Plumbing ID please

A couple of hose bibbs have seen better days and need service. Going to try to rebuild them first, but preparing for the possibility of replacement.

In aiming for something better than the big box stuff, the Arrowhead Brass units at Ace seem to be nice, and not much more expensive. Do wonder if they're still made in USA though, since that stamp has been replaced by "ABP" which I suppose could represent their name.

Also stopped by an irrigation supply warehouse, and the ones they stocked didn't seem any better, and didn't have COO markings either.

But first, must determine the connections in question:

First one is obviously male thread.

However, the second one I'm not sure about. Is is female, or a compression fitting? The house does have copper piping.

TIA.

Attachments

• bibbmale.jpg
    bibbmale.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 42
  • bibbfemaieorcomp.jpg
    bibbfemaieorcomp.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
At the bottom of the Arrowhead Brass homepage a statement claims " made in the U.S. hose bibs".

Those old valves like yours tend to be very rebuild-able. Replace the shutoff washer and use string packing to seal the valve stem.

The one on the right "looks" like it is a female thread, but tough to tell from the pic.

Last edited:
I also think that the one on the right looks like a female thread. I would take a look at some hose bibbs that use ball valves. Ball valves have always had less problems for me. Arrowhead Brass makes some.

I wouldn't waste time rebuilding hose valves. Buy 1/4 turn ball valves and don't worry about it again.

Back