Plumbing house repipe, copper or PEX?

I have a 10 year old house that is builder grade and I am certain the subs were all the cheapest available. Zero issues with the Pex.

The joints I can see are plastic - with the compression type ring. I need to figure out how to repair these before i need to. Anyone know a a good tutorial?
The two videos shown below are good starters for the novice homeowner working with PEX.

I would stay away from the Zurn crimps. They tend to break near the waterheater. Those crimps are of thin material but are wide. Pex has a high expansion rate and will flex the crimp back and forth with temp change. The Watts crimps seem to not have this issue. ..as in the middle pic above.

A while back there were valves and fittings for pex that were shiny silver color. Way too much zink in them and would corrode quickly. Haven't seen them lately..

The pex tubing can handle higher flow rates than copper but the small diameter brass fittings will wear out if overflowed. Ive been using the polymer fittings without issues.

I call it waterwire and try to run it as I would wire with a minimum of fittings.

Oh.. I have been runnin into plastic expansion collars cracking lately..

The two videos shown below are good starters for the novice homeowner working with PEX.

Thanks!

First I need to figure out if I have PexA or Pex B. Not much of it sticking out of the wall.

IMG_1687.jpeg

Had our current custom home built in 2014 and went with Pex. This was all new to me being originally from the east coast and used to copper pipes. I Could not be happier with it - a few rare texas freezes didn't effect the pex after thawing out and the water taste isn't objectionable.

Not that it matters, but PEX A is the standard in much of Western Europe. Regulations are monster big in Western Europe, so I suspect material leaching into the water with PEX A is an "urban legend" and not accurate.

The only issue I am aware of with PEX A is if PEX A is exposed to certain lighting for decades, there is a concern that PEX a tubing may start to degrade. An example of this would be an Airbus factory in France, where PEX A is exposed in the celling, and very bright lighting 24x7.

The reason PEX A is not as common in the US is simply the expansion tool. The PEX A expansion tool costs about $500 USD. I have two of them, both Milwaukee brand, when 12V and one 18V. Of note, a seven-year-old can connect PEX A pipe flawlessly- it is super easy to work with, and I have never ever seen a PEX A connection even think about leaking.
I’m re-piping my place soon and would love to use Pex A but the expansion tool is what will probably drive me to B instead.

I looked and can’t even find any places that rent them anywhere near me. I could feasibly buy and resell when done.

No matter what I do, I’ll be better off, as I am replacing Poly B.

I’m re-piping my place soon and would love to use Pex A but the expansion tool is what will probably drive me to B instead.

I looked and can’t even find any places that rent them anywhere near me. I could feasibly buy and resell when done.

No matter what I do, I’ll be better off, as I am replacing Poly B.
You can find the tool on sale at Home Depot. I purchased my two PEX A tools on Ebay, from "one time use" homeowners. PEX A is a dream to work with- I think the price of the tool is worth the spend..... well worth it....

I installed for my Daughter a water softener on Christmas day at her home in Colorado using PEX A. Shutting off water and doing a "main line" plumbing job on Christmas day with family present is a risk I would never take- except the job was PEX A, so easy to use, and a seven year old can do the connections.

Years ago I first learned about PEX A from a plumbing contractor doing 10 million dollar plus single family homes in Aspen and Vail. He said all the top rocky mountain homes were plumbed with PEX A only- the stuff is that good he stated. He said he did Tom Cruise's rocky mountain home with PEX A.....

Why do you think copper is better than PEX, especially PEX-A?
A few notes on copper for residential plumbing. There are two common types of copper for residential plumbing, M and L.

Type L is medium weight and used most often for water lines in homes. Type M is thinner and is used underground or for light domestic water lines if local codes allow.
Many contractors use M to save money/ increase profits. Chemicals and even some minerals can and often do eat away at copper pipe, and if M was used, even more risk. Pin hole leaks can be common at random in copper pipe- ask me how I know.
Copper pipe is used to keep Union plumbers well employed, not because copper offers holistic benefits over PEX.
Chemical corrosion is probably the most common cause of pinhole leaks in copper pipes. This happens when water contains chemicals that eat away at the copper, causing it to deteriorate and form holes. The most common culprit is chlorine, which is added to public water supplies to kill bacteria.

Eight-page PDF which provides some insight on copper pipe corrosion:

al0gv0gx9jld.jpg

Last edited:
You can find the tool on sale at Home Depot. I purchased my two PEX A tools on Ebay, from "one time use" homeowners. PEX A is a dream to work with- I think the price of the tool is worth the spend..... well worth it....

I installed for my Daughter a water softener on Christmas day at her home in Colorado using PEX A. Shutting off water and doing a "main line" plumbing job on Christmas day with family present is a risk I would never take- except the job was PEX A, so easy to use, and a seven year old can do the connections.

Years ago I first learned about PEX A from a plumbing contractor doing 10 million dollar plus single family homes in Aspen and Vail. He said all the top rocky mountain homes were plumbed with PEX A only- the stuff is that good he stated. He said he did Tom Cruise's rocky mountain home with PEX A.....
I’ll keep looking. I’m on a budget and it’s not a really big job but I might hold off for a month and just buy the tool.

What were you connecting to, and I assume there are adapters from anything to anything?

I understand why plumbers only use PEX now because it's cheaper and very much faster. The one thing I have against PEX is the bulk of the fittings. If you need to hide pipes in bathrooms for example then copper particularly with end feed fittings is much slimmer.

I wonder what happens to all the old copper pipe when a plumber replaces it with PEX ?

I understand why plumbers only use PEX now because it's cheaper and very much faster. The one thing I have against PEX is the bulk of the fittings. If you need to hide pipes in bathrooms for example then copper particularly with end feed fittings is much slimmer.

I wonder what happens to all the old copper pipe when a plumber replaces it with PEX ?
In the U.S., the plumber recycles the old reclaimed copper which currently brings about $3.50 /lb.

I'm finding opinions are all over the place. I know people on here have a lot of different skills and experiences, so looking for thoughts from non-JoeSchmo homeowner.

I have a 21 year old ranch house with CPVC water lines and open basement. I'm thinking of doing a whole house repipe before having a problem, since at this age it is probably a ticking bomb. I am on a well with hardness of 35 grains (so very hard).

My concerns with PEX: plastic taste in water, chemicals from plastic in water.

Concerns with copper: ProPress leaking. Issues with the copper due to the hard water.

Also - Right now I have a recirc line but no pump. Does a recirc line without a pump even doing anything? I am happy with the hot water availability right now on the far end (kitchen) of the house.

Install would be by a general contractor with 35 years experience who is also doing our bathroom remodel and framing in a bedroom in the basement. He just did my parent's bathroom remodel and did a great job. He has all the specialty tools needed.

Cost not a major issue, but the ProPress copper is $4300. I haven't gotten a quote for PEX yet, but assuming about half or 60%. He won't do solder due to the hassle. I have a quote from a plumber for soldered joints with copper for $5300.

Thoughts on if my concerns are actually worth worrying about? Looking for more than "do <this or that> just because."
My parents had some kitchen line redone and my dad and i repaired some sections in the basement. Alot of copper lines now are much thinner than the past so you will want a heavier gauge. Pex shouldn't have any plastic taste after a little bit of use.

Why is it that you think the CPVC is needing replacing? I think it has a lifespan of 50-75 yrs.

I have seen problems with CPVC after about 15-20 years. It can become very brittle and easily break especially on hot water lines. I see a future class action lawsuit brewing here.

CPVC can withstand hotter temps than PEX and has zero chemical leaching associated with it.

If I had to replace copper, I would use pex because it can be installed wit no fittings other than the fixture and it gives me the illusion of higher psi but I don't know that as a fact.

Maybe different parts of the country have water issues that will deteriorate cpvc but houses in FL either have cpvc or pex for the most part, at any price point.
TH

CPVC is the best type of material for your application. It is the most resistant to adverse water conditions. If there is no issue, then there is no issue. My house was built in 86, with CPVC, on a well with mildly acidic water and a similar hardness.

Back