HOA Woes

Once it rolls up the wall and gets into the overhang and attic its on. Those fires require an aggressive attack and a lot of competent manpower to knock down. There are a lot of times where the building it originated in has to be written off and the resources directed at the exposures.
Well ya but house fires are rare. Especially newer homes so.

Remember a fire has to burn through the interior drywall, then ignite the sheathing, and burn through the cement siding, then get into soffits of the adjacent unit in sufficient amounts to ignite the framing inside. It's not easy to do. It's why they're allowed to be built as close as they are.

I dont think newer homes are any less likely to burn than an older one. I never saw any evidence of that. I do know for a fact that modern lightweight construction methods make for a building that burns faster and is structurally unstable much quicker than older methods.
Your analysis of the fire behavior is not indicative of how things really happen. Windows and other openings in the wall will spread the fire outside very quickly. Not to mention many fires start on the exterior from a variety of causes including lightning, grills, careless smokers and electrical to name a few.
While cement board siding is superior to vinyl or wood siding its role as a fire stop is limited. Its superiority to vinyl is that it doesnt add a layer of fuel.
I am a retired Professional firefighter with 25 yrs experience.

I dont think newer homes are any less likely to burn than an older one. I never saw any evidence of that. I do know for a fact that modern lightweight construction methods make for a building that burns faster and is structurally unstable much quicker than older methods.
Your analysis of the fire behavior is not indicative of how things really happen. Windows and other openings in the wall will spread the fire outside very quickly. Not to mention many fires start on the exterior from a variety of causes including lightning, grills, careless smokers and electrical to name a few.
While cement board siding is superior to vinyl or wood siding its role as a fire stop is limited. Its superiority to vinyl is that it doesnt add a layer of fuel.
I am a retired Professional firefighter with 25 yrs experience.

Well sure but we're talking about the specific examples I provided. Rather than your vinyl, wooden clapboard, EIFS clads home.

I am in an HOA where most homes were built 15 or so years ago. 25 homes total. No pool or tennis court. I took on the HOA president position recently. Two other board members and a treasurer & asst treasurer. Not a lot of interest in being on the board by most homeowners.

Higher priced homes in this HOA. People take pretty good car of their homes and yards.

HOA mainly deals with roadway, gate, two ponds and grass cutting for common areas.

One or two out of 25 are minor trouble makers.

Biggest issue is minor flooding after rain. The swales in people's front yards to drain water into the ponds were probably marginal when the development was first built. Over the years people have changed yards and landscaping and the rain drainage via the swales is not working all the well.

Delaware is flat. Not a lot of slope to drain water. As someone said, I can see my dog for two days after he has started to run away.

Well sure but we're talking about the specific examples I provided. Rather than your vinyl, wooden clapboard, EIFS clads
Its like you didnt even read what I posted. I am tapping out.
Its not like I have any experience in this stuff ;)
Sorry, I cant be your sycophant.

Last edited:
Back