Which method would you choose to plumb this compressor filter?

I did not install it yet, you are correct. If I’m remembering correctly you are the one that suggested the Walker. Yes, originally I did not want water in the tank which is why the Walker folks said that between the intercooler and tank would be a great place for the filter as long as the pipe between them didn’t get warm.

Many said that it would be better after the tank and to just let water go into the tank. It’s a bit of an OCD thing, I just imagine rust eating a hole through the tank in like a years time. I know that’s ridiculous, there are tanks that had water in them that are 50 years old. I called Walker again, I was told that the original spot would work as long as the pipe truly didn’t get warm, but that it would indeed work better after the tank. In fact he said that if it was him that he would put it at the end of the 20 foot run of pipe, right before the Ingersoll Rand filter.

The only thing is, I haven’t really seen any water there. I have the drop down pipe right there and whenever I open that ball valve I’ve had air that maybe makes my hand feel damp, but that was only after the 23 minute torture test. Normal use, then no. So wouldn’t that filter be wasted there? It’s kind of an expensive filter to have it do nothing lol. I’ll find a place for it after the tank though.

I’d really like to (and I will do it) do what was suggested using rubber hose to come out of the intercooler and into a water collector mounted on the wall and then through another rubber hose into the tank.

Have any thoughts on this, what you would do? Any suggestions for a water collector to go between the intercooler and the tank?

Dan
I local shop here that I spend a lot of time in has a compressor that is at least 40 years old. It is mounted to a frame on the wall about 10’ off the floor. There’s a moisture drop with a small valve and piece of black nylon air brake tubing slipped out under the siding. The valves to turn off the shop air are by the drain valve. We just drain it every evening when the shop air is turned off on the way out the door. The tank is easily going to out last the pump. I think your concerns are founded but almost all risk is mitigated by a semi regular draining of moisture. On this setup you can hear the tone of the air change when it pushes all of the moisture out of the tubing.

I wouldn’t have done nothing and let the tank and tank drain do it’s job. Downstream after the IR filter is the business end to be addressed for absolute dry air to spray gun or tool of course it is almost a mute point unless you are spraying in a controlled environment is what you need to be addressed. One of the simplest was unless you are going to run refrigeration is a unit such as this.
https://www.ecompressedair.com/air-...ct30-p/ct30-point-of-use-desiccant-dryer.aspx

I local shop here that I spend a lot of time in has a compressor that is at least 40 years old. It is mounted to a frame on the wall about 10’ off the floor. There’s a moisture drop with a small valve and piece of black nylon air brake tubing slipped out under the siding. The valves to turn off the shop air are by the drain valve. We just drain it every evening when the shop air is turned off on the way out the door. The tank is easily going to out last the pump. I think your concerns are founded but almost all risk is mitigated by a semi regular draining of moisture. On this setup you can hear the tone of the air change when it pushes all of the moisture out of the tubing.
I know that with how I baby this setup that the tank will outlast me. In my mind the best scenario would be preventing water from getting to the tank, I figure if water isn’t sitting at the bottom of the tank it won’t evaporate into the air, meaning dryer air. For now I’ll set the valve at the bottom of the tank to open every day, at like 2 am.

Dan

Last edited:
I wouldn’t have done nothing and let the tank and tank drain do it’s job. Downstream after the IR filter is the business end to be addressed for absolute dry air to spray gun or tool of course it is almost a mute point unless you are spraying in a controlled environment is what you need to be addressed. One of the simplest was unless you are going to run refrigeration is a unit such as this.
https://www.ecompressedair.com/air-...ct30-p/ct30-point-of-use-desiccant-dryer.aspx
Okay thank you. I think what I’m going to do it first take the filter out of the IR case just to see it’s seeing any moisture. But I’ll put the Walker just before the IR to collect moisture before the air goes to the IR. Thank you for the link on the desiccant filter. I may look into DIY options to save a bit of money lol, but that is definitely an option if I can drop that kind of money.

Out of curiosity, if I were to put a water collector between the intercooler and tank what would be a good option for that? It would just be one more thing in line to remove water so it wouldn’t hurt lol. I hope and am in the works of setting up a clean room for spraying.

Dan

Okay thank you. I think what I’m going to do it first take the filter out of the IR case just to see it’s seeing any moisture. But I’ll put the Walker just before the IR to collect moisture before the air goes to the IR. Thank you for the link on the desiccant filter. I may look into DIY options to save a bit of money lol, but that is definitely an option if I can drop that kind of money.

Out of curiosity, if I were to put a water collector between the intercooler and tank what would be a good option for that? It would just be one more thing in line to remove water so it wouldn’t hurt lol. I hope and am in the works of setting up a clean room for spraying.

Dan
You have some believe you will remove more water it just won’t the filter wouldn’t have technically either it just keep the majority from going into the tank.

What wood finish are you attempting to spray??

I’m sorry, what did you mean exactly in the first paragraph?

Basically I’ll be spraying powder coat, automotive paints/clear coat, and an array of wood finishes like polyurethane, lacquers, etc.

Dan

Dan
This is typical home or small shop DIY setup is without a refrigerated dryer
http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Files/YTCJYTCK/$File/pipe-layout.pdf?OpenElement

Back