Post your current MPG

'09 YARIS 4 dr. liftback with auto . 38.13 m.p.g.. Mostly 2 people , plenty of hills , and about 35% city / 65% Hwy ( 70+ m.p.h. at times ). Running SHELL 5w-30 full synthetic , 34 p.s.i. , and 87 octane with ethanol , imagine still winter gas . Less than 2,200 miles . Not bad .

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: fordboy
To bad to say for my Ford truck.

What truck>Ford 250?

I get about 14MPG highway in my 04 F250 w/ the 5.4L. Readings were based of scanguage. Truck has 3 toolboxes, one center and two side, fully loaded with tools. 3-4 bags of concrete in the back and a bunch of trash from a recent demo.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Last 4 tanks in a 2005 Toyota Corolla 5 speed.

About 85% highway and 15% short trip city. Average 70 MPH on the freeway. A/C use most of the time during the day. Temps in the 70s day and 40-50s at night.

Average over 2313 miles is 46.38

Same gas pump, same time of day and filled 1 notch slower on the pump than max and when the pump shut off, did not top off.

Tire pressure was 33-34 psi (manual and door jam says 30)

Take care, bill
That's very high. By any chance are you in the high plains at ~ 3,000 feet?
Nope.

How about 4500 ft and above.
grin2.gif

I'd have to drive far to get as low as 3000 ft.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: toytundranator

What truck>Ford 250?

I get about 14MPG highway in my 04 F250 w/ the 5.4L. Readings were based of scanguage. Truck has 3 toolboxes, one center and two side, fully loaded with tools. 3-4 bags of concrete in the back and a bunch of trash from a recent demo.
My scan gauge is not very accurate when you do the math with miles vs how much you pumped in. (in many different vehicles)

Off as much as 2 mpg. Same with the computer in dash in the Subaru.

I'd not trust it as fact personally. You may be doing better!

20.5 city/23.8 hwy 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4WD 4.0L V6 after 14-15mpg in my YukonXl 6.0L it is really a noticable improvement.

Last edited:
My Jeep gets around 20 mpg mixed driving with 100% pure gasoline. About 15-16 on E10. Lowest has been 13 on E10.

My Z28 gets 18 city and 34 on the highway regardless of pure gas or E10. Kinda makes me wonder..

All hand calculated over at least two fill ups.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
My Jeep gets around 20 mpg mixed driving with 100% pure gasoline. About 15-16 on E10. Lowest has been 13 on E10.

My Z28 gets 18 city and 34 on the highway regardless of pure gas or E10. Kinda makes me wonder..

All hand calculated over at least two fill ups.

34 on the highway out of a Z28? You're a lucky man.

For our fleet, it goes as follows:

2000 Corolla- Averages about 29-31mpg, mixed driving. This car only has a 3 speed auto. 151K miles.

2005 Corolla S/Auto- I've only calculated once, it was 29.6mpg mixed driving. I'll have to check again soon(a few tanks), disappointed with that mileage(rated 30/38). 90K miles.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII- Averages 22mpg, mixed driving w/ the 4.6DOHC. I'm not exactly light footed either. 87K miles.

bigmpggraph.png

2008 Toyota Sienna LE, 3.5L 2gr-fe engine. All tanks are on this graph from when the van was new in June 2008. Tanks are noted as:

0% = no ethanol, 87 octane
0%(P) = no ethanol, 92 octane
10% = 10% ethanol, 89 octane
30% = 30% ethanol, 94 octane

Dark blue line is MPG as displayed on trip computer, purple line is MPG as calculated by hand. Light blue line is cents per mile as calculated per tank. Yellow line is fuel price per gallon.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: toytundranator

What truck>Ford 250?

My scan gauge is not very accurate when you do the math with miles vs how much you pumped in. (in many different vehicles)

Off as much as 2 mpg. Same with the computer in dash in the Subaru.

I'd not trust it as fact personally. You may be doing better!

lol, when I tried the MPG readout in my Tundra, I get 18-21MPG! And that's with the V8, empty on a flat highway.

Although I have not gone through the tank yet, my xB is showing 34mpg right now! (realistically, 32mpg, its off by 1.7 or something). A mix of freeway driving, summer gas blend back (+Vpower), CAI and tires that may have lower rolling resistance then my old ones. Happy so far, looking good!

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Although I have not gone through the tank yet, my xB is showing 34mpg right now! (realistically, 32mpg, its off by 1.7 or something). A mix of freeway driving, summer gas blend back (+Vpower), CAI and tires that may have lower rolling resistance then my old ones. Happy so far, looking good!
what tires ? Which XB ( 1.5 ltr. or 2.4 ) ? Auto or manual ?

2008 xB, 2.4L.

Driving home the other day my instant MPG was constantly in the 34-50 range. No tailwind (was calm). Slight slight grades up and down. I have gotten 33mpg before, so I wonder what this tank will say when it is all said and dry! I usually average 28-29 though in summer, mixed driving. 30-33 all freeway.

The tires are Falken 912's - 225-45/17's. The wheels I have now at 17x8 Konig Runaways, which are only about 17.7lbs a piece. The tire itself though is heavier though. Overall they are 4lbs heavier per wheel then stock.

The only other changes that "might" help is the CAI I just installed. But like I said, I will see what it ends up with at the end of this tank. I should get about 350+ miles though before I do fillup.

Last edited:
I don't understand why, as denser air has more "energy" in a sense, thus, the engine technically can do less work to maintain same power. More dense the O2, the greater power possibility.

I will also say, heatsink is not an issue. After over an hour of straight driving, engine bay was nice and toasty, the pipe was much cooler. Slightly cool to the touch compared to the surrounding air in the bay. The air it draws up really does well to cool off the pipes.

2003 2.0L 5spd 4x4 Chevy Tracker, averages 27mpg Apr-Nov. Mid 20's with aggresive snowtires in winter. The O2 sensor heater element has failed so it probably hurts mpg for the first mile or two.

1995 2.0L 3spd auto Neon, averages 34mpg Apr-Nov. High 20's or low 30's in winter with aggresive snowtires in winter.

The Tracker has a factory CAI getting air out of the fender, the Neon has a factory WAI and takes air out of the engine bay.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
I don't understand why, as denser air has more "energy" in a sense, thus, the engine technically can do less work to maintain same power. More dense the O2, the greater power possibility.

Here's what some enterprising ecomodder wrote on wikipedia:

Quote:
A warm air intake or WAI is a system to decrease the amount of the air going into a car for the purpose of increasing the fuel economy of the internal-combustion engine. This term may also be used to describe a short ram air intake, a totally different intake modification.

All warm air intakes operate on the principal of decreasing the amount of oxygen available for combustion with fuel. Warm air from inside the engine bay is used opposed to air taken from the generally more restrictive stock intake. Warmer air is less dense, and thus contains less oxygen to burn fuel in. The car's ECU compensates by opening the throttle wider to admit more air. This, in turn, decreases the resistance the engine must overcome to suck air in. The net effect is for the engine to intake the same amount of oxygen (and thus burn the same amount of fuel, producing the same power) but with less friction losses, allowing for a gain in fuel economy, at the expense of top-end power.

Opposite principle of a cold air intake (CAI) which significantly differs by collecting air from a colder source outside of the engine.

In the extreme, a warm air intake can eliminate the need for a conventional throttle and thus eliminate throttle losses

I did notice last year when Florida started putting corn juice [10% ethanol] in all their gasses everybody I know including me saw their gas mileage drop..The car also seemed to idle smoother before the corn juice.

Back