Post what you used in your first car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first several vehicles all took 10w40. Started with Quaker State, until saw the wax buildup under the oil cap and did some investigating.

Then used Castrol/Fram for several years; at the time Fram was easily one of the best filters out there.

Last edited:
PYB 10w30 in a 88' Pontiac Grand Am with the 2.5L "IRON DUKE" engine. Put like 199k on the car, and still know the old man that bought it off of me.

The 1991 Olds Delta 88 Royale I drove got Shell Rotella T 10w30. It had 175,000 miles when it was re-homed.

Originally Posted By: shell_user
PYB 10w30 in a 88' Pontiac Grand Am with the 2.5L "IRON DUKE" engine. Put like 199k on the car, and still know the old man that bought it off of me.

That 2.5L was a good first car engine, low on power but simple. They had lots of valvetrain noise but held together well. They improved it in some ways on the 88. My 86 with that engine was only at about 90K when it got in a wreck unfortunately.
I remember once as a teenager I parked my 86 GA near an old guy on a park bench, and he started asking me what was wrong with the engine. That thing practically sounded like a diesel, but typical for them. I always recognized when somebody had an iron duke running nearby. One time I heard one in a Firebird.. up until then I had no idea such a thing was possible.

This thread brings back some memories!

First car was a 1959 Dodge hand-me-down 383ci I got from my grandmother in 1969.
Don't recall the model but it had massive tailfins and a pushbutton transmission selector-- and a HUGE back seat!
wink.gif

Oil used was Havoline 30wt (I think) in the cardboard can with metal top/botom.
I was 17 at the time and worked in a Texaco station for $1/hr part time on weekends. Fuel was $.30 cents/gallon. The owner was generous and would let me use the lube bay and provided the oil at cost.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Around 1969 I bought a beautiful Triumph TR-4. I used Havoline oil and Fram cartridge refills.

Not the worlds best car for sure (Lucas electrics!) but a real chick magnet which was fine for a single guy!

Ohyeah-- electrics by Lucas, Prince of Darkness!
I had a 1973 MBG GT years ago so I know Mr. Lucas quite well....

First was a '77 Chevy Blazer 2WD K5 Cheyenne with a 350. Dad had me doing QS 10-30 or 10-40 & Fram filters 3 times a year. Speedo was broke, so no clue how many miles between OCI. Speedo read 263k in '99. She's still in my parent's chicken coop....just waiting to be resurrected.

After that was a '93 Eclipse. Started off with QS 10-30...but eventually switched over to SuperTech 10-30 and cheapest filters. Once it 180k, it was burning oil so I put 20-50 in...and forgot it was winter in Missouri. that was the slowest spinning engine I've ever heard. She was finally retired at 240k.

Ranger now gets MaxLife 5-30 & Purolator filters every 5k. 240k or bust!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: armos
Originally Posted By: shell_user

That 2.5L was a good first car engine, low on power but simple. They had lots of valvetrain noise but held together well. They improved it in some ways on the 88. My 86 with that engine was only at about 90K when it got in a wreck unfortunately.
I remember once as a teenager I parked my 86 GA near an old guy on a park bench, and he started asking me what was wrong with the engine. That thing practically sounded like a diesel, but typical for them. I always recognized when somebody had an iron duke running nearby. One time I heard one in a Firebird.. up until then I had no idea such a thing was possible.

To me...Iron Duke Equals the mail has arrived, as that is what the Grumman LLV the post office used near me came with.

For my oil, i think i used Pennzoil yellow bottle on a 2006 focus in 5w20, and after that mobil 1.

now that i own older cars, i use dino oil

First and only OCI in the 1992 sable with 230k, mobil super 5k 10W30

First one in the 2003 sable: Pennzoil (i think) it was done via a local lube place.

I remember using Castrol GTX 20W50 in my 1988 Jetta GLI 16v back in 1991. Mistake leaving that in New England winters. Noisy starts and very slow turning.

I used the appropriate for engine 15W40 and it got better.

1964 Ford Custom (base model Galaxy 500) with 3 options, heater, AM radio, 289 engine. Phillips 66 Trop Arctic, I think 10W 40. Was about 20 cents/qt by the case.

1964 Ford Custom (base model Galaxy 500) with 3 options, heater, AM radio, 289 engine. Phillips 66 Trop Arctic, I think 10W 40. Was about 20 cents/qt by the case.

My first car is the 66 Mustang in my signature with a 200 straight six and I've only run 10W-30 Pennzoil conventional in it since I was got it.

My F-150 on the other hand has had several different oils from M1, to Motorcraft, to Amsoil but mostly Pennzoil and it will will probably stay Pennzoil from here on out as I've always had good results with it.

In 1978, my first car was a 1968 Mercury Montego MX convertible with a 302. My First Oil change was Gulf Gulfpride 10W30 oil with a Lee filter purchased from Jamesway. The oil was .49/qt. and the filter was $1.89. That car had a steady diet of Gulf/Sunoco/Exxon 10W30 as those three were generally the oils that were on sale.

1975. My first car was a 1965 GMC 1/2 ton pickup. IIRC, I used Pennzoil 30 wt. summer and winter. Fram filters. Gas was 45 cents. Oh, yeah - 230 c.i. six, and three-on-the-tree.

My first car was a 65 Plymouth Belvedere II, 225 slant six and three on the tree. Purchased in 1970 at the Tacoma City Light auction. It got Sears 10w-40 at first. Later I heard somewhere that 20w-20 was better for that car. I switched to 20w-20 with a can of STP every 5,000 miles. MPGs went up to as high as 26, aided by the oil crisis and 55 mph speed limits. With that combination it did not use oil.

A 1966 Impala SS convertible with a little over 100,000 miles and burning ~1 qt per 500 miles. I used 10w 40 Quaker State in the warm months. My fathers family was from Pennsylvania. No other reason I could think of. We used 10w 30 in the winter.

My first car was a 1985 Honda Accord hatchback with the 1.8L 4 cylinder carbureted engine. I used Castrol GTX 10W-30 (mfg spec'ed) then after a couple of years switched to Mobil 1 10W-30 all the way until 1993 when it was totaled in a accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back