Possible basic, stupid question about oil filters but would like to know

Just started it again.

No abnormal sound.

Maybe I should just leave it alone now? Lower the hood and call it a day?
Sometimes that's the best thing you can do. Some people can get carried away and kill something with kindness, or create a problem looking for a solution to a problem they might not have. I'm not saying that was the case here, just bringing out a point. ;)

Legacy. And I am checking the oil level cold before I go out today. I didn't per se "add" because of amount of oil that came out of filter was not that much.

Clogged turbo banjo screens aren't a concern for your motor, so no need to worry there. They're not really a concern for modern turbo Subaru's in general actually.

The 2.5 and 2.0 Subaru motors seem to make a noticeable amount of timing chain noise upon a dry startup (have two in the family now) perhaps that's what you're hearing. You also mentioned that you're new to Subaru's, and maybe you're just experiencing what a cold flat subaru engine sounds like? :)

It's a unique sound and definitely louder than most other designs and I can completely see how people would think they have a lifter tick or piston slap issue as the motor reaches operating temps, but it's almost always perfectly normal. We have a crosstrek, forrester XT and outback 3.6 in the family and they ALL sound like that when cold upon startup and are even inherently a bit louder than other designs when at temp even.

Clogged turbo banjo screens aren't a concern for your motor, so no need to worry there. They're not really a concern for modern turbo Subaru's in general actually.

The 2.5 and 2.0 Subaru motors seem to make a noticeable amount of timing chain noise upon a dry startup (have two in the family now) perhaps that's what you're hearing. You also mentioned that you're new to Subaru's, and maybe you're just experiencing what a cold flat subaru engine sounds like? :)

It's a unique sound and definitely louder than most other designs and I can completely see how people would think they have a lifter tick or piston slap issue as the motor reaches operating temps, but it's almost always perfectly normal. We have a crosstrek, forrester XT and outback 3.6 in the family and they ALL sound like that when cold upon startup and are even inherently a bit louder than other designs when at temp even.

Yeah it sounds like rod knock for like .75 seconds SOMETIMES but it goes away. I only noticed it when it got cold recently. And it still doesn't do it all the time. It is ONLY on initial startup, sometimes.. which is why I just may go out and get a Fram Ultra.

I should also change the oil. Subie, you run 5W-30 in yours?

This is my first Subaru, so. I like the car, it's just really frustrating hearing a "you need a new engine" sound for ANY length of time (piston slap, lifter tick, engines with rod knock make a sound that's unnerving that's faster when they first start. But this could be a lack of lubrication thing.)

So, real quick? My engine doesn't have rod knock. Thanks.

Its driving me crazy because if my engine is fine then IMHO it should not sound like that. Hence, questions about oil filters, ADBVs, oil, etc. The Subaru it is vertical, straight up and down.

So I'm just kind of.. should I start with changing the oil. ? I'm thinking a 0W. And it's still not even cold. 34 Fahrenheit on the Google machine overnight temps, real feel more like 50 before the sun comes up and 60 during the day. Winter feels a lot like Spring now ..

I think I may possibly have an oil clog somewhere. This car did sit for a long time and then go into use. But I don't know if that checks out with reality. It runs fine and is peppy and good MPG and the 4 is peppier than the 6, weight matters . Its that SOUND. Boxer trademark? And no it doesn't do it all the time.. it is the OCD of a BITOGer.

I wonder if an XG3980 will hook up. It is double the size.

So I put on the XG3593A.

As per usual, seems to feel better.

Also picked up some Mobil 1 15W-50.

Now let's see what it does..

What is weird is, when it makes the noise, the At Oil Temp light is on.

So I will give the transmission a Drain and Fill as well.

So I put on the XG3593A.

As per usual, seems to feel better.

Also picked up some Mobil 1 15W-50.

Now let's see what it does..
I would be hesitant about a 15W-50. 15w is roughly 3x thicker than a 5w, and you are worried about dry/cold starts? Doesn't sound like the right direction. Thats going to take longer to get moving.

At what temperature?
92FDA036-F5C0-44DC-8812-BD214DD0CEFC.jpg

That's an appropriateness chart, not a viscosity chart, FWIW.
Also not practical across the spectrum … 0w50? … go find that at Walmart … I recently posted the SDS for Mobil 1 Racing 0w50 … whole bunch of PAO yet not formulated for long range street use …

I threw a Purolator L14460 on it and adjusted the level.
I was asking about your statement saying that a "15W" is roughly 3x thicker than a "5W".

That chart (which has been posted and discussed before) has a few oddities and errors.

It is also in Celsius not Fahrenheit as well.

Back