Police beat up an Indian man

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a quote from the comments below the story:

"He wouldn't take his hands out of his pockets and he pulled away. The cops did everything right.
I guess if he had a gun in his pocket the cops should have waited to be shot.
Put yourselves in the cops shoes."

I don't know the whole story but there are 2 sides to it....maybe LEO need to speak every language in the world to avoid these type mishaps??

so police responded thinking he was a perv or a burglar and he speaks no english, puts his hands in his pockets and tries to leave?

That's tough. Would have to see video

yeah it's obvious the guy doesn't speak English. he got a beating. remember the old man who got beat up for driving a dealer tag video. slowly becoming a Police state here.

Quote:
Sherrod claims Patel was accosted because of his brown skin

A ridiculous claim and an assumption without all the facts.

I hope the police officer sues the department for wrongful termination.

I do my job and get fired? Another case of political correctness ruining our society.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

I do my job and get fired? Another case of political correctness ruining our society.

Agreed!

Why is it everyday I read a different story about the police overreacting?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

I agree. If you're a country and can't speak the language you need to be careful. Just walking up people's drive ways is asking for trouble.

Originally Posted By: pbm

"He wouldn't take his hands out of his pockets and he pulled away. The cops did everything right.

I don't know the whole story but there are 2 sides to it....maybe LEO need to speak every language in the world to avoid these type mishaps??

Our first pro-cop post.

If he didn't understand what they were saying. And was afraid. Strange men, grabbing at him. ?

The operating thing of this story appears to be that he spoke very little or no English.

If I went to a foreign country and a man in a uniform was pointing a gun and yelling at me the last thing I would do would be to put my hands in my pocket! This is ridiculous.

Stories about cops overreacting? To me this is the medias play on it.....they could just as easily played the story about another man not responding appropriately to authority. In every story I have seen recently I can almost guarantee the outcome would have been different due to my response to the officers.

Silly me.

I thought the police worked for the public. I suppose, like everything else involving government at all levels, that's become an outdated notion.

Maybe, for a change, the police should imagine themselves in the shoes of Joe Public.

Originally Posted By: Win

Silly me.

I thought the police worked for the public. I suppose, like everything else involving government at all levels, that's become an outdated notion.

Maybe, for a change, the police should imagine themselves in the shoes of Joe Public.

Or maybe its smarter for the person with a gun pointed at them to put themselves in the position of the officer that has to deal with the lowest common denominator of the public everyday. My point is officers do not deal with people like most of us on this board. They are dealing with people that probably do have a gun in their pocket and therefor their mindset is such and people should be aware of that. Now if that man would have put his hands in the air and just stood still like someone who is non threatening and the officer still gave him a beat down I would say this officer deserves to lose his job but the man didn't and so the officer did.

Last edited:
I watched the video. I have lots of police experience. In fact I was kinda the "go to guy" in physical encounters (hey bubbatime, we need you at Mr. Smith's house. He is acting froggy again)

I know when to go hands on and also know when it's not required. A lot of cops are timed and don't go hands on quick enough, and things spiral out of control when they fail to take action. That being said, what I saw in the video was completely uncalled for. Assess the situation (non English speaking, possibly confused) and go from there. Cop is an idiot and should be fired.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why is it everyday I read a different story about the police overreacting?

Because it sells papers, it sells airtime, it makes people click.

You will rarely see the good things that cops do. You'll never see the millions of daily interactions between police and the public in which the police are polite, professional, and doing their best for the public. That doesn't sell anything.

So you'll never see 99.999% of police conduct, their good conduct, their professionalism, on the news. Once every few days, a cop makes a mistake and it's national news. Millions of police actions every day, and out of those millions, one, maybe two a week make the news...and all the talking heads cluck and mutter about "police state" and "racial bias" and "excessive force" in a complete and utter disservice to all the men and women who are serving the public day in and day out.

What an impossible standard.

English speaker or not, I would like to think anyone could identify a LEO and know how to act responsibly.

Maybe they do things different where he is from, but ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I watched the video. I have lots of police experience. In fact I was kinda the "go to guy" in physical encounters (hey bubbatime, we need you at Mr. Smith's house. He is acting froggy again)

I know when to go hands on and also know when it's not required. A lot of cops are timed and don't go hands on quick enough, and things spiral out of control when they fail to take action. That being said, what I saw in the video was completely uncalled for. Assess the situation (non English speaking, possibly confused) and go from there. Cop is an idiot and should be fired.

I take it you also have lots of police administration experience as well to substantiate your comments of the officer being an idiot and should be fired.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
English speaker or not, I would like to think anyone could identify a LEO and know how to act responsibly.

Maybe they do things different where he is from, but ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Careful, this sounds like we're ascribing some blame to the victim. If an officer of the law were giving me commands in a language that I didn't understand, it would be difficult to comply. Did he say, "show me your hands?" In which case, I move, or did he say' "don't move"?

This guy was walking along the sidewalk with his cellphone, eyeballing the neighborhood, as I would probably do were I in his situation....I'm an observant person, I survey my surroundings....

That's suspicious enough to call the cops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back