with my HOA I guess. They have greatly benefitted me.

5 acre lot minimum? 2 I could see (seems very common around here) but at 5 acres, seems hard to have an association to me (I thought those were for the 'burbs where it was more like half acre lots typically). That said, more or less sounds like the town I live in--no HOA fees but plenty of two ordinances, and of course, property taxes pay for trash removal (but we have to bring it to the transfer station ourselves).

Absolutely not. I put in a 125m reactive target rifle range for crying out loud. Just the other day my neighbor loaned me his 6hp air compressor to remove stubborn blade retention bolts on my eXmark. Which I drove to his house like Bobby, rofl!

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Ws6

5 acre lot minimum? 2 I could see (seems very common around here) but at 5 acres, seems hard to have an association to me (I thought those were for the 'burbs where it was more like half acre lots typically). That said, more or less sounds like the town I live in--no HOA fees but plenty of two ordinances, and of course, property taxes pay for trash removal (but we have to bring it to the transfer station ourselves).

Yes, 5 acre/1600sf minimums. Many of us have double lots, and more. One neighbor of mine has 100+ acres, I believe. I only have @13.

We handle everytbing ourselves (trash, we all have wells, roads and maintenance, etc)except internet and electricity , and some law enforcement/legal, which the HOA will hire an attorney for, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back