Pop up car rally ends up with two dead

JHZR2

Staff member

We were just in Wildwood last weekend for the Fireman’s parade.

They have events almost every weekend, and try to be a family friendly place. Granted, these pop up car events can happen anywhere, but this hits close because we often walk for ice cream not far from where this happened. We go to the beach a lot…

Makes me upset that some goofballs caused death and destruction. I’m personally all for car events. The town we live in hosts cruise nights in the summer. It’s enjoyable. Ad hoc events are great too for enthusiasts. But it stinks when someone goes and causes such things to get scrutiny or shut down.

These events are ridiculous, time after time it results in reckless stunt driving, putting innocent people at risk.

It needs to be a proper, isolated event away from public, and private property if they don't have consent to use it. Same goes for packs of rabid young bikers, both motorcycles and in the cites now bicycles too. Nothing good comes from the mob mentality that if in a large enough group, laws no longer apply.

These events are ridiculous, time after time it results in reckless stunt driving, putting innocent people at risk.

It needs to be a proper, isolated event away from public, and private property if they don't have consent to use it. Same goes for packs of rabid young bikers, both motorcycles and in the cites now bicycles too. Nothing good comes from the mob mentality that if in a large enough group, laws no longer apply.
Yes, the free, sanctioned events are good. The issue is when responsible events, like cars and coffee, or when enthusiast forums do get togethers… and those things start getting scrutiny… which is the next step.

So reading your article sounds like the two that died were in a golf cart with no other details how they died.

I have long contended golf carts have no business in the streets - car rally or not.
Yes. I’m not a fan of LSVs really. Supposedly you still need registration, insurance, etc.

But could have just as well been a family of five walking on the sidewalk after getting ice cream. That’s what bothers me most.

I begged my parents to take my brother and I to Wildwood in the late 80's. My parents lasted less than a few hours before we left for Colts Neck, because we have family there. Kelly's Irish Pub did make a killer meatball sub though :rolleyes: . Only reason I wanted to go to Wildwood was my classmate used to go there on summer vacation and always talked about it. My parents didn't even give it a chance :( .

Last edited:
I begged my parents to take my brother and I to Wildwood in the late 80's. My parents lasted less than a few hours before we left for Colts Neck, because we have family there. Kelly's Irish Pub did make a killer meatball sub though :rolleyes: . Only reason I wanted to go to Wildwood was my classmate used to go there on summer vacation and always talked about it. My parents didn't even give it a chance :( .
80s/90s, yeah. Growing up in north Jersey, it was where kids went after the prom to drink. That was going away even when my time rolled around in the late 90s.

We primarily go to wildwood crest and love it. Quiet, small town feel, etc. it’s close to Cape May which we also love. It is more of a hike, but not bad. We used to go to Spring Lake but I realized I can’t afford there unless I play the lottery with every last dollar and win. Growing up we went to seaside park and island beach a lot. The seaside heights boardwalk wasn’t as trashy back then…

H2Oi has always been a gagglefest of immature "car folks". There's been talks about Ocean City shutting it down for years but I don't know what the outcome of it was. They do stuff like this and then wonder why nobody wants them around or why car enthusiasts are looked down upon now. Now thanks to them, I bet you cops are going to scrutinize modified cars alot more in Jersey.

So reading your article sounds like the two that died were in a golf cart with no other details how they died.

I have long contended golf carts have no business in the streets - car rally or not.

Infinity crashed into a civic then into two pedestrians on the sidewalk. The golf cart was a similar but separate incident.

Authorities say they were called to Burk and Atlantic Avenues around 9:36 p.m. for a multi-car crash involving pedestrians. White, who was driving a 2003 Infinity, is accused of hitting a 2014 Honda Civic and then hitting two pedestrians. Police say he attempted to flee but was soon caught.

One of the pedestrians, Lindsay Weakland, 18, of Carlisle, Pa., was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger in the Civic, Timothy Ogden, 34, of Clayton, was taken to Atlantic City Medical Center but later died from his injuries, police said.

Chicago is having an epidemic of this crud. Prior to CV19, "takeovers" were a rare thing but this summer brought a lot of this garbage out onto public roads and especially the highways; blocking traffic and sort. It was never this bad years ago when cops were cool with "unsanctioned" car meets in big parking lots. Now they don't allow any meets and businesses will kick folks out of the parking lot because they don't want to deal with the legality and ensuing harassments that follow. On the plus side, these takeovers tend to happen where people have less patience and will run straight through the "takeover" participants.

Last edited:
H2Oi has always been a gagglefest of immature "car folks". There's been talks about Ocean City shutting it down for years but I don't know what the outcome of it was. They do stuff like this and then wonder why nobody wants them around or why car enthusiasts are looked down upon now. Now thanks to them, I bet you cops are going to scrutinize modified cars alot more in Jersey.

Infinity crashed into a civic then into two pedestrians on the sidewalk. The golf cart was a similar but separate incident.
I stand corrected. The article was confusing to me. Sounds like a poop show to be sure.

Reactions: Pew
Back