Post what you used in your first car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1986, I used nothing but the best for my 1976 Chevy Chevette/ 4spd: Castrol GTX 10w-40 in the winter and 20w-50 in the summer. My father mandated 3k oci with spark plugs after every other oil change. It ran until the shock tower rusted thru. What a great car!

I worked at a Shell gas station when I had my first car and it had a garage attached to it. The mechanics told me to use Rotella in my first car. Guess I got lucky because I had no clue.

First car was a '77 Dodge Omni. Got it used right after I graduated in '80. I think I used QS 10w40 in it. Maybe 10w30? Can't really recall. I do recall it had a 1.7L VW engine in it.

IIRC 89 Grand Am and the oil was dino Mobil and 3k oil changes with the dreaded orange can of death.

Around 1969 I bought a beautiful Triumph TR-4. I used Havoline oil and Fram cartridge refills.

Not the worlds best car for sure (Lucas electrics!) but a real chick magnet which was fine for a single guy!

It was a '66 LeMans ragtop, with a 326 2 bbl., and whatever slushbox they came with (I forgot, cut me some slack, it was 1973
lol.gif
).

I remember using the white Valvoline cans!!, in 10W-30 if I recall correctly, and the standard Purolator filters (all they had back then).

Lazer Red 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 with the 4.6L. I miss that car, I put alot of hours in auto shop in high school adding go-fast parts on the beauty! At the time I used nothing but 5w-30 Castrol GTX since it is what my Dad used.

first vehicle was a 96 gmc sonoma with a 4.3 v6,
had 90000 miles on it when i got it when i first got my license (which was in 2004) my dad changed the oil in it when he brought it home for me and i didnt pay attention to what oil he used but after i drove it for awhile i developed a led foot and drove like a typical teenage idiot lol but anyway i remember going to wal-mart with my best friend looking at oil to buy because we were both changing our oil for the first time. looking at different oils and reading the back of the bottles, i picked up castrol gtx and the first thing i read on the back was "Rapid Acceleration, Sudden Stops, and High Revving" i immediatly said to my friend, this sounds exactly like us i think this is our oil, and thats what we bought in 10w30 with ac delco filters for our trucks. and thats all i used for the rest of the time i had that truck, had 143000 on it when i sold it

86 Pontiac Grand Am 2.5L 4cyl, in Illinois
10w40 Pennzoil conventional, I guess API SH back then. I didn't have this car long but I think it saw at least 1 Delco filter, and probably Fram.
Some models might have been sportier, but my Grand Am clearly had the grandma suspension. I drove like a teenager and hated how the suspension completely gave up in cornering. Sometimes it felt like the whole car was on 1 wheel. It probably was.

I didn't take over all maintenance until my 2nd car. I was using Pennzoil 10w40 (SH-SJ) and Fram. I switched from Fram to Delco when they added that grip surface, which made it hard to use a socket. In retrospect, Delco was a better filter anyway.

55 Chevy-paid $125 for it in 1966-used so much oil I bought rerun bulk oil for 10 cents a quart if I remember correctly. Sold it and bought a Honda CB160...

My dad's 1981 Buick Skylark (horrible date car, but great in the snow!) took whatever 20W-50 I could find.

My first real car was an 88' Mercury Tracer 5sp (basically a restyled Mazda323) that I sorta miss to this day. Generally I used either 20W-50 in summer or 10W-40 the rest of the year. The favored oil was Pennzoil but I wasn't that picky and never changed it, nor check it, often enough regretfully...

Last edited:
Would have been 1970 and I put Duckhams 20w-50 oil in and a can of STP oil treatment. Duckhams was an independant oil company then although was later swallowed up by BP- it was a well regarded oil and was used a lot by the motor racing community then-it was unusual as it was green in colour.
My first car was a Riley 1.5 and my local shop would sell the oil and a fram filter for £1. In those days we changed the oil every 3000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back