PM for 5.3 with AFM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

2011 Silverado in the signature.

Some internet snooping shows a number of posts relating to oil consumption on the Vortec 5.3's equipped with Active Fuel Management, seems to hit in the 30K to 60K mile range. I bought this truck as a GM Certified vehicle with 20K miles on the clock and am in the process of seeing if the VIN will bring up any GM-dealer maintenance records.

At this point the truck uses no oil, at least in the couple of thousand miles I've put on it. I understand the reasons behind the oil consumption and what remedies have been undertaken by owners/GM.

What I'm wondering is if additional preventive maintenance may be prudent, both now and at maybe 20K intervals going forward. In another post I described my game plan of putting 3K miles on this oil, doing a UOA, then going to PP or PYB for fairly short (4000-4500) OCI's. But what I'm asking is if you would suggest a dose of Auto-RX, Kreen, MMO or similar?

I'm not panicked about this, I just want to see what you would suggest (if anything). Maybe just using a quality oil at shorter OIC's is enough, I don't know.

The shorter OCI is a must. 4500 miles is a max. 4000 is much better.

If it's using no oil, you're probably ok. May I also suggest only top tier fuels? A few cents more a gallon, and worth every penny.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
The shorter OCI is a must. 4500 miles is a max. 4000 is much better.

I agree. I'm not worried about whether or not I spent $xx more on oil over the life of the truck, I think its cheap insurance. I will admit that my comfort level is for shorter OCI's in general.

I already buy at company stations so there's no real change needed there. I also use MMO on occasion in the fuel.

In re-thinking additives, I think I am more inclined to not use anything at this point, just to simply use good oil/filters at conservative OCI's.

Our 2010 Tahoe (42k mileage) hasn't consumed any oil in the 1500 miles or so that we have put on it, but I gave it a "shock dose" of fuel treatment the first time I refilled the tank...it must have done something, because it visibly turned the exhaust tip a sooty black. I will probably drop the dealer-oil at 5k and collect a sample for analysis.

My whole theory on this issue is it is more important for 5.3 owners to properly break in the engine and actually drive like a IC engine should be run. A couple WOT runs during a OCI after the engine and fluids have reached operating temperatures is actually beneficial that I doubt owner may not do a lot.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
My whole theory on this issue is it is more important for 5.3 owners to properly break in the engine and actually drive like a IC engine should be run. A couple WOT runs during a OCI after the engine and fluids have reached operating temperatures is actually beneficial that I doubt owner may not do a lot.

I don't have info on how the engine was initially broken in and I've never had an issue with the occasional WOT run. What I was initially asking about was if any oil additives may be of benefit, but at this point after re-thinking a bit, I'm just going to use good quality oil and more frequent changes. Will see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back