Post Covid-World work life; changes for you, or back to the same?

My wife is in healthcare and is one who went from a staff job to contract work. With the extra drive time she had I needed to reduce my hours(50+), so I went from being at a dealership most of my adult life to a 40 hour a week manufacturing job.

Not quite a year into me being at that job we lost our childcare so I started staying home with the kids. We’ve tried to find a way for her to go back to a part time staff job and me to go back to work full time but so far have been unsuccessful.

A new Jiffy Lube opened in my town and I interviewed there for assistant manager. The regional manager offered me the job but said I’d have to talk pay with the store manager and that today was his(store manager’s)first day. The store manager instantly starting trying to get me to accept a lower wage than I’d requested, told me there were lots of “opportunities for bonus pay” but could not answer any of my questions related to procedures or general practices of the industry. I told him I was out.

I also applied at a new Discount Tire that was opening. The manager called me because even though they only promote from the inside since I had 15+ years of dealership experience I’d probably be able to move up eventually and he’d like to offer me a part time tire changer position.

I think I’m just done with the automotive industry.

I've been working from home for 4 years now. Oddly enough we all just got Covid this weekend. It spread like wildfire. 5 of us came down with it within 24 hours. This is the first time I have had it. Cold like symptoms. Not terrible. Can't believe how fast this latest variant spreads.

Hopefully we learned something and won't repeat the same mistakes when the next one happens (yeah right).

Nothing changed before, during or after. Still ride my bike to hospital most days. The ride was a lot nicer when everyone was at home though! That's the only thing I miss lol! Now they're reducing every department by 7%.. but still mismanaging money so not sure what they're trying to accomplish. Excessive staff isn't the issue. 17 years next July, want to stay till 20 but that's uncertain. But also make more than really I should so their going to fire me before I leave, and that thought scares them lol!

My 74 mile/day commute went to 0 when I retired in August of 2020 because of Covid. One's views on Covid were and are different depending on age and health conditions. The company I worked for as a production manager decided that each employee should be responsible for how they wanted to deal with it. As a person in my 60s with family that I absolutely could not bring it home to because of high risk I needed to take precautions. Working men generally saw it as fake, a hoax, the flu, whatever and wouldn't respect my wishes to keep their distance or stay out of my section if they didn't need to be there. Had no choice but to retire several years earlier than planned. My mother died in December 2020 of Covid that was thoughtfully provided by an employee of the assisted living facility.

Last edited:
Kept working - different office arrangements - lots of masks …
Oh, many-many meals from styrofoam boxes …
Now the Zoom pandemic lives on 😵‍💫

I have been working from home for over 3 years since Covid. My office was only 7 miles from home, currently my office has relocated to the other side on the county 35 miles away. I do have to travel some not to much. Next year will be my last I will be retiring late next year. Looking forwards to that day in the near futur.

Back to a four hour daily round trip commute three days a week. Guess I can be happy it is not the 4 days a week it was prior. Depending on how the future on site policy works out, will consider an employer change.

I was an “essential worker” aka I’m a machinist, it’s exactly the same as before except everything got more expensive and my pay didn’t increase nearly to the same level.

What industry are you working in ?

I never stopped during the height of the pandemic by working from home. Working from home is no longer an option unless it's permanent, no hybrid, it's either one or the other. BTW, It's not over just like influenza.

I get to work from home 50% of the time. I like the mix of working in the office and home. It does help that my commute is only 4 miles though.

COVID was hell for me eployment wise. Being the everything IT/IT Manager/IT Director/CIO/"what hat do you want me to wear today" for a local healthcare organization.

We had a very aggressive implementation plan for many new technologies, COVID not being the driving factor, but just things we had to get done that we had always wanted to do. COVID hit, we went home (sometimes), but still had to be in the office a lot to do on-site tasks.

Company furloughed a lot of staff and put their staff under me, I became Help Desk manager with no pay increase, but at the time was willing as I was under the guise of "at least I have job and the company is paying me". I had never wanted to be Help Desk manager, I was an infrastructure manager. Then the company "retired" the Director. Then a new Director was put in charge. Had about 3-4x worth of staff turnover. Then in 2021 the majority of the staff left, and the only other senior member on the team was furloughed because they didn't meet the healthcare mandate. Was essentially a team of one with a non-technical director running an entire healthcare organization. Whilst losing my grandfather and my mother being diagnosed with cancer.

2021 was a terrible year, and I know I wasn't a perfect IT Manager, I struggled a lot, and was not supported whatsoever. No one helped me or checked in on me. I ended 2021 with the company not happy how the performance of the department was and executive leadership brining in their own previous IT people from other jobs. This new staff started in the beginning of 2022 as my alleged peer/equal.

Then in 2022, my immediate director left... we didn't always see eye-to-eye but we had an understanding being through a lot of the "weeds" together. Any rate, executive leadership choose to make this new "peer/equal" manager the new director. They told this newer staff member that they offered me the posistion but I declined it... I was never offered the role. I was only told by the senior management that this would be my new boss and it'd be a "wonderful learning opportunity as a mentor". Come to find out later on, this new "peer/equal" never knew I wasn't offered the role.

I started to realize how much I had given, especially during COVID (x10... staying up till 1am figuring out Microsoft Intune, telehealth, SCCM/Endpoint Manager), and how much my health, personal life, sanity and what not was suffering. If any of this seems murky, I am leaving a lot out and making it vague, but it was a terrible combination of being taken advantage of, gaslighting, lying, no compassion and nepotism.

I have been unemployed since August and it is a tough market. I had to get out. I was beyond miserable and needed my sanity. I have a lead that I'm hoping goes somewhere within the next couple weeks to get back working and bringing some $$$ back in.

Last edited:
My company went remote a few months before covid. Revenue has been tepid the entire time upto today. Our sales team sucks. Its only a job for me while I focus on family.

My coworkers and I worked on a hybrid in-office/from home schedule until summer 2022. Everyone is back in the office full time now. My favorite coworker took a 100% remote position as soon as they made us come back to the office. We are still allowed very limited work from home on a case-by-case basis.

Back