Please review these battery readings.

Trolling motor battery, Group 24, used for a 55# trolling motor on a 14' alumacraft.

Yes, it is 5 years old, well maintained, always charged after a trip, usually with a 0.75a Battery Tender Jr. Yes, I realize that's a bit weak, but usually in a few days she is back to 100%.

Using a Pro-logix PL2320 that has served me well.

Came home from a very windy day. Hooked her up as soon as we got home to the Pro-Logix.

8/1, 9pm, 0%, 11.44v (multimeter reading). Charging started at 10amps

8/2, 8am, 100%, 12.9v. I pressed the 2amps button and she immediately showed 42%, 12.8v (on the charger)

8/2, 10:30am, 45%, 12.9v on the 2amps setting.

two hours later, she's showing the same thing.

I don't have a load tester. I have not noticed any diminished performance.

Next steps?

Thank you.

Leave it on the ProLogix vs the BT. My 2310 has revived several batteries that wouldn’t start even with a jump. Before winter, I run 1-2 days on each battery for those being stored over the winter, then I have NOCO 2Ds to float them thru the winter. I’ve got an Interstate that has measured 11.1 at least 3 times that the ProLogix has revived… IMO it’s the best bargain available. You can use inferior float chargers to maintain, but the ProLogix is a work of magic…

Leave it on the ProLogix vs the BT. My 2310 has revived several batteries that wouldn’t start even with a jump. Before winter, I run 1-2 days on each battery for those being stored over the winter, then I have NOCO 2Ds to float them thru the winter. I’ve got an Interstate that has measured 11.1 at least 3 times that the ProLogix has revived… IMO it’s the best bargain available. You can use inferior float chargers to maintain, but the ProLogix is a work of magic…

I totally agree with you re the ProLogix. I try to let it sit on there for a few days every month.

8/2
5:00pm

12.9v
45%
charging light solid.

Made no sense to me.

Press button to change to 10a charge
31%
14.4v
Charging light flashes then goes solid.

No errors.

Thought it would be worth it to pull the battery box cover off and connect directly.

Nice and warm.

2A charge
32%
12.3v

Pulled the caps for the first time ever.

Battery is not level in the boat and leans towards the v hill and negative side of the battery.

That cell was low on fluid. Possibly too low!

Once I added water to a few cells she is back to 0% and 11.6v. Quickly went to 12.2 on 2A charge.

Aways thought she was sealed so I never check the water.

Time to leave her alone overnight and see what happens.

Then possibly Walmart for a new battery.

Going to level this or the next battery too. Not sure if it matters.

Last edited:
Trolling motor battery, Group 24, used for a 55# trolling motor on a 14' alumacraft.

Yes, it is 5 years old, well maintained, always charged after a trip, usually with a 0.75a Battery Tender Jr. Yes, I realize that's a bit weak, but usually in a few days she is back to 100%.

Using a Pro-logix PL2320 that has served me well.

Came home from a very windy day. Hooked her up as soon as we got home to the Pro-Logix.

8/1, 9pm, 0%, 11.44v (multimeter reading). Charging started at 10amps

8/2, 8am, 100%, 12.9v. I pressed the 2amps button and she immediately showed 42%, 12.8v (on the charger)

8/2, 10:30am, 45%, 12.9v on the 2amps setting.

two hours later, she's showing the same thing.

I don't have a load tester. I have not noticed any diminished performance.

Next steps?

Thank you.
Not sure what you’re asking. You missed all the good charging details in between.

op,

My Prologix goes to as high as 15.4V before charging is complete. I always thought 15.4V is a little too high. It does the same with new or older batteries. Does your ever go higher than 12.9V?

When it's done, I see %100 but I never switch the amp setting during or after a charge. I start with 2,6 or 10A and don't mess with it until it's done!

If you want to try another setting after its done and I don't see why, I would turn it off, disconnect it from the battery and then remove power ... then start all over again. Connect to battery, then power, select battery type and amp, press start and don't mess with it. lol

Last edited:
op,

My Prologix goes to as high as 15.4V before charging is complete. I always thought 15.4V is a little too high. It does the same with new or older batteries. Does your ever go higher than 12.9V?

When it's done, I see %100 but I never switch the amp setting during or after a charge. I start with 2,6 or 10A and don't mess with it until it's done!

If you want to try another setting after its done and I don't see why, I would turn it off, disconnect it from the battery and then remove power ... then start all over again. Connect to battery, then power, select battery type and amp, press start and don't mess with it. lol
And make sure the negative is connected as far away from the battery as possible to a good chassis ground.

Not sure what you’re saying.

With numbers like I posted, is this thing salvageable?
What we don’t know is if the charger tried to get the voltage up higher, which would imply a higher current charge.

Should be seeing >14v when it’s pushing in full 12hr time lapse doesn’t really indicate if this is the case.

You had a depleted battery, it could need nearly 100Ah to charge. Sitting on a charger at 10A for 12 hours in theory would get you there, but if it couldn’t push 10A in then it could take much longer. It’s likely that the charger pulled back current and the battery resistance is higher, so it’s just charging slowly. That may not matter for your use.

You need a specific gravity meter if you really want to test the health of the battery. All cells should read 1.27 when fully charged.
You need to be charging that battery at a C10 rate, meaning 10 Amps if it is a 100Ah battery or 20A for a 200Ah battery. A low charge rate like your charger puts out is not going to blow any crystals off the lead plates, so your battery will sulfate.

Back