TPMS coding on 2015 Toyota Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,
Help with this unbelievable, most ridiculous thing I have witnessed so far.
So, last fall I buy second set of wheels for Sienna for snow tires. I put TPMS sensors on wheels. Well, sam eday, blinking light shows up on dash board like something is wrong with sensors. OK, went back to Discount Tire where they said that my sensors need to be registered. I was like dumbfounded that this uber reliable, super simple manufacturer called Toyota has such system, but whatever, they registered sensors, everything was fine.
Fast forward to yesterday. I take off snow tires, put back all seasons in garage, take car for a spin and to check pressure and again, blinking TPMS light. I was at that point seriously confused. So, rewinding tape, I figured that maybe DT guy deleted old sensors from ECU, so I go this morning to dealership to ask if they can shed some light on this mystery that is on par with launching space shuttle. Apparently TPMS is super complex for Toyota engineers. So, according to Toyota guys, every time I switch wheels, I have to register sensors. Now, I would really like to sit down with person who figured that kind of system, and have a lunch, just to see what is going on (or not) in his or her head, but can someone point on any good OBD tool that can deal with this stupidity? Any advice is useful except one I got from dealership: just keep same wheels on.
Edit: Per TOY-2 procedure, every time wheels are swapped sensors must be registered by OBD tool. So, if anyone knows good OBD tool for this ridicilous thing, I would appreciate.

Last edited:
Yep, Toyota uses (used?) a super-stupid system. Only remembers 4 sensors -- at least that is how my two older Toyota's work, and it sounds just like yours is the same. Just an idiot light on the dash, right?

Go on ebay and look for Techstream. AFAIK you need WinXP to run it on, unless if you are a computer wizard and can do a virtual machine or whatever is required to run on Win10.

That or invest in some black tape. After own a VW I got real used to seeing yellow lights on the dash--and ignoring them. My two Toyota's with TPMS run snow tires but without TPMS so the light is on for six months of the year. The Tundra, always now, as one sensor went dead and the Dorman didn't register initially, and I've been too lazy to try to enter it again.

I recall a mod online where one can find the wire going from the TPMS receiver to the ECU, and disabling the light, but that was for Tundra, and might be beyond what you want to try.

You do know that almost all TPM systems only store one set of sensors at a time, right? That's not a Toyota thing. When you swap sensors, you have to register them. Every time.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
You do know that almost all TPM systems only store one set of sensors at a time, right? That's not a Toyota thing. When you swap sensors, you have to register them. Every time.

No I do not know, because cars I had before, and I still have (VW Tiguan) automatically register sensors on new set of wheels. I have Tiguan with two sets of wheels, and do not have to do this ridiculous thing. It registers sensors 5-10 minutes after I started to drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Can you disable the system entirely?

Asked that question, answer: take out light bulb from dash.

X2 on techstream. Ebay has you covered for $15 and there's much more it can do as well.

You will want to write down your alphanumeric sensor codes-- the only other way a mere mortal can get them is to break the tire beads and read them off the sensors. Not hard, but hard.

TS will give you the data from your current sensors including codes, so do a screen grab and write the data down somewhere. While at it, I would go around deflating tires one-by-one so you can tell which corner is which.

Originally Posted by eljefino
X2 on techstream. Ebay has you covered for $15 and there's much more it can do as well.

You will want to write down your alphanumeric sensor codes-- the only other way a mere mortal can get them is to break the tire beads and read them off the sensors. Not hard, but hard.

TS will give you the data from your current sensors including codes, so do a screen grab and write the data down somewhere. While at it, I would go around deflating tires one-by-one so you can tell which corner is which.

Thanx. I will check out that.

Originally Posted by edyvw

No I do not know, because cars I had before, and I still have (VW Tiguan) automatically register sensors on new set of wheels. I have Tiguan with two sets of wheels, and do not have to do this ridiculous thing. It registers sensors 5-10 minutes after I started to drive.

I don't know what system your TIguan had, as some have in-direct sensors and some don't. However, you are correct. The VW's and many Chrysler vehicles learn sensors by themselves, however they are FAR and away the outliers. I know for sure you need a tool and a reset procedure on ALL of the below:

Honda/Acura
Hyundai/Kia
Toyota/Lexus
Ford/Lincoln
All GM
Subaru

And I'm sure many more. It's certainly not uncommon.

Maybe you should one run single Google search, and try it, instead of ranting here first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdFbfJ7NZjs

Title of video: "Had to reset the TPMS on my 2015 Sienna. Button underneath Steering Wheel."

My 2010 Corolla has a TPMS button under the dashboard. I press it. Problem solved.

I don't love the TPMS system, or defend it. But I understand it well enough to realize, there has to be a way for a vehicle to distinguish its TPMS transmitters from the ones on the vehicle parked beside it.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Maybe you should one run single Google search, and try it, instead of ranting here first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdFbfJ7NZjs

Title of video: "Had to reset the TPMS on my 2015 Sienna. Button underneath Steering Wheel."

My 2010 Corolla has a TPMS button under the dashboard. I press it. Problem solved.

I don't love the TPMS system, or defend it. But I understand it well enough to realize, there has to be a way for a vehicle to distinguish its TPMS transmitters from the ones on the vehicle parked beside it.

Maybe you should watch video (or for example, that what you referring is on the page 488 of owners manual, which I read to see is there some guidance), than read what I asked, and you would come to conclusion that button does not have to do anything with this issue.
There is a way for vehicle to distinguish, my VW Tiguan distinguishes sensors on the wheels on the car from those on wheels next to the car that are stored for another season. Same was with BMW. It never confused sensors on vehicle from those on another set of wheels that are next to the car for another season.
But, all things considered, I can see how this can be problem for Toyota.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

I don't know what system your TIguan had, as some have in-direct sensors and some don't. However, you are correct. The VW's and many Chrysler vehicles learn sensors by themselves, however they are FAR and away the outliers. I know for sure you need a tool and a reset procedure on ALL of the below:

Honda/Acura
Hyundai/Kia
Toyota/Lexus
Ford/Lincoln
All GM
Subaru

And I'm sure many more. It's certainly not uncommon.

BMW I had learned on its own. I do not know is it common or not, but it does not make any sense since obviously there is a way for vehicle to learn on its own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back