TPMS for Idiots please

How did we ever make it over a 100 years without TPMS?
Same as everything else. Advances in safety and convenience but could lead to loss of skills and may increase longevity.

How is your air conditioning, heating, indoor plumbing, supermarket to buy food, performance fabrics, insulation clothes and house etc., etc.

Can't imagine they are the originals on a 14 year old car but probably the second set and one or more of the batteries died. If you want the TPMS system working, one or more sensors will need to be replaced. If you don't care, maybe some black electrical tape over the light.
My Lexus had 1 out of battery 2 years ago, it was an 08 so 13-14 years can happen if the original was well made and you don't drive it too much.

My Lexus had 1 out of battery 2 years ago, it was an 08 so 13-14 years can happen if the original was well made and you don't drive it too much.
I don't think the TPMS transmitter knows when you are driving or not. Just reports periodically no matter what.

Weather (temperature) I'd think wpuld be the biggest factor in battery longevity.

I don't think the TPMS transmitter knows when you are driving or not. Just reports periodically no matter what.

Weather (temperature) I'd think wpuld be the biggest factor in battery longevity.

"TPMS sensors have their own battery power supply and communications are usually handled by the same wireless receiver used for keyless entry. The wireless receiver typically communicates tire pressure data via the CAN so that the onboard systems can leverage that data for safe vehicle operation. Sensors generally transmit information once every 30 minutes when idle/parked. The update rate typically increases to about 1 Hz when the sensors can identify that the vehicle is no longer at a standstill. For most systems, this threshold occurs at speeds greater than 30 mph."

If I understand this correctly they do have a way to know approximately when the car is moving at certain speed. Maybe not exactly 30mph like they do but some sort of wheel rpm or centrifuge force?

If it costs too much to replace the TPMS sensors with an empty battery, we can bridge the pin on the TPMS receiver. Take a look at the Toyota forums for that. It will shut off the TPMS warning. However, if your states does not required TPMS to pass MOT, just leave it alone and check the pressure tires on the old fashion way.

How did we ever make it over a 100 years without TPMS?
Same way we made it 10k years without refrigeration. Luck of the draw.

3k years ago...... "Hey Neighbor hut dweller, what happened to the Smiths over on Cave Parkway?"

"Them, they ate some bad stew and died. The had a big batch of possum go bad, we think. Poop and vomit all over the hut - their kids can't even sell the place now."

Back