Please recommend TPMS Replacements

There is still drop in pressure. And even if sensor blew off, he should get warning that communication between module and sensor is lost.
Well yea, but in a blowout, air pressure is gone instantly for all intents and purposes. Sure you get a warning, but you're riding on a rim at that time.

There is still drop in pressure. And even if sensor blew off, he should get warning that communication between module and sensor is lost.
Based on my experience, a good sensor reports home every minute or so, but the TPMS system is willing to accept "missed comms" for about 15 minutes before lighting the light. This is to allow for RF interference and other gremlins.

I got some generic chevy sensors on ebay, they're garbage. Program them once then if you let all the air out of the tire they won't "come back".

Based on my experience, a good sensor reports home every minute or so, but the TPMS system is willing to accept "missed comms" for about 15 minutes before lighting the light. This is to allow for RF interference and other gremlins.

I got some generic chevy sensors on ebay, they're garbage. Program them once then if you let all the air out of the tire they won't "come back".
Depends on the system. In Tiguan, it will light up after few hundred yards after for example I put new sensors. It will take few miles to selflearn. In BMW it will go off immediately if something is wrong with communication (new sensor for example) and will ask you to reset.

Blow out and no warning? Junk sensors is my bet.

TPMS sensors Just ordered a kit of 4 sensors and also a relearning tool from Amazon before i read this tread. Lets see if i made a big mistake when i get them and the studded winter tires on the car. Still about 8-12weeks before its time for winter wheels so its plenty of time to get them shipped to me in Sweden.

Reactions: JTK
I only use OEM sensors. Aftermarket sensors only last half as long as OEM. Money saved on sensors isn't worth the price difference with additional mounting and balancing with aftermarket sensors short life not to mention inconvenience.
I would personally prefer to disable it being a gearhead and not a mindless average driver.

I use a piece of electrical tape over the tire icon on several sets of 8x180mm 2011 and newer wheel sets.
Tape also works when you move one set of tires and wheels from one truck to another.

Depends on the system. In Tiguan, it will light up after few hundred yards after for example I put new sensors. It will take few miles to selflearn. In BMW it will go off immediately if something is wrong with communication (new sensor for example) and will ask you to reset.

Blow out and no warning? Junk sensors is my bet.
The American systems will self-learn. You need a learn tool, brand-specific software or the OE diagnostics software for Japanese and Korean cars. However, Toyota did add self-learn in the 2018-2021 Tundra/Sequoia and possibly other cars.

Going with the Schrader 29166's for my 2022 Nissan Frontier turned into a bit of a cluster for me. They were sold (on amazon) as being programmed and ready to go for my specific vehicle, but they were not. They are set to 315mhz, when my truck needs 433mhz. These sensors are dual frequency capable.

The problem seems to be, my tire shop's autel TS508 can only scan, relearn and diag Schrader TPMS sensors. It can't "program" them and programming is required to change the frequency of them. The tire shop tried one of their other TPMS scanners, but that one wouldn't work either.

Schrader's website lists a whole slew of compatible readers/scanners that will program Schraders. Autel is not on the list.

Word to those more talented than I... if you are buying your own TPMS sensors, the best deal seems to be buying an Autel TPMS tool with a set of autel sensors for ~$300 ish.

Or use what your tire shop carries and/or recommends.

This all began when I bought a set of factory take-off 2022 Nissan Frontier 17" aluminum wheels to replace the 16" steelies that came with the truck. I left the 16's intact w/ factory TPMS sensors.

Here is the generic 315 MHz version for GM. This works best when you have access to a cheap Indy tire shop and it won’t break the bank of one fails early.

E353E89D-1F93-499E-B752-CC0BCA5E55C3.jpeg

I bought a set of Autel MX sensors originally to do a fun project: pressurized canister TPMS cheating device, because the TPMS and the valve could be separated and therefore the canister could be small. I decided not to do it in the end as installing the TPMS is actually cheaper than making this canister (American Tires only charged me $10 per to install), and letting it read the real tire pressure is safer.

So I tried programming it, but somehow the Autel tool I bought from Amazon couldn't program it right, either read the can bus wrong or program the sensor wrong. Went to American Tires and their Autel tool seems to work fine.

I think if I were to do it again I would buy the same vendor sensor as OEM, which is Pacific in my case (Lexus / Toyota), instead of being adventure with other brands.

I ordered up a 315 Mhz sensor for my 2008 Suburban. I’m about to put on winters so when I take the summers off I’ll take the rear drivers side tire to the tire shop where they’ll bust the bead and install the new sensor for $10. I have about a year left on those summers so I’m willing to take the chance the other three sensors will make for a year. They’re four years oil.

I’m in need of TPMS replacement apparently on my 2018 F250
RockAuto shows three Schrader options for my truck
How do you know which one is correct ??
There’s part number 20452 29025 and 20280

20280 was replaced by 20452 so they are essentially the same sensor. 29025 is a clamp in style. Take a look at your wheels and see if your valve stem is rubber or metal to see which one you need.

Rubber

TPMS sensors Just ordered a kit of 4 sensors and also a relearning tool from Amazon before i read this tread. Lets see if i made a big mistake when i get them and the studded winter tires on the car. Still about 8-12weeks before its time for winter wheels so its plenty of time to get them shipped to me in Sweden.

Little update on the TPMS i bought.
Installed and paired with my Silverado and no issues so far. To early to say how long they will last but so far it works great and the relearn to pair them to vehicle was really smooth and easy to do.
TPMS sensors
EL-50448 Relearn tool

Back