Post your current MPG

2021 Ram 2500 - 12 mpg for the first two tanks, which have mostly been short trips. I get to take it on a highway run tomorrow and will see how it does.

'08 Hyundai Accent 1.6L 5sp mt 175k miles 41 mpg, put in new cat and O2 a year ago.

'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2LT 6sp mt 32 mpg. Tuned and catless.

All local driving, town and country:

2014 Scion XD, 2.4 4 sp. AT, 24 mpg
2013 Scion XD, 1.8 4 sp. AT, 30 mpg
1982 D150 slant 6, 4 sp. manual OD, 15 mpg.

Averaging 18.1 in the '16 RAM Limited 4x4 5.7L/8spd, getting 20.2 with the '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 3.6L/8spd and 20.2 with the '08 CTS 3.6DI. These numbers are off the driver info display so I am sure they are skewed a bit.

2011 Camry 4-cylinder

Mileage varies from 21mpg with 100% short trips (3 +/- miles) around town including one long uphill several times a week to 28mpg with 90% highway driving.

How long is your commute? I've yet to see anything like that kind of MPG. The best I've done so far was 27.5 during a long run of highway cruising, though I'm still below 7000 miles on my CX-5.

Is that number calculated, or is it via the onboard computer? If so mine has been very optimistic with its calculations most of the time.

I am retired so no commute. This is mainly shopping and just driving around.

Some personal observations; the fuel economy seems to really get better at around the 10,000 mile mark. Why? I don’t have the answer. The engine should be well broken in by then. I fill up and do not top off. For the first several fill ups I compared my calculations to the onboard computer and it was pretty exact, within a few tenths of a mile. I just go by the computer now with a occasional check on a calculator to make sure.

The Mazda is very throttle sensitive. In the info screen in the instrument panel, I have mine set to the window that shows mpg. It gives a instant reading via a gauge. I don’t know if the later models still have it. You will have to cycle through the options to check. What I find is that a very slight release of throttle pressure will keep your speed on on level ground but the mpg will of course bump up. The computer and the engine will sense when you are cruising and you will see that mpg read out bump up. I think the engine is going into the Miller cycle at that moment.

I run Shell premium gasoline as well. Tires are inflated to 35-36 pounds. On a longer trip I have seen fuel economy over 35 mpg. This is in the summer with air conditioning too. My ‘17 is naturally aspirated and has no cylinder deactivation.

Last camping trip out in the truck 400 miles round trip, with 7800lbs trailer I average 8.9 mpg hand calculated. I was pretty happy with that.

I am retired so no commute. This is mainly shopping and just driving around.

I snipped your post, those are helpful ideas, though I'll just have to wait and see. You are not the first person I've seen to comment that milage tends to go up in the 7-10k range. I also need to get back in the habit of keeping a keener eye on tire pressure.

My CX-5 does have CD though I can't fathom that makes all that much difference where fuel economy is concerned.

In the info screen, I can have both the instant-read mileage and the average mileage since I last reset the counter (every tank of gas), I've noticed the throttle sensitivity. Just recently (likely due to warmer temps) I've been seeing drive averages go up noticeably if there are any appreciable highway miles driven (15-20+ miles cruising on the highway). Just in the last week did I see my first "average drive mileage" hit 29. Unfortunately, depending on the week I sometimes do a lot more city driving than anything else, and that just wrecks my average. Anyway, thanks for the details and the ideas!

2021 Ram 2500 - 12 mpg for the first two tanks, which have mostly been short trips. I get to take it on a highway run tomorrow and will see how it does.
Squeaked 18 mpg (according to dash) average over a 36 mile run this morning. Pretty much an ideal trip for fuel economy, 50-55 mpg with minimal stops.

Average MPGs: Corvette 20, Tacoma 23, WR 25, XR 35 (in their defense, the bikes get a lot of 1st & 2nd gear single track trail riding)

All local driving, town and country:

2014 Scion XD, 2.4 4 sp. AT, 24 mpg
2013 Scion XD, 1.8 4 sp. AT, 30 mpg
1982 D150 slant 6, 4 sp. manual OD, 15 mpg.
Interesting that the 2.4 XD is that much thirstier, do you find its alot peppier than the 1.8? We almost got a 2.4 mtx Pontiac Vibe years ago when they were getting rid of the brand.

The Focus is averaging 32mpg with the winters on, I have switched to 195/65R15 all seasons from the 185/65R15 winters trying for a gearing reduction and a bit smoother quieter ride. I just filled up so we'll see how it does.
I was inspired by our Outback which has relatively huge wagon wheels turning much slower and it can pull off the same or better mileage as the Focus, when driven by me atleast. My Wife averages 27 mpg with some idling on the cold mornings. I like going for 40km drive in it and watch the estimated range going up.

Last tank on the Pickup : 22.5 mpg - average since new 21.6

Last tank on the Motorcycle: 54.7 - average since new 56.4 mpg

Interesting that the 2.4 XD is that much thirstier, do you find its alot peppier than the 1.8? We almost got a 2.4 mtx Pontiac Vibe years ago when they were getting rid of the brand.
That should have been 2014 Scion XB. Yes, the 2.4 XB has considerably more torque than the XD 1.8 and feels to have lower gearing as well. Getting 24 locally requires easy driving. It will do about 27 on Interstate driving with terrible aerodynamics. Although it's a much smaller car, the XD only weighs 300 lbs. less. That will do 35 mpg on rare highway driving. The old school 4 spd. auto trans are most of the blame for lower fuel mileage. A econo car the size of an XD, 40 years ago, weighed about about 2000-2100 lbs. The XD weighs 2750. ABS, A/C, power windows, locks and more safety in doors are the culprits.

Back