Post your current MPG

Originally Posted By: smokey1
correction : 265.8 miles divided by 6.175 gallons of gas . Many steep hills , occupants : about 1/3 one person , 2/3 2 people , very windy , some wet roads , around 30% city / 70% City , and average of 60 degrees . Stopped fill at 1 click of gas nozzle ( as always ) . New DENSO ( TOYO ) air filter at about 10,000 miles and SHELL 5w-30 Full Synthetic motor oil .
tires set at little over 34 p.s.i..

1997 Subaru Impreza with 214,000 miles on it, averages 31mpg summer, 29mpg winter. My 2006 CTD powered 3/4 ton Ram is averaging 20 (only had it a few months). One tank (yeah, I know, one tank isn't a trend :) ) saw almost nothing but rural highway 55mph traveling, and got 23.6 mpg. The other 3 tanks I've had it got 20.

Dave

I track my mileage over on MyMileMarker and I'm still right at 27mpg in my SVT Contour thats rated at 20/29.

Just checked the fuel mileage on the 2005 Corolla again. It was 28mpg. I guess it's not too bad, the A/C was run on high the whole tank. About 60/40 highway city, some hills. Like I said, not too bad, but this car is rated at 30/38mpg. It has original plugs(90K), which will be changed soon, so will the pcv, and air filter.

BTW, this car is an auto, hopefully the mileage will get better. I've heard of people with the same car getting 40+(manuals).

The 2000 Corolla actually gets consistently better mileage, usually 28-32mpg, and it only has the 3spd auto.

My newly acquired 96 4Runner SR5 is getting 18.5 city and 21.5 Highway, I just did the oil change today. Let's see what will happen.

Gassed up yesterday at the same station and pump I've been using for over a month, and came out with 22.2 for the last 9 days. I did a little more highway driving, but I ran the A/C lots more, so it balanced out.

Amazing how, the instant gas prices began to climb, everybody got worried about MPG again, huh? I expect the hypermiling thread to emerge from its grave, too.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Amazing how, the instant gas prices began to climb, everybody got worried about MPG again, huh? I expect the hypermiling thread to emerge from its grave, too.

Isn't that the truth! I shut off my engine at a 3+ minute light
on the way to work this morning... Got a trip mileage of 38mpg though, best so far this spring/summer going to work.

Just got back from a trip to Florida in my 96 Merc GM and got 25.2 MPG. Some of that was with AC on, so not bad for a V8 engine with 213,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Isn't that the truth! I shut off my engine at a 3+ minute light
on the way to work this morning... Got a trip mileage of 38mpg though, best so far this spring/summer going to work.

I'm running figures as we speak with my Honda dealer on Insights and Fits. I can't commute 120+ miles per day at at average of 23 mpg. We need a third car anyway, so...

If you can stand the look of them, a used toyota echo would be much more cost effective than a new car. Even a honda with 200k miles isn't worth much when you go to trade it in or sell it.

Well, that's the issue. I accumulate miles so quick it really doesn't do me any good to buy used. Plus, regardless of the recent news stories, a new matchbox is slightly safer than one from a few years ago.

I can't argue with the safety issue, but if you get an Echo with 50k miles for $5k, or a new Fit for $15k, and drive them to 200K miles aren't you spending 1/3 the money to go 3/4 the distance?
Assuming they are both worth the same amount at the end. Maybe the Fit might get you $1k more but that might be countered but the time value of your money you saved with the Echo...
Anyways, get whatever you want, 100 miles/day is a long time to spend in a car you don't like!
Ian

Yeah, there's a fun and comfort factor involved as well. Plus, it would be a shorter time until I hit 200k miles and once I buy this car, I don't have to worry about cars for a LONG time. I've bought 2 new and 2 used cars since 2002. The new cars...I still have. The used...well, after my SAAB 9-5 I'd rather be responsible for upkeep from day 1.

Towed my buddy's small-blocked S10 up to the dyno today.

Trailer w/truck on it ~4,500lbs.

Average MPG: 10.5.

Expedition towed it very well. No trailer brakes. Factory Ford stoppers did fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
'09 YARIS 4 door liftback w/ 4 speed auto : 39.1 m.p.g. Little under 3,000 miles . 34 P.S.I. and SHELL 5w-30 synthetic and 91 SUNOCO . :- )

Well, the 2005 Corolla got some better mileage this time: previous tank was 28mpg, last tank was 31.7. There was some MMO in the 28mpg tank, maybe it helped? Or it gets better mileage w/out it?

10.5 eh, I parents get similar mileage from their F150 towing the camper trailer. I guess it just how big gas engines work when towing...
I'm curious where the closest dyno is near us? How did the S10 do?

Originally Posted By: smokey1
'09 YARIS 4 door liftback w/ 4 speed auto : 39.1 m.p.g. Little under 3,000 miles . 34 P.S.I. and SHELL 5w-30 synthetic and 91 SUNOCO . :- )

Smokey, do you remember what the factory fill is on the Yaris?

I ask because now that we're back in comparable spring-like season to this time last year when I purchased my Yaris, I seem to recall the factory fill consistently providing me longer-lasting "bars" on the gas gauge. Yes, I know it's only anecdotal, but since I've been using Shell dino (either Shell-labeled or Motomaster-labeled), the bars seem to go away faster. I'm putting on more careful highway miles than I ever have on this car, yet the gas mileage is still roughly 3-4mpg from my old 100% city, 2-mile round'ers. Someone may point out that maybe I might be wearing unusually high, but all the UOA's I've done so far (a whole two of them) have come back with rather nice numbers, considering many people think 5K and 10K miles are still break-in points.

I have some Castrol Syntec 5w-30, I may try that for the coming winter (did I just say that, the coming winter?
LOL.gif
)

I'm newly minted single again, and I rarely go out much nowadays. I'm actually adding highway miles by going out to crown land to play with my pea shooters, or going to the astronomy club's observatory to work on repairing the dome.

I've been testing a few of the less radical hypermiling techniques to improve my fuel mileage. I'm not going so far as to shut the engine off in traffic, but I'm accelerating very gently, anticipating when I'll need to slow down and letting the engine do compression braking instead of using the brake pedal, not accelerating to the maximum speed limit when going up hills, and using the gravity to help me speed up when going down.

My car is a 1996 Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor. Rated fuel economy is 15/22 http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/12887.shtml

I just drove 221.0 miles and used 9.219 gallons of premium fuel with a 500:1 ratio of Pennzoil Premium Plus synthetic blend 2 stroke oil.

That's 23.97mpg! It was also ALL city driving!

Back