Quote:
Here is Porsche A40 testing procedure:

This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through:
- 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving,
- 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving,
- 40 cold starts,
- 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack,
- 3.5 hours of “running-in” program
Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter
will be taken into account to grant the approval or not:
- torque curve (internal friction),
- oxidation of the oil,
- Piston cleanliness and ring sticking,
- Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 μm.
- Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible.
- Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.

From here:
http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/746579-oil-labeling-certification-porsche-approved.html

smile.gif

I want one of those oils! Forget SN GF-5, just pretend it doesn't exist or just reserve SN for lawn mowers only.

A40 is nice however I wonder what will be the % of sulphated ash in the oils carrying this spec and how strongly it will influence the life of after-treatment devices.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
A40 is nice however I wonder what will be the % of sulphated ash in the oils carrying this spec and how strongly it will influence the life of after-treatment devices.

M1 0w-40 is 1.3% SA.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr

Porsche has a C30 spec for low-SAPS applications.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Isn't M1 0w40 the factory fill for Porsche?

M1 0w-40 was factory fill started with 1996 Porsches, when Mobil first introduced the product. I think they're still doing it.

Originally Posted By: Mathson
As I recall it was M1 FF 100 0W-40 they use for factory fills.

What exactly is that and how does it differ from regular M1 0w-40?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
bobbydavro, can you point us to some details of the new test?

+1 would love to see the new protocol if that could be provided
smile.gif

I can't share it.

Engine has changed from the M96 normally aspirated to the M9A1 twin turbo direct injection 500hp engine. Its a very challenging test with turbo coking of oil feeds a parameter (autbahn hot shut down to cook the oil)

Just curious, but what is the reasoning behind Porsche not wanting to openly share the details behind the A40 testing protocol? Most other manufacturers are pretty open about what it takes to meet one of their specs. Does Porsche want an oil manufacturer to pay up first before they release this information?

I wasn't able to open the Google Doc. I presume FF stands for Factory Fill. Does the MSDS imply that what Porsche puts in is different than what we buy over the counter?

I have a 2001 Boxster S and it has a sticker on it for Mobil1 0W40. I thought I read that they stopped recommending them but either way I have wondered if the quality has gone down or if the competition has gotten better. I have 3 cars I use it in plus a friend's 1999 ES300 that I feel responsible for. I recommended the car to him and he ended up with an oil pressure light at 150k. I have done 2 cleanings and switched him to Mobil1 0W40 because this engine is known for sludge. No more oil pressure light, so I am thankful for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back