Popped Moog Ball joint boot

I just installed new balljoints on my kia rio and when doing so I pumped to much grease into one and instead of coming out the bottom relief it popped the seam at the top. is this repairable , like can I reseat the seam? this is a new joint but ID rather replace it now then 3 months as the car is up on blocks and apart type thing.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Those greaseable ball joints are a gimmick, outdated, and stupid.

Instead, consider CTR ball joints. They could've even been Kia's OE supplier.
so your suggestion is to replace everything with brand new stuff? I just installed all moog stuff so ID preferer not to spend all that money again

Sounds like the boot ruptured in which your options are to replace the ball joint with a new one, see if just the boot itself is available and replace it or just let it go until dirt and water ruins the joint which I am sure you don't want that option lol. I have heard of people using black RTV to seal up the split but I don't think that's a good option either since, like you said, you got all new parts.

Sounds like the boot ruptured in which your options are to replace the ball joint with a new one, see if just the boot itself is available and replace it or just let it go until dirt and water ruins the joint which I am sure you don't want that option lol. I have heard of people using black RTV to seal up the split but I don't think that's a good option either since, like you said, you got all new parts.
i ordered a new one so i guess I am replacing this twice :(

Yes I wanted to see what you mean by the top of the ball joint.
grease came out between the boot and the base of the ball joint

Attachments

• k500035_1.jpg
    k500035_1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 28
I'm still not clear on what happened. Did the rubber boot rupture? If not, and you can get the end of the boot to go into the position its supposed to be in, then I think you are OK.

I'm still not clear on what happened. Did the rubber boot rupture? If not, and you can get the end of the boot to go into the position its supposed to be in, then I think you are OK.
no nothing ruptured grease came out behind the boot where it seals, I think its still seated just grease came out of that seal

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20230824_163755__01.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20230824_163755__01.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 107
grease came out between the boot and the base of the ball joint
Push up on the boot, if it does not move then grease came out of the boots grease relief which is normal. that area is where the relief is.
Do not blow the boot up like an elephants truck, a few pumps is all that is needed.

Edit: I just saw you picture, wipe it off and pull the zerk to relieve some grease then put it back, that is way over greased.

Back