2016 Toyota Sienna TPMS Options?

Objective: Want to clone four new TPMS sensors in my 2016 Toyota Sienna for a set of winter wheels/tires. At RockAuto they have SCHRADER 29105 which indicate "No programming required before installation - follow OE relearn procedure after installation." - and - "Sensor comes pre-programmed to your specific make, model and year vehicle for quick and easy replacement."

Any experience with these? Are there better options?

My plan is to wait for Costco to have their fall Bridgestone sale and pick up a set of four Blizzak tires. Want to source the TPMS sensors in advance.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

If you want to "CLONE" four sensors then you need programmable sensors. Cloning means that you're assigning the same serial number to another sensor. You would have two sets of sensors with the same serial numbers. Sensors such as Autel's 1-Sensor, Schrader's EZ-sensor, etc., all require their own specific tool to write the serial number onto the sensor. If you buy blank sensors then you'll need a shop with the proper tool for the specific sensor.

As atikovi says, your vehicle may not care if you change sensor serial numbers and it will relearn the new serial numbers on its own. If your vehicle does this then it's cheaper and easier to buy sensors that are already programmed. All you have to do is have the new sensors installed when you replace your tires and you're done. The vehicle relearns the new serial number and you don't have to mess with getting the sensors programmed.

So, cloning would require that you program your new sensors for your specific vehicle year, make, model along with transferring the serial number from an already installed sensor onto the new sensor.

Buying pre-programmed sensors would require that the new serial number be updated on the vehicles body control module. Apparently your Toyota will do this automatically when you push the TPMS reset button under the dash.

The Schrader sensors that you have picked out from RockAuto should serve you well.

Buying pre-programmed sensors would require that the new serial number be updated on the vehicles body control module. Apparently your Toyota will do this automatically when you push the TPMS reset button under the dash.

The Schrader sensors that you have picked out from RockAuto should serve you well.
If I can buy the Schrader sensors and push a button under the dash, won't have to pay a shop to program them or buy an expensive tool, then that's what I want to do. I'll have to research this further to make sure this is the case.

Unfortunately, I just reviewed the owner's manual for a 2016 Sienna and it states on pages 493-494 that you must take the vehicle to the dealership to have the new sensor serial number written on the vehicle's body control module. It will not automatically relearn the serial number.

So, I would simply ask the people at Costco if their tool will connect to your vehicle and write the new serial numbers. They should have a tool to do this.

So, I would simply ask the people at Costco if their tool will connect to your vehicle and write the new serial numbers. They should have a tool to do this.
Does anyone have experiance with Costco in this scenario? As in you purchase your own TPMS sensors and have them install and program them?

Toyota needs to have its computer programmed with the 7-character hexadecimal serial number of its (new) sensors.

Carista does this, for a fee. $10 per week, so $20 a year for you.

As far as buying sensors, I like the "Pacific" brand from ebay. Can get four for $50 or so. Pacific is OE to Denso which is OE to Toyota. But if you're having a shop put them in they will likely want to source them themselves.

Finally, if you have OE aluminum wheels but want to source aftermarket steelies, beware they might take a different sensor due to their thickness and shape.

I'm not aware of aftermarket Toyota sensors that could be cloned, but the upfront price could be worth it with a 5-year payback.

Last edited:
You would need an OBD relearn capable TPMS tool to rewrite sensor IDs every time you swap wheels

The more advanced could possibly get universal TPMS sensors, copy the Hex IDs over, and essentially trick the car into thinking nothing's changed everytime you swap wheels for seasons

I'm not sure how well that would work, especially if you store the summer set of rims in the garage that you park the vehicle in, it might get confused 🤔

But certainly an option to consider

Here I am demonstrating OBD TPMS relearn on a late model Toyota project (Project xB 👀)

You would need an OBD relearn capable TPMS tool to rewrite sensor IDs every time you swap wheels

The more advanced could possibly get universal TPMS sensors, copy the Hex IDs over, and essentially trick the car into thinking nothing's changed everytime you swap wheels for seasons

I'm not sure how well that would work, especially if you store the summer set of rims in the garage that you park the vehicle in, it might get confused 🤔

But certainly an option to consider

Here I am demonstrating OBD TPMS relearn on a late model Toyota project (Project xB 👀)
So that's what I was looking at. A TS508 - $279 and a set of Autel TPMS for $119. Just wondering if there was more cost effective solution?

Objective: Want to clone four new TPMS sensors in my 2016 Toyota Sienna for a set of winter wheels/tires. At RockAuto they have SCHRADER 29105 which indicate "No programming required before installation - follow OE relearn procedure after installation." - and - "Sensor comes pre-programmed to your specific make, model and year vehicle for quick and easy replacement."

Any experience with these? Are there better options?

My plan is to wait for Costco to have their fall Bridgestone sale and pick up a set of four Blizzak tires. Want to source the TPMS sensors in advance.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
I just called my Costco and was told they won’t install my Rock Auto TPMS. They said corporate doesn’t let them. I believe the ones they use Dill? Sensors. This was for my 2008 Toyota Highlander.

I just called my Costco and was told they won’t install my Rock Auto TPMS. They said corporate doesn’t let them. I believe the ones they use Dill? Sensors. This was for my 2008 Toyota Highlander.
Did you by chance get a price for that? Four sensors installed? Programmed?

Sensors, $35/4

Carista, $30 plus $10 per month, or

Sketchy Techstream, $26 plus your old 32-bit win xp laptop

and of course the Harbor Freight tire changer for $40. Using it to change tires is a 8/10 in difficulty, but breaking beads is a 2/10 and you can slip the sensors in that way without disturbing the balance.
I think eventually it will be worth it to invest in the Autel equipment. In the short term, doing a cost/benefit analysis, looking like I'm heading to HF tomorrow to buy the tire tool. I'll buy the tires from DTD and mount them myself. Once mounted, I'll take them to my tire shop OR my Honda dealer who will balance them. Then, I'll live with a GD idiot light for four months out of the year. DONE!

I'll buy the tires from DTD and mount them myself. Once mounted, I'll take them to my tire shop OR my Honda dealer who will balance them. Then, I'll live with a GD idiot light for four months out of the year. DONE!
I thought we were discussing a Toyota Sienna and buying winter tires on sale at Costco. How did a Honda dealership come into this equation and now talking of hand mounting? I don't think you'll be pleased with that endeavor.

If you lived about 2000 miles closer I'd be happy to clone a set of sensors for you. I use the Autel 1-sensor and they cost me about $30 each.

You should try going on a local car forum and asking if someone in your vicinity has the equipment to do the job. You can buy the sensors from any of the major auto parts stores and if someone in your area will program them then you're home free.

There are NAPA stores everywhere and here is one example of a rubber stemmed programmable sensor. You often pay a few dollars more to buy the metal stemmed sensors but for winter tire use I highly suggest you use rubber stems.
1-sensor NAPA.JPG

Last edited:
My family mostly owns Toyota. So its basically a fleet that I maintain. Sketchy toyota techstream on an old Lennovo laptop has served me well.

Doing a little foot work here...

Costco would charge $186 for a set of Dill sensors programmed. They don't "clone" sensors so I would have to have my summer tires reprogrammed in spring. Said they don't charge for that. Overall that's probably the least upfront cost.

Then my local trusted mom&pop tire store sells Schrader sensors for $68.95 programmed. They can clone my summer wheels but said I'd likely have to have them reprogrammed anyway because quote, it's "a Toyota thing". Which I've heard my factory sensors can and will give me problems over time.

If I had a laptop, I'd be interested in the Toyota software, but I don't. Too bad there's not a smart phone app for that...

More and more looking like the Autel 508 is the smart choice and would be a valuable tool for years to come.

Back