Look what UPS brought today! More Ravenol!

According to the PQIA analysis, it has 93ppm of TN moly.

Since we do not know the particular PAOs and esters in the base, it should not referred to as a "Redline Clone".
The Ravenol comes from Germany. Redline is from Conoco Phillips.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I think it is important to the note that I've never heard of a 6.4L having the same issues, despite apparently still having a SADI core camshaft, the same lifters, same MDS system and probably higher valve spring pressures
21.gif
I've asked at my dealer and they've never done cam and lifters on a 6.4L, period, nor have they heard of the same failure in that engine. They've done 5.7's however.

It would seem that the difference is either the camshaft or the 0w-40, as those are the only two main differences other than valve spring pressure, which if anything, would be higher on the 6.4L.

Overkill, I agree, there MAY be other things afoot between the 6.4 and 5.7. However, not ever having ordered an SADI core cam, I would still think there would be the differences between induction hardening and through hardening like there are on billet cores. This may be the difference. The other big difference would be in the shape of the ramps... the ramps may be much more "roller-friendly" than the MDS lobes. Spring pressures may also be significantly different. There are a lot of things in play when it comes to a cam design that lives, and one that doesn't. I agree there is something still being missed.

Keep in mind, the SRT 6.4L has MDS when it is backed by an automatic, and it is the same MDS as used on the 5.7.

Originally Posted by burla
The individual that had tried 0w40 and 10w40 Redline among many other oils, trying to get his tick, has the 6.4. There have been a few 6.4 with tick, and hemi tick pre dates mds. It has been something going on for many decades. If there is an easy mechanical fix, none of the ram guys or hemi guys know it that I've heard of. Our hope is still that there is an answer as such so we can forget about oil all together. The conversation came up today where Ravenol apparently has a redline clone esters and pao, but not sure of the moly level.

Truck 6.4L or SRT 6.4L? They are two different engines. IIRC, the truck 6.4L has the same camshaft as the 5.7L FWIW. I've heard of a few SRT 6.4L's ticking, but I believe that was due to rockers not lifters. I've never, as I noted, heard of one having the camshaft/lifter issue that has occurred on the 5.7L, and neither has my dealer, FWIW.

Just an update, I received my Ravenol today and it is certified Dexos 1 gen2, packaged 3-29-18. Blauparts gets a thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'm going to try my next jug of DXG in "my" new Outback with an XG3593A.

I'll probably need an adult beverage after watching a Youtube video on how to change the cabin filter though... you literally have to disassemble the entire passenger side of the dash!!
frown.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by bbhero
Fancy fancy oil....

And it is really stout. The PQIA test results showed a NOACK of 8 percent... Very impressive.

Amsoil also has a Noack of 8% and lower depending on which oil you use from their signature series line. Just FWIW.

And Redline has a noack of 6 and is real synthetic oil, FWIW
Define "real synthetic oil." From the SDS, it's a mixture of Group III and Group IV oils, with Group III predominating.

Back