Post what you used in your first car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
in the 1950s,

1937 Morris 8hp - Castrol SAE30 (Dads first car)
1939 Ford V8 DeLuxe - same stuff
1939 Chev I6 Master 85 - Castrol SAE20
Norton ES2, Dominator, BSA Gold Star, Triumph SpeedTwin and etc. bikes - Castrol "R" SAE30 and SAE40 (racing) - ohhhh the smell!! - and Castrol SAE40 (road)

1934 Singer LeMans - Castrol SAE30 (my first car - now worth a fortune!!!)

Ford V8s - Mobiloil Special 10W-30 in Gold 1 pint tins (gold prices too!)

Mid 1950s into early 1960s
Castrol Castrolite 20W-20
Castrol XL 20W-30
Castrol XXL 30-40
Castrol 20W-50 in the oil burners

From 1960-1 after much research-testing I always used HD lubricants (usually CAT Series 3 compliant) in my petrol engines! Still do in some!!

my first car was a 1969 ford mustang coupe (250ci) ran PYB 10W30 just like the previous owner until my dad sold the car.

1974 F-250 got SAE30 havoline when I was 15, and I sold it before I could drive!

1988 Mercury Cougar got Valvoline 10W-30 and over the years 118K to 238K I added things like Lucas Oil Stabilizer and Slick50 and used FRAM--stupid me.

1986 Chevy 305 4spd and 4x4.
Nothing but quaker state, synthetic blend and conventional

Same truck new 350
Quaker state conventional, both 5-30. Wrecked truck before engine was broke in enough to use synthetic

My first car was a '47 Ford which I paid $75 for in 1954. I used re-refined 40W which the car consummed at one quart/50 miles. IIRC the oil was less than $.25 per quart.

My first car was a 1981 Firebird with a 3.8L Buick. I always ran Castrol, usually 10W40 or 20W50, because I could eek a 1,000 mile OCI from it. I couldn't seem to do that on any other oil.

The car had a bit of a blow-by problem. After about 1,000 miles, the oil would be so diluted and thinned out with fuel, it wouldn't make oil pressure at idle. When the oil pressure light came on, I changed the oil. A very early OLM system, I suppose.

I once tried Engine Restorer (in the silver can) and it actually made a noticable difference in power. Didn't help with the oil dilution issue, but it would *actually* spin the tires (wll, only when going around a corner in the rain and on wet leaves).

I had a 1993 Grand Cherokee with 318 with worn valve guides I ran the cheapest 20-50 I could find with a can of Lucas oil treatment in it. I found a mess when I tore the engine down for repairs. started running amsoil 10-30 in it until I sold it with 203000 miles on it. Still running great.

The first oil change I did on my 2004 Civic when it had ~4k miles I used Havoline 5w-20 and a Supertech 7317 oil filter. It was the first oil change I ever did.

I ran some cheapo Exxon oil that was in a red bottle and a A/C Delco oil filter on my 71 GMC. No issues ever with oil...

My most interesting car as a teenager was this Mercury gran marq I got after the GMC. It sludged oil bad and had alot of blowby.. It started burning oil real bad one day so i took the valve covers off. They where full of oil! The sludge had clogged the little drain holes on the 302 heads. The oil filled up to the level of where the pushrods where so the valve stems where now under oil..So i just used the dipstick to "snake" the drain holes out and I was good to go.. happened 2 more times until i sold that junk...

thinking back I remember the car never really getting warm.. so maybe a bad T-stat was my main problem.. hmm..

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
1980 Volvo 240 DL, Castrol 20w-50 with an OCD.

Hehe. 1976 Volvo 242 DL. My grandmother bought that car for my father when he graduated from college, and it was just my luck that it was still running twenty years later when I was in high school. I bought it for $500. It ran nothing but Pennzoil 10w-40 while my dad had it, and I used the same the short time I owned it.

I think Volvo's recommended OCI was 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever came first.

IIRC I used Havoline and Pennzoil. Don't remember what weights but am guessing a 40 weight and probably a 10-40.

I don't remember much about my first car, a '58 Olds
"Rocket" 88. I do remember that once you got it up to speed, momentum would take you where you wanted to go. I think the car weighed 2000 lbs and the chrome another 2000 lbs.

As to the oil used. I don't think I ever changed it, just added some when I couldn't see it on the dipstick. I only owned it a year and traded it on a '65 VW bug.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread, maybe some new mebers would like to contribute?

What reminded me of it is a customer at my CT store the other day asking how do you do your own oil change...wanted to start saving $$$ by doing his own. Well, buddy, let me tell you......

87 Olds 98, got it when Grandpa passed, most of it's life, had whatever bulk Castrol variant the local BP Pro-care put in, or the occasional dealer change.
the one time I did it, (sometime summer 99) used PYB 10w30, and an early Pureone. then went to the local VIOC until I Sold it, then back there with my next car, every 3k for 8.5 yrs, sold that, bought neon, took it there twice, doing my own ever since.

The 413 in my '62 Chrysler 300 got 10W40 Chevron Supreme and used an Atlas oil filter... because I worked at Zip Zimmerman's Chevron Station. Also used Chevron Supreme gas... 105 octane, in that potent-but-thirsty 360 hp 413 Wedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back