Poll: Non-GDI engine, which oil first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have several choices, and it's strictly just to hear some opinions. I have two older vehicles:

2006 Honda Odyssey, 170k, roughly 20k a year and 60/40 highway split
2001 Subaru Forester, 220k, roughly 3k a year now as a backup vehicle, 80/20 highway

Assume the quantity is unlimited in that I have at least two OCI of all of these. I have on the shelf:
Ravenol DXG 5W30 D1G1
Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40
Motul 4100 Power 15W50
Delo XLE 10W30
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20

The Odyssey currently has Delo XLE in it, does not use any oil regardless of what oil I've used in the past. When I drive it's probably 90/10 highway, when my wife drives it's probably 85/15 city. I know it calls for 5W20, and it has a VCM disabler so no funny business with cylinder deactivation. Usually is loaded with 500-800 pounds of people and/or cargo when driven.

Forester can use some oil when driven at 70+ for over an hour, and currently has Penz Plat Euro L 5W30 in it. It's got a little piston slap when cold with every oil, but goes away when warm. This is occasionally loaned to the stepsons when their vehicles are dead in the water, and I drive it frequently in the winter when there is fresh snow on the ground. Obviously will not use the PUP in this as it is below the minimum viscosity for an EJ25.

So, what oil would you put in each vehicle next, and why? TIA
smile.gif

0W-40 M1 or Castrol A great long lasting oil good from -30*f to over 100*f

for Ody:
Ravenol DXG 5W30 D1G1
Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4
Delo XLE 10W30

for Subie:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40
Motul 4100 Power 15W50 + Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 (for a 10W35???)
just in case the W40 makes it eat less oil at 70+....
If not, you will have a good quality cleaning happening.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
mix all the oils together - that way you can get the benefits of all the brands at the same time.

I don't know how to use Caterham's calculator so i just did average and this would get him a 6.66W33.33
(I'm probably wrong, but I just thought the numbers look funny)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
mix all the oils together - that way you can get the benefits of all the brands at the same time.

Or mixing them all together could give you a mix that simply has all the negative features of each oil. You just don't know when you start mixing things of different chemistries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back