2015 GMC Canyon 3.6 Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

My 2015 Canyon has been consuming ~1qt every 5,000 miles since it was a year old. I ran across an old post I started on the Colorado Forums that I had forgotten about, until last night when I checked the oil in the truck and found it to be alarmingly low again (on the dipstick, anyway). This truck seems to have a very narrow, deep pan, as 1 quart of oil makes the difference between showing completely full on the dipstick, and barely registering on the tip. It seems some folks on the Colorado forum experience no consumption with these engines, while one guy is experiencing double the oil loss I am. Consumption for me has been erratic, as sometimes it stayed full, while other times, I didn't make it through the OCI before having to add.

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads/3-6-oil-consumption-your-experiences.307106/

I've used M1 or PP 5W-30 and Delco filters since 500 miles, and the truck has lived a pretty cushy life for a truck, now at 48,000 miles. From my original post in 2016 until now, the consumption hasn't gone up, but I'm not comfortable with an engine using enough oil during the OCI to not be registering on the dipstick by the time it's ready for an oil change. I added a hair over 3/4 quart to it last night to bring it back up to full, at 3500 miles into the OCI.

Can you guys suggest an oil that may slow this down? Stay with syn and move up to 5W-40? Go with heavier semi-syn or conventional?

I am still under the power train warranty, but I know if I take it to the dealer, GM is going to put me through the whole 'monitored OCI' to determine consumption, and then tell me it's within the acceptable range. I am, however, considering having the PCV looked at, although since it's been doing this since 16,000 miles, it sounds more like a design issue, vs a malfunction. Guys on the Colorado forum highly recommend a catch can for the '15 - '16, and are telling me to check the intake tract for oil. I would have done that already if GM hadn't integrated the intake tube into the engine cover. It's a bear to get off.

Right now, I'm looking for a consumption aide (besides additives, which I rather not use). Suggestions?

One qt every 5k isnt bad. But, I would always start a cup low . Never top off.

My 4.3 w/t had an open PCV line with no pill and the oil mist went in there for sure.

I would try Quaker state Red bottle High Mileage 5w30.

IME, GM engines dont like 40 grade and I'm sure it wont help.

Last edited:
GM's acceptable limit is 1 quart in 2,500 miles. Anything better is really very normal. Some oil gets on the cylinder walls and naturally gets burned with the gasoline. No problem at all here.
In Texas, warm climate, you could easily use the latest Corvette oil, Mobil1 ESP 0w40 dexos2 oil. A little expensive but if you want the best dexos approved oil, that one is it. Low saps will help keep the valve stems from getting deposits on them too. Otherwise, any dexos1 5w30 from walmart will do almost as good.
Walmart does have the Corvette oil though it must say ESP on the label, not the high-saps euro one.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4666899/New_M1_0W-40_ESP_dexos2

Might want to try Valvoline Synthetic High Mileage with Maxlife. On my mother's Impala 3.6 DI it never used oil with Pennzoil Gold blend but on PP it will drop a quart before 5k. It now has 140k.

This is my first go-round with a newer car that uses oil, so I'm a little taken aback when I pull the dipstick mid-OCI and see it appear to be nearly empty. In the big scheme, 1 qt isn't a lot, but just unexpected from an engine that's babied the way this one is.

My turbocharged Mustang, which is driven like a sports car a lot of the time, is the one I'd expect to use some oil. It uses none that I can detect with the dipstick. GMs bright idea about low-tension rings is likely to blame here. I'll start shopping 5W-40 oils & see if it makes any difference.

In itself , 1 qt. in 5,000 miles is a non issue . When I was a teen , 1 qt. in 1000 miles was considered not too bad .

Get yourself a BRIGHT flashlight and do a GOOD , inspection , for leaks .

And , yes , change the PCV valve .

Best of luck to you , :)

Direct injection? If so I'd say you're doing pretty well considering it's a GM engine. I have a 5.3 Silverado with direct injection and I use around 3/4's of a quart in 5,000 miles. Maybe a little more. 40,000 miles, been doing it since day 1. I work in the industry and every single 5.3 engine I see come in for their 6,000 mile interval, is at or bellow the "low" mark on the dipstick.

I don't see many Colorados, we only service maybe two of them...I'll have to take a look the next time they come in...although if it's the same motor that's in the Acadia, then yeah, they do use oil too.

Sad state of affairs. I guess I should just pray that having used PP / M1 on a 5,000 mile OCI will keep me out of the group that's having timing chain issues.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

What are the negative symptoms to look for? I've been using 0W40 (Mobil 1 FS and Castrol Edge) in my 3.6 Caddy for years. The Castrol seems to be the best for oil consumption.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

What are the negative symptoms to look for? I've been using 0W40 (Mobil 1 FS and Castrol Edge) in my 3.6 Caddy for years. The Castrol seems to be the best for oil consumption.

Well that's a marginal 30 grade.

But, Im not familair with the 3.6.

Ill take back my comment
as technology has moved on .with the new DOHC V6 engines

Back with roller cams /pushrod OHV design It was linked to lifter bleed down rate.

You would loose low end torque and snap with a 10w40.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
I think the next oil will be Castrol Edge 5W-40.

If you go the high-SAPS route, ignoring DI valve stem deposits, you might as well get the cheaper cost Castrol Edge 0w40 5 quart jugs at walmart. Maybe Lubrizol is wrong about the extra ash making deposits worse. What do they know? Or GM know, since they want low saps oil for their DI Corvettes these days. You're saying they're all wrong.

Not really concerned about the valve stems. If what they say about this engine is true, with no real oil separator in place in the PCV stream, they're trashed at this point anyway (48,000 miles). My goal is to try something to slow consumption to the point I can trust it to make it through the OCI without having to add oil.

I can't find HTHS data on both, so I'm going with the assumption that Castrol 5W-40 might be marginally higher viscosity at temp than 0W-40. If there is no HTHS difference, I'll close my eyes and pick. The price difference between the two at Wal-mart is 2.49 per 5-quart jug. ESP, on the other hand, is pricier than I'm planning to go for this situation.

Calm down. I'm not saying anyone is wrong. Frankly, I haven't even considered what GM has to say about it, because truth be told, they created this mess....why would I listen to a word they say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back