Please recommend TPMS Replacements

So on my 2018 Silverado 3500 WT needs new tires. I've been wanting up upgrade the factory steel wheels, so I just recently bought these polished aluminum factory take-off's....

I could have the tire shop remove the old tires from the steelies and re-use the TPMS's, or I could buy a new set (the original factory ones are already 5.5 years old).

Can you guys recommend a brand and/or source for a new set of TPMS's?

Attachments

• Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Silverado 3500.jpg
    Silverado 3500.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 34
Buy the time you purchase sensors (with no warranty), then pay the shop to install and program them, it's often the same cost just to pay a shop to supply and install them. They'll warranty them for a short period of time plus if you get a dud, that's on you to replace vs with them, they'd just pull another one out of their parts bin.

Buy the time you purchase sensors (with no warranty), then pay the shop to install and program them, it's often the same cost just to pay a shop to supply and install them. They'll warranty them for a short period of time plus if you get a dud, that's on you to replace vs with them, they'd just pull another one out of their parts bin.
+1

I bought my own sensors (name brand) carried them into discount tire when I had new tires replaced, they installed and they worked for about a week and died. 6yrs later TPMS light is still on.. haha

buy them from discount tire. I had to have them put three different sets into my car before they found one that worked. They foot the bill for that. I think they charge 45 dollars each sensor.

TPMS is a joke. See if there’s a way to disable the system. If people check their pressures regularly we wouldn’t need nonsense. What ever you do don’t be that guy and use PVC pipe with sensors installed filled with air to trick the system like their installed.

Someone did not read opening post.
Did you and Rand read the second paragraph? OP wrote, "I could have the tire shop remove the old tires from the steelies and re-use the TPMS's, or I could buy a new set..." Obviously, the tire shop has to remove worn out tires to recycle them, which leaves the still working OEM sensors exposed. OP, why replace the OEM sensors that may last another 5 years if you drive 10-12k miles per year?

Last edited:
I use ones from Autel. You can find them for about $20-25 each. Also have an Autel TS508 to program the sensors but I think any other tool can program them.

How long do you expect tires on the new rims to last? If about 5 years then you may consider a new set of TPMS sensors in those new rims.
Here is what I did with my daughter's car rims - got Autel kit with TS508 tool and 8 dual freq sensors (C$447 to my door, that's about US$330), programmed sensors to match ECM recorded sensors, installed sensors and tires. I know tires will last about as long as sensors so I don't need to worry for about 5 years. I still have another 4x sensors left that can be used in winter tires. And I still have the tool that I expect to last me lifetime. I did install sensors and tires including balancing myself thou. I didn't use alum sensor stems (were included in kit) but plastic/rubber ones as I think they fair better, didn't care about upscale look.
You can sure get OEM sensors, they do seem to last longer than 5 years. Autel sensors are US$25 ea and normally last 5 years.

Last edited:
We use universal sensors at our shop now. For the most part they’re ok, but we’ve had some come back dead (and we’ve only been using them a year and a half or two tops) and I’ve had a couple that refused to program off the bat.

They’re “Xtra seal smart sensor pro”

We use universal sensors at our shop now
I think more and more shops are moving to those. Cuts down their inventory drastically.

Walmart uses Bartec Rite Sensors for $28.88 a wheel, programmed and installed.
Interesting.. its $60 at Discount tire
I bought a set of Schrader TPMS and took them to Walmart to install - $5/tire for install + programming. They broke one and put the old one back in and hoped for the best. They put the old ones back in the boxes, except one.... but didn't say anything and I didn't pay attention until later. In less than a week, the light came back on, pretty much indicating a dead battery in that "old" sensor.

Back